Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
lipki

no Inventory

14 posts in this topic

Bonjour,

Here's an idea that I had yesterday, have no inventory at the beginning of games :D

We arrive on the map with just the two pockets of our pants and our hands, where we can put light objects and tools.

This corresponds to bar 9 tools, + a slot "empty hands."

Posted Image

Oula! Hard!

We must quickly remedy this, the idea, the wicker basket / rucksack.

Posted Image

Manufacture using reeds. (Cat tails)

The reeds dry in three days, whatever its form.
Raw, braided, or basket.

Wet basket can only wear light object.
And the dry basket can wear light and medium object.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We can therefore take the objects in the basket when it is on our back, without having to pose.

-------------------------

And for heavy object?
You ask me.

Barrels !

But if you wear your barrel, you do not wear your basket, of course (Mouahahahah demonic laughter)
But you can also access the barrels while having on the back.

Posted Image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this idea will have much impact on many aspects of the game.

You tell me if it worth the blow to reflect further.

merci beaucoup pour votre attention.

The devs plan to implement clothes in the future, so there is a good chance players are supposed to spawn naked. Or perhaps wearing only underwear as some people are offended by the concept of nakedness in videogames for some reason

Either way it probably shouldn't be assumed players will always be able to start the game wearing pants with pockets

It may be realistic but not balanced at all. The player in TFC is supposed to gather many items during the first day and having that kind of inventory nerf kills the game. Not to mention that working with barrels, large vessels and anvil would be an impossible task. Unless the basket can be easily put down and picked up, unlike how currently the barrels and vessels works.

BTW, excellent job with the suggestion, you really put an effort with the drawings. This is how suggestions are made

Also, cattails are a rare find and can only be found on fresh water. An alternative with TALL grass would be a better option.

The basket can be done very quickly, is one of the first things to do when you arrive.But you right, I need to improve the system to pose/take the barrels and such.maybe ... shift-clic with hand slot.

Also, cattails are a rare find and can only be found on fresh water. An alternative with TALL grass would be a better option.

or reeds/sugarcane

If we could make it with straw, from cutting the grass. Plus if it worked like the crafting table in the sense that you make it and you get the bonus instead of getting the item. Then it would be perfect.

Hmm, I don't know how I feel about this idea. On one hand I think for this mod it makes sense... but then again I feel like it's going a LITTLE overboard on realism. Sure realistically who carries 64 rocks in the pockets, and 3 knives 1 shovel an axe and 4 stocks of rye... BUT, the game wouldn't be fun if you had to wait to get a backpack to really move materials. I mean lets be honest even with "no inventory" it still isn't logical to carry 64 bales of thatch let alone 8 of them.I think in this case it's a cool idea, but a necessary evil.

It sounds like it's something that would make a better mod than an actual implementation into the game.

I've been searching the forum for stuff related to inventory, backpacks, and storage. I'm commenting on this thread, because I think it's one of the most interesting inventory suggestions I've seen, and dovetails with some of the other suggestions I have. I realize not everyone loves the idea of limited inventory, but it doesn't have to be as annoying as many people seem to assume, if it's implemented right.

How much stuff do you really need to collect on your first day? Rocks, sticks, straw, logs, and a few tools (axe, javelin, hammer, knife). Food if you can find it. Isn't that about all you need to create a basic shelter and protect yourself? You could easily survive several days without much inventory.

As someone else mentioned, I would make it so you could use long grass, reeds, or cattails to make a basket. You could make a basket out of freshly cut materials, but its durability would be very low. If you dry them for 3 days first, the durability would be much higher. I don't think this idea would be completely game nerfing. It definitely would make the first few days more challenging. But stay with me, I have more ideas.

One way to enhance this idea would be the addition of a basketweaving skill. The higher your basketweaving skill, the more durable your baskets and the bigger you can make them. As you get access to larger baskets, your inventory would increase in much the same way your crafting grid expands with a crafting table. Baskets would have durability just like tools, and would need to be replaced eventually. I think someone else on the forums suggested that every time you open the basket, its durability would decrease slightly.

I would also extend this to leatherworking and add backpacks and tool belts to the game. I would make leather backpacks provide more inventory space than baskets, if only to provide a milestone and reward you for getting that far in the game. They would also wear out much more slowly. Tool belts could either expand your hot bar or add the ability to assign special hotkeys to quickly retrieve the tools hanging from your belt, even if they weren't in your hot bar. Also, wouldn't it be cool to have a scabbard to hang your sword from your belt?

After a while, your inventory could be just as big as, or even bigger than it is today (if you count the tool belt), except you would have to craft a new basket/backpack every now and then.

