Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Skavaro

Block breaking time too long for aesthetic building

10 posts in this topic

As the title already includes, i do not like the time it takes to break blocks i placed myself. A brief explanation of what I mean to the guys not having built bigger houses of stone yet in the new 79 build:

Stones (Smooth, Bricks) take very long to mine and wood to my opinion as well. I think this was made so that they can better withstand creeper explosions. However if you are more the builder type and want to have an aestheticly pleasing home you end up frequently trying out something, reconsidering and breaking it down again. The point now is, that the breaking it down again takes a hell of time. I already have changed a wall a few times but even now i am not really happy with how it looks but i dont change it because it takes too long to do so. This is currently one of the major draws in this build for me and i think it has never been mentioned before. So I would like to hear the opinion of some other people, if they feel the same or not. It would also be nice if a dev or kitty or anyone understanding the code could clarify if the "increased block durability - creeper resistance - mining time" do accually depend on each other. This is just a gess i made, based on a changelog i think, so it might be wrong and the increase in mining time had some other reason.

But again - minecraft is for me about building things and this sometimes also requires trying out and taking them apart again. This however is currently taking too long.

Possible solutions: simple and fast - config file line where one can decrease mining time for Stones (smooth, bricks, stairs, chiseled etc) and Wood (planks etc.) (you will just have to watch out that creepers do not explode near your house but im totally willing to take that risk), a new tool to tear down own structures faster or something similar... maybe someone else has a better idea...

Block hardness and blast resistance are not actually related. b79's increase to stone bricks hardness is to make it viable as a defensive material... but defending against other players, not creepers. TFC is intended to be played in multiplayer.

If you're going to build with stone, you should probably plan things out before you build them. That's typically true in real life too.

I agree, breaking smooth stone takes uncomfortably long now. I don't know why this was increased from b78 going to b79.

To piggy back on what CalangoMC and kaldskryke said, the main reason that you feel that it is taking a painfully slow time to break is most likely because you are using very low tier tool. As you progress up through the tiers of metals, each tool has both more durability and higher efficiency (mines blocks faster).

Building out of stone takes a lot of planning, such planning that may not be evident in a person who has only just figured out how to make a copper pickaxe. If you want to make a big fancy house and not have to worry about how long it takes to break things, you should probably first look into upgrading your tools to make life easier. It's not impossible to make the beautiful builds with just copper tools, and if you are truly dedicated you can do it, but the higher tier tools are there for a reason.

To also compare with vanilla balancing - it is fairly rare for a player to clear out an entire mountain with only stone tools. They can do it, but it takes forever. Even using iron is pretty uncommon. Most players would rather put in the effort to get a beacon, and enchanted diamond tools so they can do the job faster.

In essence, work smarter, not harder.

You might be right - i was using bismuth bronze tools. upgraded to wrought iron now - but i dont think thats this makes any difference yet since its only one tier higher... might try out a red steel (will cheat it for testing) pickaxe to try out how big the difference is.

Compared to the previous version breaking blocks like smooth stone is considerably slower. Also with bioxx reducing the hardness of raw stone, I believe he should do the same for cobble and smooth stone. They both take significantly longer to mine than the raw version and that doesn't really make any sense. The defensive material argument is just pure BS. It's not anywhere slow enough to actually deter a player from griefing etc if they choose to. In it's current state it just serves to waste the time of those of us who are building with it.

Wouldn't reducing the durability a bit but adding either more layers or something that could strengthen the wall or building accomplish the same thing as far as defenses go? That something could maybe be adding support beams behind a stone wall could double the durability, or just simple adding multiple layers like I said. I do agree with the incentive to pursue the higher tier tools, but increasing the durability of such awesome blocks to build with is a shame when its really only for multiplayer purposes. 

The defensive material argument is just pure BS.

Agreed. Griefers on the server I play on just lure in some creepers to do the work for them. One for the front door, another one for the inside.

Ok i now tried it out with red steel equipment and it still takes like ages. The argument of grief protection is very week in my opinion for the very reason already mentioned by others. If this does not get patched in .8 or so then maybe some mod could be made for those of us playing ssp anyway and trying to build beautiful structures. I mean i do not know the code but i guess that it cant be much but a singe value to change (ok maybe to one for bricks and one for smooth stone...) The reason why i would appreciate that i mentioned in the top post already. If you want to build nice you frequently have to try things out. kitty might be right when it comes to thinking ahead but that works for building round towers where you have to count so it looks somewhat roundish :D, it counts for how you have to place the walls such that it gets symmetrically or whatever. but wheather granit, or andesit fits better for this or that, or if the polished stones give a better foor than the bricks or vice versa that i cannot predict but have to try it out. Both ways, and then use the one i prefer - meaning that i have to remove the stones at least once. if i prefered the first, two times. and there are often more options then only two...