Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Terex

Remove snow accumulation limit

38 posts in this topic

I wish to ask again, is it possible to remove the snow accumulation limit? In b79 we can now collect snow balls with a shovel and convert them into blocks and hence layers. However, i cannot stack layers in most places (it varies). This probably has to do with the limit on the number of snow layers per block when it snows.

If someone with the technical know-how could direct me how to remove this limit, that would be great! I'm not necessarily asking to have the limit removed in the mod for everybody. 

A config setting would be nice :)

So no luck aye? I can't just open the mod jar file and find this line of code, can I?

Compiled java code comes in the form of byte code... so unless you can read binary data... you will need the source of both TFC and MC, and an appropriate IDE to dev/build/and test in.

Reading java code takes just a decompiler, like jd gui. Or you can just open it as a text and enjoy your looking at assembler-like commands. With adequate proficiency, you can understand what is happening in the code quite easily.

Now, changing something and compiling it back - that's a slight problem.

No.... decompiling compiled java code (aka bytecode) takes a decompiler. Reading java code requires a text editor and modest comprehension of the natural language it was written in :P-just being snarky

compiled java code (aka bytecode)

We both talk about *.class files, right? If so, then you can concievably read it without decompiling, it returns as a set of JVM assembler commands, and even retains come of the names for classes, methods and variables. I know this because I'm occasionally having to check which version of class is ACTUALLY deployed to JVM.

Yep, thats what im talking about... but ultimately, java byte code isnt considered human readable (not that its impossible, but its like trying to read and understand PCode or native assmebly instructions... Why would you want to?)... which is why we have the Java language. So again... to read Java Code (.java files) you require a text editor, and to decompile byte code (.class files) you need a decompiler. I was just trying to poke fun a the clumsy way you stated that, not so much trying to disagree with you.

Also it would probably just be easier to user a binary compare on the class files VIA the compare plugin for notepad++ (or kdiff or whatever) than it would be try to actually read the file contents. Just compare the known latest build of the class file with the version which has been deployed. At minimum it can tell you that they differ, and a deployment was f'ed up.

Or ya know.. just go to TFC's github repo and read the code there. >.>

but but.... I like arguing about semantics :(

Or ya know.. just go to TFC's github repo and read the code there. >.>

I don't have time for this, unfortunately. If someone is kind enough to do this for me (someone with familiarity of editing code on the github), then I would be grateful. But I don't see my request being a popular one, so... oh well.

I might be able to remove this for ya terex, but no promises. while I know a lot about java (develop in it day in and day out for my job) I dont know a whole lot about MC/TFC code. But Ill take a look at the mods source this weekend and see if I can add a config option or something for it (I think it would be cool to let it accumulate as well, but im sure its more complicated than a simple conditional statement). I also dont know if I can technically distribute a custom build to you, but even if I cant, I may be able to give you instructions on how to do it yourself. But again... no promises... I'm usually pretty busy as my wife constantly has shit for me to do.. but ill try to give it a go.

Thanks mate, any time is great even if you manage it only a month or later from now. It's not meant to be a personal request since there might be other players out there who appreciate more extreme winters, but nonetheless i would be hugely thankful. I dont know how it works and whether Bioxx has the ultimate authority for what goes in the mod and what does not, but any instructions to compile my own custom build would also be welcome.

And add snow on top of highest mountains! My Inca/Dwarven double city would need that as their only  water supply is to bring them from the rivers below the clouds. Maybe we could have an one block wide stream randomly spring from melted ice/snow? Oh, and also, make hot spring water usable for agriculture. And a stone or wooden dam, which can store rainwater and can be used to irrigate the land. Just my 2 cents. Well 4 really...

And add snow on top of highest mountains! My Inca/Dwarven double city would need that as their only  water supply is to bring them from the rivers below the clouds. Maybe we could have an one block wide stream randomly spring from melted ice/snow? Oh, and also, make hot spring water usable for agriculture. And a stone or wooden dam, which can store rainwater and can be used to irrigate the land. Just my 2 cents. Well 4 really...

