Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ace5

Nifty tricks

31 posts in this topic

Share your nifty tricks here. Not exploits.

You can place torches on an upside down stair if you place it before you chisel the block. Once chiseled, you won't be able to place the torch.

Forgot to add, don't update the blocks next to it. Best leave this at the end of the build.

• A quick and easy shelter for the first nights is to just dig in/under a clay pocket.
  • No need to cool ingots and heat them up again, you can usually take them in "work able:weld able" state out of a ingot casts.
  • If you use Jack'o'Lanterns, but don't like the looks of them, just put them 2 deep/high and make the covering block detailed, so light just comes trough.

• Fences don't protect livestock against wolves, as they can often hit through them. Make your enclosures 2 thick, or use solid blocks as a barrier.
  • Excavate a vein of ore from the top down: greatly reduces chance of caveins.
  • You can never have too many ceramic vessles. If planning a long trip, make 90% of your inventory vessles. It might be a hassle juggling all the items around, but it beats having to make additional trips. Don't forget that you can carry a barrel with you, and fill that barrel with ceramic vessles.

• You can stack straw and stones into thatch and cobblestone. 2 stacks of 64 make a full 32 stack from the other.
  • You can use Clay Jugs to fill large vessels and barrels.
  • Putting many portions of the same food in the crafting allows you to stack them in to more Oz. The knife can cut in half to fit 160 in a vessel as 80:80

You can chisel the blocks around a forge once it's set up. I've seen some very ugly forges on youtube and I sense that they didn't test this out. In the 1.6.4 versions, only 1 side would ruin a forge but in now all sides can be chiseled from the sides.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unfortunately you can no longer chisel the side blocks to make them shorter. You could do this in B78. Although a little cheaty it made accessing a forge a million times easier when it had a crucible on top.

A trick I've found is to fill a large ceramic vessel or barrel with water is to just right click on water with an empty barrel or vessel -- it will fill the entire thing in one go. No need to bail water into them with a jug or bucket.

I've round out today that, if you want to find out the last rock layer of the area you are you just have to find a hot spring, the rock the water is in will be the same as the Igneous rock at the third layer

Put some two-high berry bushes or short trees (with leaves just one block off the ground, or even better, artificially made so the leaves are right on the ground), around the place, and it makes very nice shelters you can hide in in a pinch if can't get in shelter fast enough at night.

Not really fool-proof, as while mobs will lose sight of you, they will still walk into the bush/tree you're hiding in, and spiders and zombies will still hurt you if you bump into them. But it can give you respite to heal up a bit, and confuse the mobs before you dash into the next bit of shelter.

Also, if you happen to not see any igneous rocks nearby to make a stone anvil, go look for a hot spring. From what I've seen, they always have igneous rocks.

Thatch makes great mob traps.

Bows are pretty good weapons, as they can one-hit a lot of mobs when fully charged. It doesn't work against skeletons, and because it's slow to charge, and doesn't seem to do much damage to spiders, it's not a good weapon against spiders, which can take multiple hits from a fully charged bow, and will most likely be on top of you before you can fire more than 2, maybe 3 fully charged shots.

However, they do make great hunting weapons, and you can easily kill a squid by swimming out to the ocean, aiming down, shooting a squid, then sinking straight down, grabbing the items, and swimming back up. Plus, because you can often retrieve a arrow after you shoot it,  single stack of 16 arrows are more than enough arrows to carry around. Unless you can't actually gather every arrow you shoot.

Pigs and chickens are very good for raising your butchery skill. Practice on them before you move on to more hard-to-breed animals, like cows.

You can transfer liquids in barrels by picking one up and right-clicking on another barrel.

Got way too much barrels with so little tannin/limewater in them that you can't do anything with them, but don't want to dump it? Pour it all into one barrel and you're good to go!

I always keep a couple of stacks of sticks in my forge working chest. When I'm done smithing I use the remaining heat to craft torches. Shift-click them in, double click finished torch to grab them all out, rinse and repeat. Very quick way to make a stack or two of torches and no wasted fuel.

Let's see, you can carve 2 knives from one piece of stone. You can break logs with a hammer to get sticks if you are short on them. You can gather straw with a scythe. Hammers are a good weapon for fighting skeletons early game. A clever way to dig core samples without wasting lots of ladders is to dig near water. Start a 2x1 hole, but make sure one of the blocks is always deeper than the other one. Then you can drain ocean/pond/lake into that side of the hole. If you need to get out or you get stuck in a cave, just swim up the waterfall. If you plan on moving, don't make an anvil, leave it as double ingots so you can transport them without using your back slot. Don't use ropes, they don't hold animals well, use grain to move them instead. (or use both i guess). You can drink (slowly) without a jug by rightclicking (shiftrightclicking?) on fresh water. Don't fight with knives, they don't hit very hard, use axes or hammers. 

