Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AllenWL

I had no idea where to put this so I'm putting this here. What do you people think of TFC+Zombie Apocalypse?(Sorry for the ridiculously long title)

12 posts in this topic

So, Zombie Apocalypses.

I don't like most of those games. I mean, sure, fun, but darn graphics gross me out.

But I do like zombie apocalypses in minecraft. Sorta. Another thing I don't like about those games are the 'shoot on sight' policies they have. I don't really like PVP much, so I end up running, or dying. Usually dying. Sometimes 'teaming up' to get stabbed in the back at first opportunity.

Anyways, I randomly happened to hear about a zombie apocalypses server and that people traded and stuff there.

And that got me thinking for a bit, and made me wonder, what if we had a TFC zombie apocalypse thing of sorts?

Well, the thought process was: What if there was a zombie apocalypse where the goal was no to simply survive, but to 'reclaim' the land from the dead? Followed by how would we encourage players to cooperate instead of fighting? To what if it was with TFC?

Warning: Long and complicated idea which I only have a vague idea on how to actually implement coming up.

The gameplay should be same as TFC, but with challenges. For one, zombies will not burn in daylight, be the only naturally spawning mobs, and spawn at daytime as well. The only way to stop zombie spawns would be the 'spawn protection' mechanic, and possibly a plot-claiming pugin thing.

Wild crops will re-spawn very rarely, and animals would only very rarely be at 'barn' structures. Most crops and animal goods should be found as loot in abandoned towns and such. Most surface ores and nuggets should be 'mined out' and only ores deep underground should remain. Zombies should spawn more frequently underground, meaning the early-metal supply should also be from loot.

Zombies would break through everything but stone, and attack animals and destroy crops.

When your health falls below a certain point due to a a zombie's attack, you will turn into an 'infected'. A infected would be unable to do things such as placing blocks, smiting, 3x3 crafting, tilling ground, leveling up skills, etc, and have their skills reset to 'novice'. The only thing they should be able to would be pretty much breaking blocks, eating/drinking, attacking, and things that are not 'complicated' such as placing tools on tool racks, pumping bellows, using a quern, etc.

However, they can be cured with a medicine of sorts. The medicine, while usable by a infected, will need a 3x3 crafting, meaning a infected cannot get one themselves unless the find it as loot(really really rare)

However, infected should be ignored by zombies until they attack one, and will be very hard to kill, instead, when their health falls below a certain level, they will get a very high resistance effect, preventing any more damage, along with other effects such as blindness, weakness, slowness, mining fatigue, etc, preventing them from doing much until they recover. Once their health rises again, all negative effects will disappear, but the resistance will remain for a few more seconds, giving them time to escape.

However, it will still be possible to kill them by dealing a high enough damage, or attacking them right after they 'recover'(say, if they need to fall below 100hp for the effect to take place, if you deal over 100 damage when they are at health 150 or something, you can kill them.), or by lighting them on fire.

When someone dies(whether infected or non-infected, doesn't matter) all levels and skills are lost, and they are dropped in a random area. However, it is possible to set spawn with a bed.

Thoughts?

Maybe... although i'm not so sure about it being in the TFC setting...

Well, I thought TFC setting would better because for one, it makes it more necessary to settle down instead of wandering around killing everyone and trying not to die like in most zombie apocalypse games.

If it's vanilla minecraft, people who find things like iron ingots can make tools easily 'on the fly' and quickly destroy the environment.

However, in a TFC setting, even if you find loads of metal ingots, you won't be able to make use of them until you settle down somewhere at least temporarily, make a forge, get a anvil, and smith. On the same note, if you want to keep on making use of ingots you find, you'll need to lug around a good-quality anvil, and that would prevent you from say, having a barrel and grabbing more goods.

So having a settlement to keep your goods and work is needed, unlike vanilla minecraft where a furnace and crafting bench(two very moveable blocks) is all you really need.

While In vanilla minecraft, it's easy to quickly chop down a tree, mine some cobble, then pillar up and be forever safe, in TFC, these are not really a viable option. It takes time to make a settlement and secure it, and it'll be much easier with more players. And since a good diet is very important in TFC, protecting your crops and animals will also be a chore, unlike vanilla minecraft, where if you choose, you can fish for all your food, or just get lots of apples. Since food rots, having more players able to come on at more times to trim the rot and such will be a great help.

