Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Creeper999

More Bows and other bow building system

29 posts in this topic

I am a very big fan of bow buiding in realive and in minecraft it's just a stick :/.I thought about it and for bow building you need different tools like the drawknife and the wood plane for the bow workpiece and the intestinal of animals like cows and sheeps for the bowstring.This takes much time to craft in real live the wood also must be ash,elm or maple(i don't know more of the woods of them in TFC)and the wood have to dry.You have to bend the bow.Also other bow types could be nice like the longbow,

the composite bow and the bow for riding.Also a special working place like a shaving horse this could look like this on the shaving horse is also the drawknife.

Posted Image

I don' know more about bow building in english ;D .Additions from you guys are welcome.

This is a game for kids! It is hard enought to make arrows in this game, not even talking about the mod...

it's not hard to find an ash :rolleyes: .And for beginning you can use the flint tool.The stoneage mens build their bows like that but in the metal age there more choses for the bow building !And when kids understand how you find some metal inTFC(No child is that stupid i think)it can build also a bow .

I meant as in getting the flint it self... For the arrows...

This is a game for kids!

Tell that to the Comp Sci Graduates using Redpower to lay out circuit designs...

And to all the High school teachers teaching logic to their students...

And to all the IT professionals building skyscrapers in their spare time...

And to Slowpoke, who build the FTB map, Eloraam (Redpower), SirSengir(Forestry & Buildcraft)... I could go on..

@Teranz so now why you dind't say "other arrow tips could be also nice!"?

Teranz: I'm sure many young children play this game i am not one of them and if these children are looking for an easy game they have came to the wrong place if you want something easy go play mario.

Teranz: I'm sure many young children play this game i am not one of them and if these children are looking for an easy game they have came to the wrong place if you want something easy go play mario.

You call Mario easy? O.o

Yes minecraft might be easy for kids, but I highly doubt TFC is suited for kids.

Haha, Have you read my crossbow topic? I am actually looking more into making an entire bowyer/fletcher addon for TFCraft that would allow you to use different types of woods and other materials in the bow's arms and then other materials for the strings and such. Add in tools to make it possible to gather feathers from chickens with out killing em maybe.. anywho, Lots of possibilities but it would be nice to have an actual bowyer's input on it all. Always a careful line to tread though between what is realistic and what is fun.

@Crysyn sorry didn't read it cause i thought it's over crossbows :D but after some suggestions it was also for bow .but for the shaving horse and the drawingknife it could give an minigame.That would be fun i think.

Why wouldn't we just add in the metal arrow heads we all want instead of making you reliant on flint ones? :)

Why not both? Flint is needed more anyway, especially in SMP!

the intestinal of animals like cows and sheeps for the bowstring.

This would be great, not having to hunt spiders to get string for bows and such. Would go well with the knife and butchery ideas too.

so difeerent sitcks got implentet i think bioxx is going to add speacial bow types like maplle bow,ash bow etc.

Speaking as someone who actually made and strung his own bow... once... and it was exceptionally low-quality cuz it was in shop...

*ahem* but anyway

The wood has to be soaked first before it can be shaped at all.

So I'm thinking 2 logs and a knife in the same position where you craft a vert. support beam with an axe would give you a <insert wood here> staff. Then, make a 3x3 pit in the ground, line it with non-cobble stone (raw, brick, or smooth), and dump a bucket of water in the middle. This creates a water block that can't be picked up with the bucket and opens a gui - similar to the magma block created by the forge. The gui is just 4 slots on the right and 4 on the left, with a left-to-right arrow in the middle. You put the staffs (and possibly other things you would need to soak) in the left slots, and after x time their soaked versions pop in on the right. Then you could maybe take the soaked wood to a bowyers bench (similar to the above picture) and use it to work the wet wood just like you'd work metal on the anvil. After successfully working the soaked staff into a soaked bow, you'd have to leave it in the bench till it dried (removing bent wet wood from whatever you're using to shape it will ALWAYS fuck up the end result, TRUST me). Your new unstrung <insert wood here> bow would then get strung using... idk whatever you guys are using animal guts for up there, I didn't use sheep innards to string mine irl.

I'm actually a little surprised that bow making isn't already in-mod. The quality of workmanship and materials in a bow influence the potential damage of a arrow-strike at least as much (and probably much more ) as does the characteristics of an arrowhead.

I'm thinking wood type would affect durability and damage modifier, as well as arrow drop off and projectile speed. It would be neat if we could have a few bow recipies too, such as shortbows, long bows, maybe even crossbows, which would influence draw-time, durability (as well), material cost, repair difficultly, and even perhaps affect the chance to recover arrows (I.E., it would be harder to recover arrows from a longbow than from a shortbow.)

With so many wood types already implemented, a bowyery seems like a natural step.

JDCollie other bow tapes are already in teh first post...

you'd have to leave it in the bench till it dried (removing bent wet wood from whatever you're using to shape it will ALWAYS fuck up the end result, TRUST me).

Just like you 'can't' carry searing hot ingots of metal...

Good idea though, changing heat, anvil and metal, to water-content, bowyer's bench and wood :D (But keeping them both :P)

It could also have 'other uses'

Just like you 'can't' carry searing hot ingots of metal...

I think it's implied that Steve has tongs

I like the idea of more complex bows. specially if it would include diferent ways of getting string. Killing giant spiders does not sound very realistic. As far as kids playng minecraft , my 5 year old kid plays and he goes as much as cooking coble to make soft stone and creating brick stone. So, minecraft is not hard for kids but i agree that terrafirmaft is not for him.

of course TFC is nothing for 5 year old kids but my 12 year old brother understand TFC perfect so i think he also understand bow building and so on.

Don't composite bows have various mechanical supports? If so, then advanced bow-making could be linked to metallurgy.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0