Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Maga

Smooth & Brick Mining Speed Poll (finished, thank you everyone)

Increased Mining Time Survey   29 members have voted

1. 1. They made it take longer to mine smooth stone and bricks...

• It's a good thing and people will use them more because they will be better defended against creepers, griefers and thieves.
    • It's a bad thing because it takes so long to mine that people will stop building with them as much.
    • I don't know and/or I don't realy care.
  2. 2. What should be done about it?

• Nothing.
    • Keep it as it is now.
    • Change it back.
  3. 3. Should there be a config option?

• Yes.
    • No.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 posts in this topic

Because I am very build-focused in TFC my personal opinion is that when the builder of a small wall needs to mine 4 stacks of blocks, and someone breaking through it needs to mine 2, that increasing the time it takes to mine the block punishes the builder and does nothing to stop the attacker. This is because adding 3 seconds per block costs the attack 6 seconds but it costs the builder 384 (using 4 stacks of blocks in his wall).

However, with the recent changes to torch behavior the poll Kitty made showed me that there was a majority of players who did not share my opinion on that matter. Because of that I would like to see what the community thinks about the recent changes to the time it takes to mine smooth stone and bricks, mostly smooth stone because it cannot be crafted so the mining time strongly affects how fast you can get it.

THANKS FOR VOTING, results are in and developers have made a change. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING DEV TEAM.

PS: Mining a single smooth stone takes about 5 seconds with a bronze pick, 4 seconds with a steel pick and 3 seconds with a red steel pick. (in 79.7)

I can't vote in the poll because I check none of the boxes. Add a none of the above option or something similar.

I can't vote in the poll because I check none of the boxes. Add a none of the above option or something similar.

Some of the questions are direct opposites of each other ie: are they a pretty block or a defensive block (due to poll size restrictions). I have a hard time seeing someone needing a none of the above but I added it for you anyways.

Some of the questions are direct opposites of each other ie: are the a pretty block or a defensive block (due to poll size restrictions). I have a hard time seeing someone needing a none of the above but I added it for you anyways.

All your questions are loaded. They can't be defensive blocks because I'm not defending against anything. Meaning all building blocks are aesthetic.

I don't use smooth blocks because of the outline so I would have to vote for aesthetic which would scew the poll.

Fair point, i listed so many choices because they relate the reasons Kitty gave when explaining the change. I should probably make the poll smaller, seems intimidatingly large atm.

Just a note, please don't vote out of speculation. If you don't have any experience with stealing/being robbed or you don't use them in buildings anyway, don't say anything at all. 

Just a note, please don't vote out of speculation. If you don't have any experience with stealing/being robbed or you don't use them in buildings anyway, don't say anything at all. 

Well..no. I don't like it because it's a big punishment for a misclick like that. Expanding on buildings is closed of when you have such a long breaking time too. I don't think 'don't say anything at all' is something fair to say.

I have to disagree about the missclick. If you place one block wrong every so often its a few seconds to fix it. Not a big deal. But when you need to collect a few hundred of blocks for a castle, courtyard, walls, basements, bloomeries and all that other jazz those extra seconds start to add up...that's when its nasty. I've already had a few buildings where I had planned to use smooth stone but after too much mindless digging decided to just go with wood because its less of a pain even though it didn't look as good.

I support the choice to be able to mine smooth stone and bricks faster with any tier tool.

I don't think it should be a config option because then nothings gonna change. Lets face it most of us are too lazy to the config anyway or want to play the game as it was intended. What I'm trying to say is that the config is just a compromise and not the solution. (This how I feel about it anyway)

I don't think it should be a config option because then nothings gonna change. Lets face it most of us are too lazy to the config anyway or want to play the game as it was intended. What I'm trying to say is that the config is just a compromise and not the solution. (This how I feel about it anyway)

You have a point. I still voted for the config, because I think that mining time should be reduced by default, but the option should be there for the minority (or so it seems) of us who play on servers and are afraid of griefers and the like.I think, the problem with such an increased mining time is not only the amount of time to gather stones for your buildings, which affects creative builders like Maga for the most part, but that weighs even more in my opinion is the fact that in combination with the new cave-in system, which doesn't allow for narrow, time saving 2x1 mining shafts anymore, this "feature" evolves into quite a tedium for mining in general, and that affects everybody! Time needed to look for ores underground explodes exponentially with this ...

You have a point. I still voted for the config, because I think that mining time should be reduced by default, but the option should be there for the minority (or so it seems) of us who play on servers and are afraid of griefers and the like.

I think, the problem with such an increased mining time is not only the amount of time to gather stones for your buildings, which affects creative builders like Maga for the most part, but that weighs even more in my opinion is the fact that in combination with the new cave-in system, which doesn't allow for narrow, time saving 2x1 mining shafts anymore, this "feature" evolves into quite a tedium for mining in general, and that affects everybody! Time needed to look for ores underground explodes exponentially with this ...

If you know how to do it right you can mine straight from the surface into the middle of a vein 9/10 times. I barely use the pro-pick anymore, I don't ever get hurt from cave ins and I get my ores pretty fast. It just takes practice. That's just it, you can get better at it with practice. However practice isn't going to help you mine smooth stone any faster when the highest tier tool feels like the speed it should be using bronze.

Adding challenges to the game is not a bad thing, adding challenges that can't be overcome by 90% of the player base is.

Thanks for voting everyone! If you haven't already and this affects you please consider picking a side.

Sweet. New update addresses this issue. Going to check right now.

this needs to be applied to cobblestone as well

Regular game play provides plenty of cobble, I see your argument but the need is not as dire as it was with smooth stone. I wouldn't count on it. If mortared cobble was a thing tho... >_>