Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pyrocantaes

Ceramic bowls - another tedium

Breaking Bowls   27 members have voted

1. 1. How should the bowl breaking mechanic be changed?

• Bowls have a 25% chance of breaking, but you will only get 1 bowl for every 5 clay, instead of the current 4 bowls.
    • Bowls have a 50% chance of breaking, but you will only get 2 bowls for every 5 clay, instead of the current 4 bowls.
    • Don't change the mechanic.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 posts in this topic

I like the idea of keeping "pottery part of the game throughout all of the tiers." I always thought pottery was seen as simply an early-game mechanic. I'm glad to see it's not meant to be like that because I like digging out clay, collecting clay, and making things with clay. (Thanks again for the clay flower pots!)

now if only we could make clay blocks and hardened clay again. :P

now if only we could make clay blocks and hardened clay again. :P

And an actual Kiln, because it makes no sense to be in High tier metal and still have to dig a hole on the ground to make ingot molds.

I know we have an add-on for that, but it should be a integral part of the mod.

Sorry bunsan, I couldn't resist the opportunity. 

I will try and refrain myself. Is just that all this discussion about the salad bows were relevant before the sandwiches,  now a days I can play the mod without ever eating a salad and only making bowls to make gold pans.

Derp. I wanted to suggest players not being able to make salads anywhere they like, but of course you can bring the whole kitchen with you.

Edited by Terex

I appreciate the explanation. I guess I don't see the appeal in keeping pottery a big part of the late game. Personally, I find the constant need for new bowls annoying, and that just makes me less likely to do it. I'm not arguing that bowls should never break. I think they should break, and you would still need to make bowls—just less often. Either way, I would love the savings on pit kiln materials.

Interesting that the straw poll survey shows only a slight preference for option 1, while the poll here on the topic shows a huge preference for option 1.

If you want more pottery, maybe vessels should have a small chance of breaking as well, so you would need to make more occasionally.

As far as continued need for pottery goes, I thought I saw mention somewhere of a possible plan for casseroles.  If those are better than sandwiches, maybe they are the best way to keep pottery a thing, via some sort of breaking dish.  Rather than the inferior salad that is only really a thing until you get a quern.  Like someone said earlier, I prefer to not even make salads at all.  Just get to sandwiches as fast as possible.  Also if there were decorative items of clay - flower pots and such - that might help keep clay in use longer.

This was added in 0.79.21 by kitty without being asked. http://terrafirmacraft.com/change_log.html

The difference between here and straw poll is that here they are likely to read thread and straw poll is just their own thoughts for the most part.

Personally, I find the constant need for new bowls annoying, and that just makes me less likely to do it. I'm not arguing that bowls should never break. 

This is how I feel.  I'm not arguing one way or the other but when my first set of bowls broke I quickly started making sandwiches and forgot about bowls entirely.  Problem solved.

Because the straw poll is so evenly divided, I'm just going to go with the 50% chance, 2 bowls per 5 clay as a compromise. Also, another argument that came up for leaving it the way it is is that players now have to worry about having an extra inventory slot open for the bowls they get back when they are out travelling. Before, you would leave with 4 slots full of salads in a vessel, and end up with 4 empty slots for other stuff. Now you'll leave with 4 slots full of salads in a vessel, and only have 3 slots once you've eaten them all, using the 4th to keep your precious dirty dishes.

What about removing RNG altogether and give jugs and bowls a invisible durability bar so it always breaks after X uses.

• That removes the fun and superstition. You get a laugh out of a ceramic jug breaking on the very first use, and have the RNG to curse and pretend to try and satisfy it so that hopefully doesn't happen on the next jug.
  • Bowls with different number of uses left would not stack, and if the durability bar is invisible, it won't make sense as to why some stack and why some don't.

One thing that might make me more likely to use ceramic bowls in the late game would be if there was a pottery skill that actually had some kind of benefit. That would be cool.

Because the straw poll is so evenly divided, I'm just going to go with the 50% chance, 2 bowls per 5 clay as a compromise.

Not exactly what I wanted, but better than before, IMO. Glad you are here to listen to us fans. :)

Also, another argument that came up for leaving it the way it is is that players now have to worry about having an extra inventory slot open for the bowls they get back when they are out travelling. Before, you would leave with 4 slots full of salads in a vessel, and end up with 4 empty slots for other stuff. Now you'll leave with 4 slots full of salads in a vessel, and only have 3 slots once you've eaten them all, using the 4th to keep your precious dirty dishes.

I don't get it. When I'm traveling a long ways, I usually bring extra food to make more salads/sandwiches when I run out. In that case I'd love to keep my bowls. But if you want the open slots and don't care about bowls, just throw them away. You're not forced to keep them.

What would really balance this yet apease everyone, both early game and late game?Just add plastic later so we can make containers and rudimentary plastic bowls/plates. Pottery is part of the stone age and will most likely go up to the medival age and a bit beyond sicne we are 'primitive' currently but being able to make higher durability cooking utensils late game would stop the tedium and help keep the cooking mechanic balanced as well as keep a progression to it without getting bottlenecked to boredom overtime... the constant need of salad bowls wore me down and all I ever make them for now is gold panning since all you need is a grain and sandwhiches become the better way to do it.Just the way I see it, a simple solution to a slightly complex issue as well as the containers adding more food storage options.

I don't know the master plan for TFC2, but I'm guessing plastic is a no-go. 

Honestly, it may be best to re-think the early combo-food.  I think everyone prefers sandwiches right now, as the thing they require - the bread - is also food, and is relatively quick to prepare.  You have to have a quorn, so there's a tech gate, but once you're got that it's fairly trivial to make bread. Salad bowls take a bunch of time EVERY time, and are for a lower-tier food, compared to bread which cooks in under a minute I think.   Maybe the lowest tier food needs to be made to 'kebabs'.  So the player uses a stick, skewers some stuff on it, and cooks it for a minute.  Early game, sticks are somewhat valuable, so that's a cost.  And then the cooking on the campfire takes a little time (raw kebab gives no satiation). Then sandwich is the next tier, and then, bowls can be used for a higher tier item - stew.  If they're better than sandwiches, people will (hopefully) use them - as opposed to skipping salads entirely, which I think is what a lot of people (especially experienced people) do right now - and it will help keep clay as useful in the later game. 

I really doubt we'll see plastic in TFCraft.

I almost skipped salads entirely.  I made a set of bowls, discovered they are paper plates and moved on to sandwiches.

Perhaps food could be rethought into travel rations and home meals.  Most people don't (and didn't) carry food around with them in a pot, they went to a central location and prepared food or ate the food which was prepared for them in that location.  Travel ready food is bound to be less nutritious and sustaining.