Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CreepyD

Watch out for spawn protection cfg editing..

8 posts in this topic

I originally edited my config file and changed the spawn protection hours from the default 8, down to 2.

It became very difficult, so I upped it to 6.

Tbh, that didn't feel a lot better either, so I upped it back to the default 8.

A few days later and still struggling, even having a creeper seemingly spawn in my porch despite spending a year in and around my house.

I finally managed to build a Protection meter and placed it near my house - NO spawn protection at all.

I relogged - still nothing showing on it.

So I deleted the config file, let it create a new one - voila, max spawn protection now shows up as soon as I got in game.

I don't know why it did it, it was definitely in there correctly, maybe changing as low as 2 messed it up somehow, I really don't know.

It's pretty hard to test until you can build a protection meter though!

---------------------------

Hm I went back in game and the protection meter had 'gone out' again.

Relogged into the game and it came back to max.

Something strange going on here.

Still getting zombies spawning very near my fences oddly, I'll have to do more testing.

---------------------------

Appears to be staying on now.

Could be a display bug, really not sure.

-------------------------

Definitely something bugged here.

Sitting in my house for a night time storm to pass.. Spider has spawned near enough to be right over my door.

Again this is despite it being a year on and spending most of that time in this area.

Moving the spawn protection meter just outside my door it's not showing any.

You're playing with build 79, right? 78 had some spawn protection bugs that caused it to increase/decrease far too quickly, but supposedly it is fixed for 79.

Yeah definitely 79.7

It seems like I've been having trouble because it isn't building any spawn protection at all.

I could upload my save if it's needed.

Am using only the recommended mods + Optifine.

Try using the spawn protection debug commands to do some investigation.

First, enable debug mode with /debugmode. You'll need to be in creative or have cheats allowed.

/gsp should return the amount of spawn protection in your current chunk. I believe the number it gives is the number of ingame hours you should have protection for.

"/vgsp #" will visualize the spawn protection around you by generating colored wool below you, radius of # chunks.. This will overwrite any blocks, so don't do it on a world you care about. If necessary, create a backup first.

Edit, actually don't bother with vgsp. It has a minor bug which makes it kinda useless, because it only looks up the spawn protection once and writes the same color wool everywhere....

I have a vague feeling that spawn protection or the meter doesn't work properly in b79.7. At most i have seen 1 red bar in my meter despite working around my base for several days.

Wow, it's completely borked...

/gsp shows up some completely random stuff.

Here's a map of my home chunks.

14   24   14

18 1456   3

1484 70    14

22   20   7

The middle 1456 is my house, the chunk covers the entire house.

1484 is where I did my farming, odd that would be that high, but there you go.

I did notice the 22 in the bottom left, as I was walking around, it dropped to 21 next time.

The 24 at the top had dropped to 21, assuming over 3 hours.

It looks like spawn protection is only being applied to the chunk I'm standing in, and not those around it.

-------------------------------------

Ok another test in a new world.

I have concluded that the spawn protection timer counts 1 hour from the moment you enter a chunk.

If you leave that chunk, this timer resets.

I can move between 2 chunks back and forth all day and generate NO spawn protection what so ever..!

I can wait 45 secs in a chunk, move to one next door and no protection is generated.

However, protection is still going down on chunks outside the 5x5 chunk square.

Ok if I move but stay within a chunk, it appears to build up.  -16, -8, 0, 8, 16

Chunks nearby less, -16, -9, -2, 5, 12

It's strange the first one is 8, the rest are 7.

-----------------------

Seems there are 2 issues here. The one above and also..

Loaded up the copy of my main game I posted figures for, the numbers are different.

The top 24 has instantly become -24.

My house is still 1456, but the 70 below is now 1538!

Reloaded a couple of times, my 1456 in my house suddenly went to -24 upon loading.

Deleted the save, new copy, tried again.

I'm watching the spawn protection meter outside my house.

Load the game, it's maxed (1538 I assume).

Quit, reload, it's on while loading, then goes out, upon checking it's -24.

Deleted the save and tried again.

Same result, after a random 2-3 loads, the spawn protection gets wiped.

Same for inside my house, Moved the meter inside, reloaded a few times and boom it's back to -24 on a random load.

If others are having these issues, that might explain why people are unsure about the torch change as spawn protection just isn't working as it should be.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Temporary solution - I've disabled torches burning out and built a torch forest within my fences again - safe at last.

I know spawn protection does work with torches burning out as it did when I tested it in 78, so look forward to it being fixed.

----

Ah they still go out in the rain though, something to look out for.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0