Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Nicholas1010

Less thirst and hunger decrease while idling

12 posts in this topic

I like to read wiki while I idle on server, or just idle when I am away, one thing is annoying me - when I idle for 15 minutes and I come back, my needs (hunger and thirst) are on 0. this is pretty annoying, if its possible, make it so when you idle for 5-15 minutes to stop decreasing of needs or make it slower.

Thanks.

This would kind of imbalance the game since when you're first starting out, you're probably not doing much at night besides hiding away in your house.  I normally idle the first couple of nights and read some websites while waiting for the daytime.  With what you're suggesting, I'd lose no hunger/drink from this which wouldn't make sense.  Even if I'm just sitting around my house doing nothing in real life, I still get hungry after a time.  If you want to pause the game and read something just hit esc and bring up the menu...this stops everything.  Otherwise I could see people exploiting this and just sit idle in their house through winter or while waiting for crops to grow or something.

This would kind of imbalance the game since when you're first starting out, you're probably not doing much at night besides hiding away in your house.  I normally idle the first couple of nights and read some websites while waiting for the daytime.  With what you're suggesting, I'd lose no hunger/drink from this which wouldn't make sense.  Even if I'm just sitting around my house doing nothing in real life, I still get hungry after a time.  If you want to pause the game and read something just hit esc and bring up the menu...this stops everything.  Otherwise I could see people exploiting this and just sit idle in their house through winter or while waiting for crops to grow or something.

Well you can't pause game on multiplayer, You should not get same hunger from running around, jumping around, diving, and just sitting home.

Have you considered just logging out when you're not actively playing?

You should not get same hunger from running around, jumping around, diving, and just sitting home.

I'm not sure if TFC carries over the same hunger saturation mechanics as vanilla but in vanilla each of those activities had a different effect on your hunger level so in that case, swimming/jumping/mining etc all decreased your hunger saturation faster than just walking or standing.

No. This is actually why a lot of servers will kick players who are idle for too long. Instead of idling while you go do something else, just log off.

Activity burns calories, degrees of activity burn more or less calories. That is the reality of things. So what is the actual argument against this suggestion? 'Just log off' is not actually a valid response to what the OP is suggesting. There needs to be a valid gameplay reason to not implement this before it can be so easily dismissed.

I have also wondered why we don't have a system where the game recognizes when you are not moving and adjusts hunger rates accordingly. Conserving energy should be a valid strategy.

Activity burns calories, degrees of activity burn more or less calories. That is the reality of things. So what is the actual argument against this suggestion? 'Just log off' is not actually a valid response to what the OP is suggesting. There needs to be a valid gameplay reason to not implement this before it can be so easily dismissed.

I have also wondered why we don't have a system where the game recognizes when you are not moving and adjusts hunger rates accordingly. Conserving energy should be a valid strategy.

Because that is over complicating a mechanic that really adds nothing to gameplay. Also, standing still is still an "activity" that burns calories. Even just being alive burns calories. Even when a person is comatose in a hospital, they still have to get nutrition through a feeding tube because they are still burning calories.

As for the valid gameplay reason, look at my signature. Unless it's going to add a whole new, very noticeable feature to the game, it is not worth the effort to try and code something new that the average player won't even notice or utilize.

Because that is over complicating a mechanic that really adds nothing to gameplay. Also, standing still is still an "activity" that burns calories. Even just being alive burns calories. Even when a person is comatose in a hospital, they still have to get nutrition through a feeding tube because they are still burning calories.

As for the valid gameplay reason, look at my signature. Unless it's going to add a whole new, very noticeable feature to the game, it is not worth the effort to try and code something new that the average player won't even notice or utilize.

I didn't say that you don't burn calories while being still. I said pretty specifically that it should reduce the speed at which your hunger decreases. And it should. Because it does - significantly. And with good reason. 

As for your latter comment, it's a very noticeable feature to me, in that its absence struck me as immediately conspicuous and kind of annoying, and I consider myself a pretty average player, so you might want to reconsider your response, because from my perspective it's a little baffling!

It's not like this is a concept without precedent. The Long Dark makes a pretty big deal about burning calories through activity and conserving energy is an important part of gameplay/survival. They aren't identical games, but TFC does often (particularly in the beginning) include periods of inactivity, such as waiting through nights, or waiting for things to cook/melt. It makes sense to adjust the tick of hunger/nutrition based on these kinds of factors, because its absence has a huge impact on how we play. If you are constantly mining for 24 hours straight you SHOULD require more food than someone who spent half the day indoors waiting around. It also gives a little extra breathing room for the early game, when food is scarce and periods of inactivity are more common. Later on, when lots of food is available, you can spare the extra food to maintain activity throughout the night and day cycle.It seems like a no-brainer to me.

To prove my point about how average players won't even notice, you state that you don't notice any change in hunger depletion rates. When in fact, since thirst was originally implemented, thirst has been depleting faster when the player is sprinting. Hunger also already decreases faster just like in vanilla each time that a player does an action such as breaking a block, or using a tool. If you don't believe me, spend a long session gold panning and pay attention to just how quickly your hunger depletes.

Edit: To clarify, the suggestion was originally to make hunger deplete based on player movement such as standing still, walking, and running. That is the suggestion that I was arguing against.

If it helps, consider the regular rate of hunger and thirst as your reduced idling cost, and the increased cost associated with performing actions as the regular cost. Really, what you're asking for has already been implimented, just not with the values that you'd like. I personally find no issue with the current rates, and regularly have to put food in long term storage because I have too much.

To prove my point about how average players won't even notice, you state that you don't notice any change in hunger depletion rates. When in fact, since thirst was originally implemented, thirst has been depleting faster when the player is sprinting. Hunger also already decreases faster just like in vanilla each time that a player does an action such as breaking a block, or using a tool. If you don't believe me, spend a long session gold panning and pay attention to just how quickly your hunger depletes.

Edit: To clarify, the suggestion was originally to make hunger deplete based on player movement such as standing still, walking, and running. That is the suggestion that I was arguing against.

I actually did not say that. I said that I did not notice a change in rates when standing still. I realize you are kind of half arguing with me and half with the OP, but let's be careful to address the things that are actually said.

(Edit: I see where you might have gotten a different impression when I mentioned mining vs standing around. I was trying to emphasize 'standing around' not talk about mining vs not mining. I am aware that while sprinting and performing certain actions, that your hunger and thirst decrease more quickly)What I said, is that periods of genuine, actual inactivity should result in lower hunger/thirst depletion. I don't see a problem with having another factor which helps to determine depletion rates. Other than the fact that you appear to believe that what is implemented is 'enough.' Obviously I disagree, and I'm assuming the OP disagrees.

It still makes perfect sense to slow hunger/thirst depletion when standing still. It makes perfect gameplay sense, and cheerfully, it also accurately reflects reality. 

Again, seems like a no-brainer, and I haven't actually seen an argument against the suggestion. Would the game be worse if this suggestion were implemented? Is it impractical to implement? Surely it's a minor thing to track whether the player is moving or not. So why is the existing hunger depletion mechanics an argument against further tweaking of those mechanics to reflect reality a little better and also make the entire food/hunger system in the early game slightly more manageable? To Hubertus, no matter what hunger/food system is implemented, you will always be able to reach a point where you have more food than you need, that's not really an argument.