As part of this change, I would consider pressing E to be equivalent to putting your basket/backpack/barrel down—especially considering you can't do anything else while you have your inventory open anyway. So I would eliminate the need to put baskets/backpacks/barrels down to see and use what's inside them. And you should only have to seal barrels if you're carrying liquid. Of course, you should still be able to put down your basket/backpack/barrel if you want. Thus baskets would provide larger permanent storage earlier in the game. As a tradeoff, food would decay more quickly in baskets, and baskets would wear out (unlike clay vessels). Maybe baskets should also be limited to items that aren't too heavy (they're break the basket!).

Making the increase of your inventory a goal with set milestones in the game would, I think, make inventory interesting and even rewarding over time, and some of the specific suggestions I've given would actually make inventory more convenient than it was before.

Interesting ideas, unfortunately this would annoy many people as the only Stone Age storage method is vessels.

It's an interesting idea, but perhaps kind of a lot of work for something that would be little utilized. 

For one, I think players would as swiftly as possible move on to better containers.  So having a basket weaving skill seems like overkill, since it probably won't be used enough to justify having a skill.

Also, you suggest 'long grass' as an option for material, by which I take it you mean the item 'cut grass'.  But that's also available from the short grass in arid regions.  So if you were suggesting it not be attainable from short grass, that's creating more dev work, as it'd require a separate type of cut grass.  Plus people that start in arid regions are already penalized enough by having no clay in that region, without penalizing them even more by making them be unable to get a basket. I think reeds or cattails would be a better option, with cattails the go-to material.  It would give them a use, though they might need to be made self-renewing.  You need freshwater to survive anyway so it's probably not unreasonable to take cut grass out of the equation, and only accept reeds or cattails.  I'm also not sure the durability thing needs to be there.  It could be made like the crafting grid, where it's a one-time expansion as long as you don't die. 

Overall it's a little bit more interest, fits in the progression, and would not stop me from playing.  I'd be more interested if it came bundled with another use for cattails, such as also being able to use cattails to make thatch which would be solid, like grass thatch use to be.   It might be more appropriate for multiplayer where you can use teamwork to spread the load early on.

It's an interesting concept, having inventory al la Haven and Hearth, but it strays away from the basic principles that TFC has based itself on from Minecraft.

Perhaps this as an add-on would be a good idea?

Maybe make the baskets save their content but only 2 quickslot capable of holding large/heavy items. No basket juggling for you :)

As for the recipe for the basket, I'd like some sort of mix between straw, thatch, and reeds. Throe some stick in, maybe.

And of course we need more mobile storage as the player is limited. Barrel roll? Carts?

It's an interesting idea, but perhaps kind of a lot of work for something that would be little utilized. 

For one, I think players would as swiftly as possible move on to better containers.  So having a basket weaving skill seems like overkill, since it probably won't be used enough to justify having a skill.

Very good point. I keep trying to think of another use for a basket weaving skill, but I'm not coming up with much.

• Maybe there could be some advantage that baskets continue to have even when you develop leather backpacks? Like maybe they continue to be cheaper and easier than clay vessels for permanent storage.
  • Maybe it could be part of a more generic weaving/tailoring skill that would include leather backpacks and perhaps clothes if the devs ever add that. Maybe it could include the making of thatch too, with higher levels allowing you to make solid thatch.
  • Maybe grass or reeds could be required in tool recipes as the component that holds the tool head onto the stick, and the weaving skill would help improve durability of tools. There are probably other uses of reeds that we're not thinking of.

Also, you suggest 'long grass' as an option for material, by which I take it you mean the item 'cut grass'.  But that's also available from the short grass in arid regions.  So if you were suggesting it not be attainable from short grass, that's creating more dev work, as it'd require a separate type of cut grass.  Plus people that start in arid regions are already penalized enough by having no clay in that region, without penalizing them even more by making them be unable to get a basket. I think reeds or cattails would be a better option, with cattails the go-to material.  It would give them a use, though they might need to be made self-renewing.  You need freshwater to survive anyway so it's probably not unreasonable to take cut grass out of the equation, and only accept reeds or cattails.  I'm also not sure the durability thing needs to be there.  It could be made like the crafting grid, where it's a one-time expansion as long as you don't die. 

Yes, I meant cut grass. If reeds or cattails are the only option, they would need to be more common and definitely self-generating in the same way as grass, saplings, and crops.

I think durability needs to be there if there's a skill involved, otherwise there would be no need to make more baskets and raise up your skill.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Interesting ideas, unfortunately this would annoy many people as the only Stone Age storage method is vessels.

I don't follow. Baskets would help in the stone age by providing another storage method besides clay vessels. Baskets would be especially helpful in regions without clay.

It's an interesting concept, having inventory al la Haven and Hearth, but it strays away from the basic principles that TFC has based itself on from Minecraft.

Perhaps this as an add-on would be a good idea?

I agree that it may make a better idea for an add-on than a core feature, but that's up to the developers, I suppose. It depends on what you consider to be a core principle of Minecraft. It seems to me that many features of TFC violate basic principles of Minecraft, but I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me. TFC has already messed around somewhat with inventory. My suggestions seem more like the next logical step to me.