Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ace5

My thoughts on TFC and some questions

6 posts in this topic

Amazing mod! Absolutely love it and it's likely I'll never play without the overhaul installed. It takes a lot of work to make other mods compatible using crafting manager but it's worth it. I've very appreciative to the amount of work the developers have put into this mod and all that surrounds it.

Some pros include:

The smithing system

Buildings take effort

The world bloody matters!

Location, location, location

Gravity

Caves are nice and open

Lack of instant gratification

Mountains feel like mountains

Lots of variations in rocks and wood types

Ore gathering

Exploring

Animals feel real

Learning about the world is beneficial

Some cons include:

Riddled with teduim

Useless/unfleshed out features

Too time consuming

Unbalanced weapons

Removal of some fitting vanilla features and leaving unfitting features in

I left out a few cons since it's still in beta but I felt that I needed to list some to be more balanced and less biased. I can go into detail about what I listed if you want but I think most of them are obvious to most people playing.

I used to be a mod for a simi busy forum(100~ posts per day) and I always found it annoying when a new commer would create lots of small threads so I thought I'd post everything I wanted to ask/my concerns in one thread and this seemed like the most general place to ask. I can of course separate this thread if I'm asked to.

Thought I'd add that I've been visiting the forums for quite a while now and I've been looking into a lot of threads but I gathered a lot of questions that I find answers to and figured that it was time to post.

1. I'm from Australia and I wanted to have a playthrough in my hemisphere. I couldn't get a world to spawn me in the southern end so I ended up teleporting myself there. I read through the majority of the wiki and didn't see any mention that some trees don't spawn in the southern hemisphere. I traveled 16km from N-S and 10+km E-W(I took different routes so I wouldn't cover the same ground) and never saw the majority of the trees I have always found when covering 1/8th of the amount. I went into a creative world to fly around for a while and didn't see anything either.

If this is a feature I would have prefered that the info was in the wiki here, I didn't find the info in the change logs either. That's a lot of hours just walking and I feel robbed. I'm used to knowing exactly where to get douglas fir but I'm assuming that there was a change or it doesn't spawn in the southern hemisphere. Could someone clear things up for me?

2. There seems to be a problem with the config in regards to some settings or I don't understand what I'm doing. I changed the trees growth value to 0.7 assuming it would make trees grow 30% faster but it was making trees grow faster than vanilla. That was in 79.4, I have reverted the changes since.

3. In the search for hickory and douglas fir, not once did I see the lush green biome that I usually settled down in. I thought it was cool that I figured a place where I could plant crops all year round without fearing the cold weather. Since it doesn't matter anymore I think I can post this bit of information. 7600-7800 in a lush green biome, the weather is never too hot or too cold. It's rare for a fully fleshed game to teach me something like that without outright telling me. Was this removed for balance reasons?

4. When I teleported to 8k in the southern hemisphere I found something I hadn't found before, a gabbro filled biome which I didn't think much of at the time. I found a cool little area I wanted to settle down in and did so. After making a prospick I leant that the major bottleneck in the progression of metals had been removed. I was finding nickel everywhere, I didn't even bother marking a few of them down since it was everywhere. I also found a chunk of exposed graphite(but this was probably pure luck). I think this is a major flaw and goes against the last builds design. Is this on purpose?

5. I really like building places for functions and features, like a smithy. The recent change to brick break speed seems to be a feature that holds players back more so instead of encouraging to make better tools. It's quite an unfair punishment for misclicking/misplacing a block. I read that this was so on multiplayer you couldn't have apposing players easily demolish your buildings or something along that line. I mainly play single player now and this feature is useless for me. The config has a lot of different options, would this be something you would consider adding to the options?

6. So much ocean. I could draw a picture of how much ocean I found when covering 26km+ in survival and the crazy distance I traveled in creative. From N-S the majority of land seems to always be in a straight line with a few large land masses here and there. E-W feels so empty. I this a vanilla mechanic? It's very anti exploring, thought I'd bring that up.