Quick torch creation: create a torch and place it (lit). Then right-click on it with sticks - each click changes a stick into a torch in your inventory. This is faster than trying to create a bunch of torches from a campfire, and doesn't use up any additional wood.

Quick torch creation: create a torch and place it (lit). Then right-click on it with sticks - each click changes a stick into a torch in your inventory. This is faster than trying to create a bunch of torches from a campfire, and doesn't use up any additional wood.

Actually it does use more wood. Fire pit and forge give 2 torches per stick. Clicking on torch just gives 1.

Actually it does use more wood. Fire pit and forge give 2 torches per stick. Clicking on torch just gives 1.

Fire pit and forge require fuel as well, though.

If you really want oak wood, or if you get caught out with no sticks, such as in a mine, desert or anywhere without trees, in a pinch you can craft boats out of any type of wood and crash them. You'll get back oak wood and a couple of sticks.

Great thread.  I learned a couple of things. Here's one I noticed. 

Some berry bushes, raspberry and blackberry are two, cause damage when walked into.  Can be used like cactus to injure mobs.

The damage from raspberry and blackberry bushes is negligible. It is not going to be an effective way to kill mobs.

...but you can place the thorny bushes where mobs are likely to concentrate if they're trying to get you inside your base and it acts like a bit of an alarm system. The "damage" sounds have saved me many times on my way out the door. Creepers gonna creep.

Or you can use them in a mob trap to kill mobs while maintaining easy retreivability of drops. A 3-deep pit with bushes in the bottom and thatch on the top.

Allen,

Spiders die to 3 fully charged bow shots, 2 if you are lucky. Most importantly, they will not attack you from a distance. You can snipe the from quite far with no retaliation.

I consider bows the best way to kill spiders, even compared to T2 sword and armor.

In creative, at least in vanilla, if you Ctrl+Middle Click (Pick Block) on a sign while holding a sign, it will be copied, so that whenever you place it, it's got the same text as the original.

Allen,Spiders die to 3 fully charged bow shots, 2 if you are lucky. Most importantly, they will not attack you from a distance. You can snipe the from quite far with no retaliation.I consider bows the best way to kill spiders, even compared to T2 sword and armor.

Huh, really? I don't really distance-snipe mobs because it feels sorta cheaty for me, so I attacked a spider like 10-ish blocks away. I got off one fully charged shot, then another, then the spider was on top of me, and I can't really recall if I fully charged before shooting or not due to panicking. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if my second shot was fully charged either.

After that, I put spiders along with skeletons on my "Do not engage" list, so I never shot at them again. Time to try again?

Also, for tips

When fighting lots of non-ranged mobs, and you're having a hard time, run across ponds or jump into lakes and oceans. Knockback is increased, and mobs are much slower in water, so you can fight off multiple foes relatively safely.

If you're fighting skeletons stay away from water at all costs. It will most likely end up as your grave.

Right-click a lit torch with sticks to turn all held stick into a torch instantly. While you lose 1/2 the torches you could have had, it saves a lot of time.

Huh, really? I don't really distance-snipe mobs because it feels sorta cheaty for me, so I attacked a spider like 10-ish blocks away. I got off one fully charged shot, then another, then the spider was on top of me, and I can't really recall if I fully charged before shooting or not due to panicking. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if my second shot was fully charged either.After that, I put spiders along with skeletons on my "Do not engage" list, so I never shot at them again. Time to try again?

What you had was not a fully charged shot... When you first draw back your bow you'll see it pull back to the first stage over the course of about a second (this is animated). If you stand there and continue to hold right click for two seconds it will pop back to stage 2. Another three seconds later it pops back to fully charged mode and the arrow head will be right up against the wood of the bow. That's a full 6 seconds you have to hold right click to get a fully charged shot, which isn't possible to do even once between the time a spider sees you and when it's close enough to hit you. Hence the sniping from a distance. 

Also, for tipsWhen fighting lots of non-ranged mobs, and you're having a hard time, run across ponds or jump into lakes and oceans. Knockback is increased, and mobs are much slower in water, so you can fight off multiple foes relatively safely.If you're fighting skeletons stay away from water at all costs. It will most likely end up as your grave.Right-click a lit torch with sticks to turn all held stick into a torch instantly. While you lose 1/2 the torches you could have had, it saves a lot of time.

Right clicking a lit torch with sticks only gives you one new torch at a time, but you can keep holding right click to burn through the stack rather quickly.

In creative, at least in vanilla, if you Ctrl+Middle Click (Pick Block) on a sign while holding a sign, it will be copied, so that whenever you place it, it's got the same text as the original.

That is for Minecraft 1.8, and does not work in Minecraft 1.7, which is the version that TFC runs on.

Emergency food (infinite storage time): keep a barrel full of curdled milk, do not seal it. Once you run out of food, seal the barrel and wait one night and BAM, big fresh cheese.