Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhineasWynd

Stone Knife Mines Ores

16 posts in this topic

Suggestion: Make it possible to mine ore blocks with a (stone) knife, with a long mining time.This is believable - a stone age dude finds some stone which has copper in it. He isn't going to just ignore it, he's going to pry the ore out of the rock however he can.It won't break the balancing - It only allows him to get the ore, and very inefficiently. The metal progression is still the same.It will also be good for the stone age - finding surface ore will be exciting, instead of disappointing (as it is now, because you don't have the tools to mine it yet).

Hmm. At first I thought it would simply break the balance but I've given it a bit more thought.

A tweak to the idea. You need a hammer and a knife. You can only mine out ore, no rocks. Knifes instantly break aftewards. The ore is always poor.

I honestly don't think anyone stays in the stone age for very long, as soon as you muster up 9 copper pieces and 1 cassiterite, you're good to go. So I think this would be a good alternative to quickly looking for 9/10 pieces for a pickaxe.

When I play in new world, I always gets pickaxe and prospectors pick in first 2 - 4 days, so this feature would be not so usefull, but I like the idea that u need knife and as Ace5 said ,u need hammer too.

When I play in new world, I always gets pickaxe and prospectors pick in first 2 - 4 days, so this feature would be not so usefull, but I like the idea that u need knife and as Ace5 said ,u need hammer too.

I think that's what makes it a good idea. It gives the player multiple options without making one the go to(since it's unlikely to find exposed ore). If you get lucky and find exposed ore, you can get it. If you don't, you still have the regular options.

Part of me dislikes this, and yet part of me likes it. I'll think about it.

Part of me dislikes this, and yet part of me likes it. I'll think about it.

What do you like/dislike? Maybe we can think about how to improve it :P

Here are my thoughts: depending on the type of ore, this MIGHT work. native metal that is separate from the parent stone could possibly be pried out with a knife but a lot of the ores in TFC exist as minerals dispersed within the stone. Prying ore off the surface of a rock is one thing, but if you're actually breaking the rock itself and extracting the ore from within, you've essentially made a pickaxe. While believability is nice, we've thus far used it to solve existing problems, and I don't think mining ore before you've made a pickaxe is a problem in TFC. The historical record shows that early metallurgy was done with loose chunks of ore found on the ground, and it was only once smelting copper was established that people began searching it out in rock faces.

The idea of prying ores out of exposed rocks isn't terrible, but I don't believe it's needed at all. We already have nuggets on the ground which for me is more or less the idea behind the OP, grab a rock on the ground, get the ore out, use the ore...etc. Besides, if you pan copper you should be able to have a pick and a saw by night 3 at the very latest. TFC is full of progressive game play, instead of having 90% of the mechanics available right of the start it grows with the player's experience and knowledge. If this was added I think most people would find it easiest to keep doing the copper pick first and then get into serious mining, the way it's done now. Remember that players tend to min/max, "Is it worth the time to pry out the ore? No, I could spend it panning and have a full pick in 5 minutes... Ok then, forget this I'm going to go play efficiently." And off they go.

Nifty? Yes.

Practical? I doubt it.

Here are my thoughts: depending on the type of ore, this MIGHT work. native metal that is separate from the parent stone could possibly be pried out with a knife but a lot of the ores in TFC exist as minerals dispersed within the stone. Prying ore off the surface of a rock is one thing, but if you're actually breaking the rock itself and extracting the ore from within, you've essentially made a pickaxe. While believability is nice, we've thus far used it to solve existing problems, and I don't think mining ore before you've made a pickaxe is a problem in TFC. The historical record shows that early metallurgy was done with loose chunks of ore found on the ground, and it was only once smelting copper was established that people began searching it out in rock faces.

What about this addition? You don't mine the block, you remove a chunk out of it and the exposed ore block inherits the same properties of a chiseled block. That way the block is still there(representing that you haven't mined it) but you can no longer mine the contents once you have a pick.

As others have mentions, it may not be the best way but more options is usually a good thing.

The reason I made this post is because I had an island seed where there was ore exposed, but not enough nuggets to make a pickaxe. I just wanted the option to get the ore to progress, and it was frustrating having the ore right in front of me.

:P I forgot about panning, but still...

This kinda fits in with the surface ores you sometimes see.  If you find surface ore your bount to advance faster than someone who has to make a pro-pick first. You just have other priorities when you find surface ore. The mining without pick is not something everyone will do I imagen because of the time it takes vs finding nuggets. But it could be a thing you can do in the night if you made a bit of a safe spot there. 

People used large fires against exposed ores to free them from the stone. that could be implemented in some way.

wikipedia:

The ancient Romans were innovators of mining engineering. They developed large scale mining methods, perhaps most notably the use of large volumes of water brought to the minehead by numerous aqueducts for hydraulic mining. The exposed rock was then attacked by fire-setting where fires were used to heat the rock, which would be quenched with a stream of water. The thermal shock cracked the rock, enabling it to be removed.

That would be a believable way to obtain ores without using a knife to break stones.

People used large fires against exposed ores to free them from the stone. that could be implemented in some way.

wikipedia:

The ancient Romans were innovators of mining engineering. They developed large scale mining methods, perhaps most notably the use of large volumes of water brought to the minehead by numerous aqueducts for hydraulic mining. The exposed rock was then attacked by fire-setting where fires were used to heat the rock, which would be quenched with a stream of water. The thermal shock cracked the rock, enabling it to be removed.

That would be a believable way to obtain ores without using a knife to break stones.

That would definitely be something you'd have to do once you already had metal. That sort of thing is done because breaking rocks is hard work and Rome needed a lot of ore. Neither of those things are problems in TFC. It's good that you're exploring different ideas though.

What if it was just as simple as holding right click with a knife on the exposed face of an ore. After 2 seconds the overlay-ed ore texture would be removed, the stone knife would break, the block would turn into the stone type around it and you would get a nugget/small ore. That way someone who finds a cliff face of copper early on can do something with it but the incentive is still high to make a pick so as to come back and obtain the full value of the metal as opposed to 10 little units per block. I think it's important that this method (if added) would give the small ore item and not poor, regular and rich ores because then pickaxes lose their value.

I'ts certainly not something you would use very often but the more I think about it the more the added layer of depth and versatility appeals to me.

You're supposed to get ore off the ground with panning as a last resort. Panning requires clay bowls and water. If you don't have the resources to make clay bowls, you also don't have the resources to be smelting metal. If you don't have water, you should probably focus on finding some, as you need to drink it. There are no situations in which this method would be possible and panning would not, therefore it's redundant. I believe that keeping mining exclusive to the pickaxe is the simplest and most straightforward choice.

So basically what people in this thread are suggesting is a inefficient way of gathering metal for immersion reasons.

I'm going to point out this is basically creating a "noob trap"

People that understand ore panning and ore scavenging don't need new ways to make get copper/alloy metals

Its the new players used to I see ore, lets mine ore that would be using this feature. Some new players might not understand the concept that they would be ruining the quality of ores they were "mining"

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0