Snow can only accumulate if temperature is below zero degrees C. Only mountains at very high latitudes may have peaks where it's permanently freezing. Snow blocks crafted from snow balls do not melt however. So you could just harvest some snow to decorate your mountain top. The other requests you make are not appropriate here and not even feasible.

Also it would probably just be easier to user a binary compare on the class files VIA the compare plugin for notepad++ (or kdiff or whatever) than it would be try to actually read the file contents. Just compare the known latest build of the class file with the version which has been deployed. At minimum it can tell you that they differ, and a deployment was f'ed up.

It would, except that I need to compare *.java and *.class files, not two *.class files.

I might be a fun mechanic to have the bottom few layers of snow compress into ice if the snow becomes to deep. Natural glaciers!

I might be a fun mechanic to have the bottom few layers of snow compress into ice if the snow becomes to deep. Natural glaciers!

Yeah... but a few minecraft 'years' is not enough time 'realistically' speaking :D

You say you can combine several snow only on some block?Can you give me some examples?

You say you can combine several snow only on some block?Can you give me some examples?

As in screenshots? You can test it by starting a creative world and teleport to the southern hemisphere where it's winter. Then take some snow layers and start placing them down. You will see that some blocks take multiple layers whereas others none. That's because TFC has a limit placed on the number of layers but it seems to vary from block to block.

As in screenshots? You can test it by starting a creative world and teleport to the southern hemisphere where it's winter. Then take some snow layers and start placing them down. You will see that some blocks take multiple layers whereas others none. That's because TFC has a limit placed on the number of layers but it seems to vary from block to block.

I think I've figured out your problem. I'm guessing that you are cheating in these snow layers, or crafting them? The snow layers that you can cheat/craft are vanilla snow layers, while the snow that actually accumulates on the ground is a TFC snow layer. They're two completely different blocks, so when you try to place down a vanilla snow layer on a TFC one, it just eats it. If you instead place the very first layer, then the block is a vanilla snow layer, and you can add all the layers that you want.

I think I've figured out your problem. I'm guessing that you are cheating in these snow layers, or crafting them? The snow layers that you can cheat/craft are vanilla snow layers, while the snow that actually accumulates on the ground is a TFC snow layer. They're two completely different blocks, so when you try to place down a vanilla snow layer on a TFC one, it just eats it. If you instead place the very first layer, then the block is a vanilla snow layer, and you can add all the layers that you want.

You got it backwards actually. I just checked again. Vanilla snow layers cannot stack more than 1 layer on a block. However, they do stack more than 1 layer (but it varies) on top of TFC snow layers. However, you can only stack up to 1 block height. Adding one more layer on top of a full block causes the entire block to disappear. Also you can walk through these blocks (they are transparent like thatch blocks).

So.. well I would prefer the snow accumulation limit during a snow storm to be tweaked to higher levels or have the limit removed entirely. But if not that, at least I would like to decorate my mountain with snow layers (and snow blocks). BTW the vanilla snow blocks do not "melt" away in summer, obviously.

Why do i care about this so much? I love snow in general (in real life), but also because snow is a neat dynamic feature of TFC.

I very like the snow too.But snow does not melt, this seems odd to me.What do you think of that.During a snowstorm :Snow accumulates.The colder it gets, the faster it accumulates.open barrels outside, this filled with snow.After the snowstorm :If a pile of snow is big, it disappears more slowly.Shovel provides snowballs that can be put in a barrel.After closing the barrel :After a moment a block of snow compact is obtained and will not melt in the sun and can used for construction.

I'm still hopeful, will a dev look into the snow issue? If absolutely nothing will be done about the snow accumulation limit and/or fixing the bug related to snow blocks and layers as decoration instead, I would much rather know that than hope in vain.

Bioxx does not like how Minecraft handles snow, so he isn't going to bother looking into this.