7. I've seen the older version of the mod being played and how it's progressing. I like where the majority of the mod has gone but I'm also weary as to where it's heading. I've read the comments of a lot of users and they seem to be, I don't know, kinda scared that there will be another large absents of development if they speak out about some things in the mod. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Either way, I think that the developers need to keep in mind questions like 'This feature may be cool but how does it weigh on the cool/awesome/innovative/creative to useless/tedius/unncessary scale?'.

Another is how a lot of changes are removing different things that one may want to make. For example, there's no 'logical' reason to make an underground rail system if it takes so long to tunnel out a large area and keep it lit. The time and effort it takes would be too long compared to the how much it would save you. You can't keep the tunnel lit because torches die out. A lot of changes are making less useful things to make. I can understand villagers and pistons being removed(which removes a large number of things to build) but some things seem to have little thought put into them other than 'this will make the game harder, so it's in'.

8. Must've missed it in the log on the whole falling blocks break ALL non solid blocks part. I built my building under a small cliff. I planned to remove it after I had a place to live. I did remove it and half my roof was removed with it due to some of the blocks falling down. Just thought I'd point that out so others don't repeat my mistake.

I have a few more things to say but I'll leave it at that and open other threads if I think I need to.

I look forward to talking to everyone here.

Have a great day.

EDIT:Just wanted to add a small segment.

1. There was a bug in versions prior to 79.7 that caused very few trees to be spawning in the southern hemisphere. This should have been fixed with the 79.7 release. I'm not sure what version you did your exploration in, but if it wasn't 79.7, I would strongly suggest updating and checking out that seed again.

2. I'll have to look into it, but that config should only be affecting the number of days that the sapling must be planted before it starts using the vanilla random-tick growth. So by default, saplings on average must be planted for about 10 in-game days, after which point they start sprouting up via random tick, just like vanilla saplings. Decreasing the config to .7 should simply change that average so that saplings must be planted for about 7 days, and then once again they start popping up using random tick.

3. I don't quite understand what you are saying here. Specific latitudes don't ever guarantee a "biome," they simply affect the range at which the temperature, rainfall and EVT can be within. If for some reason you consistently saw a lush green area at 7600-7800 in multiple world seeds, that was purely coincidence.

4. Once again you just got lucky. Finding gabbro is usually the hard part.

5. I'll look into adding it as a config, but don't get your hopes up.

6. 79.0 actually made oceans smaller. They used to be even more massive if you could believe it.

7. A bunch of the crafting recipes can actually be enabled now in the configs, such as pistons. Lanterns will also probably be added to TFC at one point or another, so you'll be able to light up your railway tunnel with those. Until that happens, jack-o-lanterns are still an option. To be fair, there is often no "logical" reason to make an underground railway system in any situation. There might be the rare case where you want to bore through a mountain instead of go over or around it, but for the most part an example like that doesn't really work, because people make underground railways simply because they look cool.

I'd actually have to echo Ace5 on this. I recently started a world with Gabbro as the middle rock layer, and I'm finding Garnierite nuggets absolutely everywhere. I've counted at least 5 spots within a 1K x 1K area. I thought I was just insanely lucky with the RNG, but maybe there's something else going on.

Edit: flew around in creative for a bit and found another 2 deposits. 7 of them in a pretty small area... is that at all suspicious?

This is a pretty amazing seed, really. Plenty of cows, sheep, horses, pigs, and wolves in the area. Rocksalt and lots of nickel. Not a ton of copper though... -5923634755215687662 for anyone interested.

I'd actually have to echo Ace5 on this. I recently started a world with Gabbro as the middle rock layer, and I'm finding Garnierite nuggets absolutely everywhere. I've counted at least 5 spots within a 1K x 1K area. I thought I was just insanely lucky with the RNG, but maybe there's something else going on.

I think you missed the second sentence. Finding gabbro is the hard part, not finding nickel in a gabbro layer. That's pretty much how it's always been.

