Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
MGXII

Paper

19 posts in this topic

With the adition of sugercane being a terrafirmacraft crop the vanila sugercane has akwardly stayed in the game to be able to make paper. This was even in vanila minecraft a bit questionable. Since paper making is a bit of a complecated process I don't believe we can reproduce that process. But I do believe we can do a better job of the making of paper look more believable. We could make it so that wood or tatch has to be grinded to some for of pulp that has to be soaked in lime water and has to be dried afterwards.

Why would you need to go through the trouble when paper is not so important? Because nametags and books are made out of paper high quality stuff I would say.

I dunno. I mean, paper, as you said, are just used for some extra, not-so-needed things. Is there a real reason to make paper-making harder/more complicated?

I mean, we say 'paper' but paper wasn't really used all that widely, or for a long time.

Writings and paintings where also done on papyrus(papyrus reeds), silk cloth(silk. obviously), parchment(animal skin, such as sheep skin), and so on.

And yes, tree reeds into paper is not the most believable, method, but if paper making where more complicated, would it be worth it?

I, personally think if paper was more complicated, it would give little use to get paper, seeing it's more trouble than it's worth, gameplay wise.

Paper would have to have a legitimate use for this to be viable. But I do want a proper paper-making process, so I've been pushing for some paper-related suggestions recently, but it doesn't look like the devs will pick up any of them soon. You'll just have to make do until they're ready to actually move onto adding utility for useless things instead of adding new stuff, and I imagine that won't be for a while seeing as the projected features are many and varied.

I use RecipeResearch mod in TFC where I need lots of paper. I'm in a quite cold area where I don't think sugarcanes can grow well. So making paper is a bit hard.

I think sawing a log sould give some wood pulp too.

From sticks you would make a frame, fill it with strings. Water and pulp would make a mix, put the stringed frame in it. I saw a video where with aluminium grid made the paper, but here it isn't an option. I think the strings can be hard enough to hold the pulp, but you won't be able to slice the paper from it, so you'll have a stringed paper, but hey, who cares?

And/or you could make books from leather.

Can you make maps in TFC?, because I haven't got it to work. If not, this should be one of paper's uses. Also, you can use paper to make markings for detailed blocks, so yes, paper does have a legitimate use.

I think that reed papyrus is a perfectly normal way of getting paper material, as it is within the game's time frame after all. I don't think the commonly used bright white fiber substance we call "paper" today would be easy to create 1015 years ago, so I think that there should be a different method. Like peeling bits off of birch bark maybe?

I use RecipeResearch mod in TFC where I need lots of paper. I'm in a quite cold area where I don't think sugarcanes can grow well. So making paper is a bit hard.

You don't use sugarcane to make paper in TFC, you use reeds.They're two completely different blocks. One is a crop that you grow on farmland, and the other that behaves the exact same way as vanilla in that you just have to place it next to water.

I use RecipeResearch mod in TFC where I need lots of paper. I'm in a quite cold area where I don't think sugarcanes can grow well. So making paper is a bit hard.I think sawing a log sould give some wood pulp too.From sticks you would make a frame, fill it with strings. Water and pulp would make a mix, put the stringed frame in it. I saw a video where with aluminium grid made the paper, but here it isn't an option. I think the strings can be hard enough to hold the pulp, but you won't be able to slice the paper from it, so you'll have a stringed paper, but hey, who cares?And/or you could make books from leather.

Parchment. Paper could be renamed "parchment" and made from animal hides as it always was in medieval Europe. That's a reason that books were so expensive and only monks, priests, and scribes had them.

Parchment. Paper could be renamed "parchment" and made from animal hides as it always was in medieval Europe. That's a reason that books were so expensive and only monks, priests, and scribes had them.

Seems like a decent idea. but then what would reeds used for?

Removed or used only for aesthetics. Animal hides can be obtained in anywhere.

Edit: Seems this post was misunderstood. I was answering a question about if parchment was to be used, not stating that reeds have been removed, since they HAVENT been.