Someone who steals and kills(the general type of players you find in zombie apocalypse games) will be hard-pressed to find other people to team up with, so have a harder time building and securing shelter, and therefor have a harder time surviving.

These are a few reasons I had for the TFC setting

Sandbox DayZ... Hmm. 

Sounds a lot like MineZ, that game on the shotbow network. I think it could be a lot of fun if you made a plugin that implimented those concept, adding that you can reclaim land by killing a certain number of zombies in that area, and lose it if players die in the same area. Then you could put it on a semi-private server and have a lot of fun with friends. I think MineZ ports especially well to TFC since we have a lot of the mechanics they had to add already built in, like having to drink water (Which is kinda weird in MineZ, since you can drink out of the ocean).

Well, they have mineZ2. which is a lot better, and has murky/salty water, boiling water, and a few more things, such as gathering resources.

Anyways, I was thinking of a zombie apocalypse thing that was less about gathering food and attempting to hoard and slaughter as much as you can before you die, and more about trying to carve out a living in the ruins and pushing the zombies back.

I do like the claim land from undead by killing enough of them, loose it by getting killed too much idea, though it might be troublesome at times...

What about having a 'zombie nest' of sort in the middle of each 'area' and if enough zombies die, or if you break the 'spawner' or anyhow disable the 'nest' zombies stop spawning in that area completely. But if enough people die in the area, or if enough zombies 'settle' in the nest, it becomes 'active' again. The closer to the nest, the more zombies would spawn, and the further from the nest, less zombies will spawn.

However, you should still be able to wall off an area, then prevent spawning, maybe by placing torches or some special block.

So you can either try to make a settlement somewhere far from the 'nests' and defend it, or try to 'reclaim' a area and keep it 'clean'

What if necromancer towers spawns on the continents and hordes of mobs come out from the direction of the towers to attack spawn-protected and lit areas and vandalize them? These mobs would have a color coded mark to identify their master and be different from normal mobs and other necromancer's mobs. Every couples of night a tower will lay siege on other life, like your settlement or even other tower. The only way to stop a tower from churning out mobs is to destroy the tower enough to expose every top of the blocks of the tower to sunlight. If you only kill the necromancer, the next siege army will take control easily and get stronger. The easy way is to plant a keg on the upper part of the tower. You need to battle the inhabitants, which sports armor and phantom weapons, first.

These towers are very rare, with the distance between towers ranging from 2 km to 5 km. Sieges on distant towers can be emulated by counting the power of the forces in the conflict. Eventually, the best, experienced necromancer that is able to spawn greatly equipped mobs will rule the continent and all towers will focus on your settlement.

this needs to be a game

Did somebody say Zombies?

Posted Image

And, yes, this needs to be an addon at the very least.

EDIT: Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo? Is anybody out there?

Edited by Xenolith166

I highly disagree on aiming for a zombie's lower extremities, or decapitating.

Both cases, while slowing down or stopping a zombie, will still leave a live head, which will be very tricky to spot due it it's reduced size and the fact that unlike a normal zombie that is standing upright, is crawling(or rolling) on the ground, and may cause casualties when stepped on.

The point is to exterminate the undead, not turn them into landmines.

Zombie landmines, eh? Might have to look into that...

Anyway, where were we? Oh, yes, right. This should actually be an addon or something. Then we can get together everybody who's doing it and maybe have a server or something.

If you want at least all sorts of monsters coming after you, to emulate a "zombie apocalypse" somewhat, then I suggest Coros' Zombie Awareness mod, :).

In all seriousness, a zombie-styled TFC does sound interesting... might make for some very interesting game dynamics going on, but I think it would be more appropriate as a fun add-on. A zombie apocalypse in TFC would surely completely change how one approaches the game: not only one has to find underground ores via caves to craft viable stuff, but one also has to account for scavenging for food and supplies (of course, this is part of games set in surviving a zombie outbreak, but in TFC's case,): and the whole point of TFC is to overhaul Minecraft's survival mode to be more challenging and believable.

We need to get somebody working on this. I would volunteer, but so far my only experience with programming comes from going into the flans mod files and giving the P-51 Mustang more health and defense.