Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Udary

Another food discussion, but about Savoury

10 posts in this topic

I've just got the ability to see what foods I like, so I've collected everything I have and worked out why my salads and sandwiches are so badly suited for me. I made a ton of sandwiches to skill up! 

Proteins
- raw chicken, very savoury
- raw pork, very savoury
- cooked pork (rare), overly savoury
- soy bean, very savoury

Veg
- garlic, perfectly savoury
- cabbage, perfectly savoury
- carrot, perfectly savoury
- onion, perfectly savoury
- tomato, ridiculously savoury
- potato, perfectly savoury
- garlic, perfectly savoury
- yellow bell pepper, perfectly savoury

Grain
- rye grain/flour, perfectly savoury
- cooked rye bread (light), somewhat savoury
- wheat grain/flour, perfectly savoury
- oat grain/flour, perfectly savoury
- rice grain/flour, perfectly savoury
- maize ear, perfectly savoury

Fruit trees are still flowering... STILL!

Basically unless I only use the lightly cooked rye bread with 1 ingredient to make a tiny sandwich, or east raw foods, everything I have is too savoury for me. ALL protein is too savoury, I'm yet to find a cow to test and I've not started fishing.

The soil around me is limestone for 1000's m in every direction, except a small pocket of Dacite. I vaguely remember reading that gravel under soil would affect food taste, but I've not had a chance to test it. Would this save me or am I destined to slow starve myself all the time as my meals are rubbish. I'm hoping that adding fruit will tone the savoury element down, but again, still waiting for summer and the fruit bounty! I can't imagine pickling will help as that surely will only add to the savouryness. 

I've got so far and would hate to have to start again because my taste is too fussy? I'm also surprised it's so extreme. 

Looking for advice!

A single flavor that is not "perfect" does not ruin a meal. Aiming for perfect everything is unrealistic, and is probably something that no player can achieve.

I'm not looking for perfect! I assume I have a savoury tolerance of 0.2, something low. An onion is say 0.2, perfectly savoury. If I add my 0.2 onion to a 0.2 carrot on 0.15 bread, is the result 0.55? or should it not average it all out and come in just under 0.2? I would expect an average, but it seems to be cumulative... the resulting sandwich will be overly savoury.

I am hoping that fruit is negative and the sum of the savoury values comes down if it's added. 

I eat as much food than my food bar can take yet all my nutrition values slowly but surely drop over time, by the time I've killed enough zombies to get to lvl 20's. Not hunting them, just defending myself when I'm pottering around. My nutrition levels will be nearly zero. My last death was a 2 punch from a zombie, when my hps dropped really low because of it.

This is on 79.7 too, which I thought if you ate a protein your protein went up regardless of "taste".

Taste doesn't affect nutrition anymore. The only thing that it's going to affect on your meal is how long you are saturated after you eat it.

However, we did tweak around a lot with the nutrition values, so it's actually intentionally very hard to keep your nutrition up if you only eat raw ingredients. If you instead make a protein sandwich, you won't have as hard of a time keeping that nutrition up.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this but if you're eating food with less saturation it's easier to fill your nutrition bar?

Correct me if I'm wrong about this but if you're eating food with less saturation it's easier to fill your nutrition bar?

It's faster, but that does not make it easier. We changed it so your nutrition does not deplete when you are saturated.

It's faster, but that does not make it easier. We changed it so your nutrition does not deplete when you are saturated.

Interesting. So technically it seems to come down like this: if your max HP is rather low, eat the most disgusting food you can find, so you can get up your nutrition values as fast as possible, since you can eat more often, and when you have reached a fair amount of HP start to eat things you really like to keep the nutrition up and finally can concentrate on things other than eating every few minutes ...Well, why not? It seems balanced enough.

Sounds like real life too. If you hate the taste of the food, it's likely you're probably lacking quite a few of the vitamins it has... and if you aren't eating enough, your body wont have enough energy to keep up your immune system and you'll need more nutrients to keep you healthy.

..so it's actually intentionally very hard to keep your nutrition up if you only eat raw ingredients.

Does that go for things like vegetables and fruit?  Are we supposed to be cooking those in the firepit before using them as ingredients in sandwiches and/or salads, or does making them into sandwiches and salads count them as no longer being "raw"?

Also, does variety of the type of food effect the nutrition level?  In other words do I have to eat several different types of vegetables to get that bar to go up? What about the difficulty level of the game, does that effect nutrition?

I have to admit, I'm a bit at a loss.  I have several different types of vegetables, two types of protein, three different types of bread, I'm making sandwiches and salads like crazy, but my nutrition is so low, even in the three categories i'm eating, that my health is hovering around 200. That's with 5 experience point levels too. It's not exactly conducive to finding more fruit trees and bushes being a walking one hit kill.

At this point I think my best bet is to make my way back over to spawn, throw everything in a chest and kill myself so i can reset the values.

Does that go for things like vegetables and fruit?  Are we supposed to be cooking those in the firepit before using them as ingredients in sandwiches and/or salads, or does making them into sandwiches and salads count them as no longer being "raw"?

Also, does variety of the type of food effect the nutrition level?  In other words do I have to eat several different types of vegetables to get that bar to go up? What about the difficulty level of the game, does that effect nutrition?

I have to admit, I'm a bit at a loss.  I have several different types of vegetables, two types of protein, three different types of bread, I'm making sandwiches and salads like crazy, but my nutrition is so low, even in the three categories i'm eating, that my health is hovering around 200. That's with 5 experience point levels too. It's not exactly conducive to finding more fruit trees and bushes being a walking one hit kill.

At this point I think my best bet is to make my way back over to spawn, throw everything in a chest and kill myself so i can reset the values.

Sorry, "raw" probably wasn't the best word to use. What I should have said is "very hard to keep your nutrition up if you are not eating sandwiches or salads." So even a completely cooked steak would be considered a "raw" ingredient in that it won't help raise nutrition very much.

Variety doesn't matter. As long as it's a vegetable, it raises the vegetable category.

Make sure that you have updated to the latest version of TFC. The current latest version is 79.8, in any version prior to 79.7 nutrition is not working properly.