Edited by anonymous conservative

Removed are used only for aesthetics. Animal hides can be obtained in anywhere.

I have them in the latest version, so as far as I know they are not removed

You don't use sugarcane to make paper in TFC, you use reeds.They're two completely different blocks. One is a crop that you grow on farmland, and the other that behaves the exact same way as vanilla in that you just have to place it next to water.

That's true. I found sugarcanes, but none of reeds yet, that's why I thought. 

Removed are used only for aesthetics. Animal hides can be obtained in anywhere.

No need to remove.

I have them in the latest version, so as far as I know they are not removed

They are not, they would be if parchment replaces it.

Edited by DcNdrew

I do agree that making paper by just throwing three reeds in the crafting grid feels unnatural and out-of-place in TFC. It feels so much like a vanilla recipe. It "feels" like it should be redone similar to leather, wool, etc. I also agree with some of the earlier comments that it might not be worth it for game-play reasons, but I suppose the same could be argued for wool.

If the crafting mechanic gets an overhaul, I'd also suggest an overhaul in how the reed blocks grow. To me, this is even more important. Infinite paper by spamming the shorelines with reeds is out of place in TFC. It might not be worth it to make the change, but I'd like to see reeds drop as an item from a plant that grows more like cattails, or even use cattails. I'd like to see them not be farmable, and only spawn/respawn the way wild crops do.

Reeds should be amphibious. you could occasionally find them outside of water, but the vast majority in it, usually near the edge.

I think that reeds should NOT be removed if people go for animal hide vellum-style parchment.There's stil the papyrus style parchment that was used by the ancient Egyptians.I also agree that making parchment of any kind might be made a little more involved - maybe soaking reeds in water then hammering them and then putting them maybe on a placed log or even a new frame for drying/stretching.

Not sure how vellum is made from hide, but that would probably not be very much different from making leather - probably with the tannin stage being replaced by another stage - prehaps simply drying.

I think that reeds should NOT be removed if people go for animal hide vellum-style parchment.There's stil the papyrus style parchment that was used by the ancient Egyptians.I also agree that making parchment of any kind might be made a little more involved - maybe soaking reeds in water then hammering them and then putting them maybe on a placed log or even a new frame for drying/stretching.

Not sure how vellum is made from hide, but that would probably not be very much different from making leather - probably with the tannin stage being replaced by another stage - prehaps simply drying.

I agree that paper production need an overhaul. The vanilla way is just not believable.

One of the problems is the uses for paper. Right now there is just not enough uses to justify all the coding of a new mechanic.

With washi (paper) you would make paper walls, books if you need them, and of course if you can enable an option or addon for learning which needs notes and/or books.

I also agree with some of the earlier comments that it might not be worth it for game-play reasons, but I suppose the same could be argued for wool.

I'm not Dunk obviously, so all of this is just based off of my interpretations of the conversations that I had with him, but the primary reason for why such a complicated loom system for wool was added was because he was planning on adding a bunch of other uses for cloth in the same update (clothes, curtains, etc.). The big one was the plan for adding the whole body temperature system, and clothing to go with it. So Dunk added the loom.... and didn't really do much else with the system for a long enough period of time that we just decided to comment the little work he had done out and push the whole thing off to a later major version. But the loom was already there, and it worked, so we kept it around instead of commenting that out too. There's also the idea that beds are a pretty huge thing to have in TFC so you can sleep through the night, so adding a bit more complexity to get something so important doesn't really hurt anything.

Something I noticed was never mentioned here: Blueprints are made of paper. And they seem to be very important items to anyone who uses chisels.

Edit: I had a much larger post but moved it here to try and stay within forum rules. It does involve paper as a major element and so would give more excuses to improve paper/parchment/clay tablet crafting.

Edited by DonutGlaze

*Lots of text*

well said. im with you on this one.

Edited by Mathias Ademar