I think you missed the second sentence. Finding gabbro is the hard part, not finding nickel in a gabbro layer. That's pretty much how it's always been.

True; finding gabbro has never been trivial. It's just that usually when I find gabbro I still have to spend a lot of time searching for Garnierite. I've never encountered it so frequently before. RNG is funny that way.

1. There was a bug in versions prior to 79.7 that caused very few trees to be spawning in the southern hemisphere. This should have been fixed with the 79.7 release. I'm not sure what version you did your exploration in, but if it wasn't 79.7, I would strongly suggest updating and checking out that seed again.

2. I'll have to look into it, but that config should only be affecting the number of days that the sapling must be planted before it starts using the vanilla random-tick growth. So by default, saplings on average must be planted for about 10 in-game days, after which point they start sprouting up via random tick, just like vanilla saplings. Decreasing the config to .7 should simply change that average so that saplings must be planted for about 7 days, and then once again they start popping up using random tick.

3. I don't quite understand what you are saying here. Specific latitudes don't ever guarantee a "biome," they simply affect the range at which the temperature, rainfall and EVT can be within. If for some reason you consistently saw a lush green area at 7600-7800 in multiple world seeds, that was purely coincidence.

5. I'll look into adding it as a config, but don't get your hopes up.

6. 79.0 actually made oceans smaller. They used to be even more massive if you could believe it.

7. A bunch of the crafting recipes can actually be enabled now in the configs, such as pistons. Lanterns will also probably be added to TFC at one point or another, so you'll be able to light up your railway tunnel with those. Until that happens, jack-o-lanterns are still an option. To be fair, there is often no "logical" reason to make an underground railway system in any situation. There might be the rare case where you want to bore through a mountain instead of go over or around it, but for the most part an example like that doesn't really work, because people make underground railways simply because they look cool.

1. Yep! I went to the same spot and it was filled with trees. Still can't find douglas fir on that end though but I'm going to assume it's just the seed. Another thing to add is saplings are spawing everywhere in the old world so it's starting to look like how it would if I started the world in 79.7.

2. Ahh, so my understanding that I was making things 30% faster was correct.

3. I'll try to explain it better. I haven't seen the lush green biome anywhere, has it been removed? In the 78 build I traveled quite a while to find the lush green biomes in the area I mentioned, it wasn't a coincidence that I found it, I looked for it in that area specifically because of the properties it holds.

4. Unlucky in my opinion! But that's not really the concern I have. I don't think gabbro should spawn in such a big area in the first place, as in it should be restricted on purpose if you want to keep the bottleneck from the previous versions.

5. Thanks for the consideration! I don't want to force development to my ideals as I think it's unethical to put that kind of pressure but voicing my concerns as a user and just leaving things there for discussion I think is fair.

6. Ah. I've just been unlucky then. I find a lot of flat ground under water, 16 chunks of flat land under water, sometimes a few holes. Not sure if that's vanilla or not.

7. No, no, that's not what the concern is, I'm for the removal of stuff like pistons. I'm worried that development is forcing players to have smaller/limited options when it comes building due to some changes. You're right, it's not 'logical' but when you put it on the scale I mentioned earlier, the rail system has more redeeming qualities. It may take a lot of work in vanilla but the pay off is MUCH higher than in TFC.

Edit: flew around in creative for a bit and found another 2 deposits. 7 of them in a pretty small area... is that at all suspicious?

This is a pretty amazing seed, really. Plenty of cows, sheep, horses, pigs, and wolves in the area. Rocksalt and lots of nickel. Not a ton of copper though... -5923634755215687662 for anyone interested.

Yea, the rates of minerals and metals I struggled to find before has been changed to be drastically easier. I currently only have 1 building, no anvil but I have found everything I would need to progress straight to tier 6 just by looking for trees. I can't just be lucky. I know the rates are configurable but I want to play closer to what the devs had in mind(survival as it should have been), from previous playthroughs, easy mode isn't what they're aiming for. I'm sure this is just a matter of playing with the odds.