Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
RandomASCII

Ore Placement Seems Significantly More Sparse In Build 79

10 posts in this topic

I want to apologize in advance if this was posted in the wrong category. I am more than willing to move the topic if it was.

Perhaps this is because my TFC experience is extremely varied(I only just got back into when build 79 was released and hadn't played before that since February), but it seems that resources are far more sparse than I remember them ever being. For example, in the last three worlds I played on, I was spawned in a biome where I couldn't find any clay anywhere. I searched for an hour on one world before giving up and switching to creative...where I didn't see any more clay after traversing over 3 kilometers. In one world, I spent five in game days searching the only area on an island that had ore spawning on the surface and only collected 5 Sphalerite, 3 Cassiderite, and 2 Tetrahedryte. I found quite a bit of silver and gold for some reason, but that's pretty much useless when you don't even have copper tools. I very strongly doubt this is at the fault of recent change to the mod, as I don't remember anything about that from the change log.

This begs the question, it's probably not the dev's fault, so what am I doing wrong? Is it just poor luck with seeds? Has the game really gotten this much harder since I last played? I don't think it has, not since everyone I see playing this game just one build earlier seems to not be having issue finding beginning ores. I strongly doubt I'm doing that terrible of a job since I can usually get through almost everything in the stone age phase before the first sunset. Is anyone else having proglems with Build 79 in this regard?

It's most likely a combination of bad world seed, and something weird making it so players are spawning closer to the equator. The fastest way to check if your spawn is going to have clay nearby is to hit F3 and look at the rainfall value. If it's 250 or less, no clay and you should probably start a new world.

Speaking of bad seeds, a server I'm on has rock salt from -11000 all the way to -6000. I've explored up and down and about 2000 blocks across and I've only seen something other than rock salt twice. And there wasn't much of it. Is this just the seed or are other people seeing worlds with a ridiculous amount of one surface rock.

(generated in 79.7)

Speaking of bad seeds, a server I'm on has rock salt from -11000 all the way to -6000. I've explored up and down and about 2000 blocks across and I've only seen something other than rock salt twice. And there wasn't much of it. Is this just the seed or are other people seeing worlds with a ridiculous amount of one surface rock.

(generated in 79.7)

For anyone who's seen my Drunk Kitty Plays series, I experienced something like this in our 78 world. Granite for 6,000 blocks in every stupid direction.

:S I've seen a few at the start of 78, it's extra painful when you have creative mode prototype builds and you desperately need slate. And there's no slate. I would ask them to get a new seed and let everyone start with a clean slate but I'm worried I'll get slated for being picky.

Life's tough.

Make sure you are taking core samples! Slate is metamorphic, so you can find it in the second layer as well. The rock layers are all independent of each other, so just because the surface one is the same stone for a large area, it doesn't mean there isn't a variety of stone layers down below.

It's most likely a combination of bad world seed, and something weird making it so players are spawning closer to the equator. The fastest way to check if your spawn is going to have clay nearby is to hit F3 and look at the rainfall value. If it's 250 or less, no clay and you should probably start a new world.

Thanks for the advice, Kitty. I did notice when a video of yours having a quite ludicrous ammount of rock salt. My luck may have had to do with me purposely trying to get a specific seed each time(basically, I was trying to see if it's possible to get a seed of 0. Just typing in 0 doesn't give you that, as when I tried it previously, I got a seed or 48 when I typed /seed. Apparenlty you can get a seed of 1, but I don't think you can actually have a seed of 0.)

(generated in 79.7)

yea for like the largest area i've seen nothing but rock salt chert and claystone which was miserable. i wasn't even able to find tin or copper surface ores indicating a vein at the top of the second layer. thank god i finally found limestone lol

Yeah, contiguous areas of rock seem a lot larger in these versions. I'm also seeing the same behavior with trees -- in my current world, I spawned very far to the north, and for many kilometers there were nothing but white cedar trees (which cannot make tannin.) I had to resort to making a boat and sailing around the world until I finally got far enough to get non-cedar trees spawning.

As for clay, you can tell the amount of rainfall a biome gets by the grass. If it's the scraggly, patchy grass, there isn't enough rainfall and there will never be clay. Biomes that get enough rainfall for clay to spawn also have the solid grass textures on dirt. (The same rainfall requirement for full grass also applies to one of the two requirements for fruit trees to spawn -- the other being average biome temperature.)

Thanks for this post, it has answered all my questions about world gen.

it's that kind of informations that a book for new player could be cool.

Just basic informations to help the player and avoid confusion.

*Clay are abondant where there is humidity. (only appears where rain > 250).