Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Red3Tango

Rename Items

14 posts in this topic

With playing on a cooperative server, I tend to like naming my tools and gear in case I loose something. Or that if someone needs to borrow my stuff. Currently the only way I know of doing this is to cheat in a vanilla anvil (or by enabling some crossover recipes).

My suggestion would be a way that we can rename items (that wouldnt require levels or vanilla items). Something like the current Name Tags, maybe that they have an item slot where you could put something in, rename, then when you take the item out it uses up the nametag?

Not sure how viable this is, but figured it would be a nice little feature for us that like naming everything just to name it ;)

If this were to be added, it would likely be some sort of interface that pops up upon creation of a tool head in the anvil. That way it would simulate engraving or stamping the name into the metal while the tool head was still at workable temperature.

Would that require an extra tool, or would it just be available for everything you make in an anvil? What about naming clothes in future builds, since I'm guessing they'll come with body temperature. Since they won't be made on an anvil, could we sew on names? Could we name barrels and vessels to more easily distinguish them, by carving into the wood or clay? 

Would that require an extra tool, or would it just be available for everything you make in an anvil? What about naming clothes in future builds, since I'm guessing they'll come with body temperature. Since they won't be made on an anvil, could we sew on names? Could we name barrels and vessels to more easily distinguish them, by carving into the wood or clay? 

Whoa whoa whoa, none of that has even been considered, as the feature has never officially been planned to even be added. The only thing that people have ever asked about is naming tools, which are made out of metal, and that was the one idea that seemed to make the most sense.

IMO naming tools would do well as a start of a smithing skill effect tree. A novice could name things, an adept could also add an inscription, an expert could balance the pommel with a gem for 10% attack speed boost and a master could inlay things with other metals for bling and potentially a DMG boost of around 5 or 10 percent. It's a bit bigger of an idea but I feel that skills in general have lots of potential for bonus gameplay such as this. (Could also have equivalent bonuses unlocked for tools and armor)

I don't think adding a piece of shiny stone on the pommel is a very good way to balance the weight, but sure, why not.

But instead of a speed boost, I'd rather the tool/weapon not fatigue you as much to use.

I would really like to name tools and armor too. Not just for practical uses, but some tools I use for a long time, or has some special meaning, I really like naming and keeping, you know?

It seems to me a simple way to rename a tool would be to place it in you crafting grid with a named name tag, no need for new blocks or a new interface.  It would work out to literal be a tool with a name tag.

Yeah I actually like that idea a little better than my original one. Makes a lot of sense, and very simple to remember lol

With this also other things could be named with a nametag like chests

With this also other things could be named with a nametag like chests

---

you mean, like a sign?

---

you mean, like a sign?

No vanilla has a feature that if you rename a chest in an anvil and place the chest the chest says whatever you called it instead of "chest" on the inventory screen of the chest.

No vanilla has a feature that if you rename a chest in an anvil and place the chest the chest says whatever you called it instead of "chest" on the inventory screen of the chest.

TFC chests don't have any sort of text inside of them the last I checked.

TFC chests don't have any sort of text inside of them the last I checked.

Ah your right I didn't even notice wow... (Oeps)

How unexpected, now I must confess it wasn't a feature I personally used in vanilla.

Going back and replacing chest with named chest was never my style.

But it was a feature of renaming I remembered.

Oh well It was one of the more obscure features anyway

IMO naming tools would do well as a start of a smithing skill effect tree. A novice could name things, an adept could also add an inscription, an expert could balance the pommel with a gem for 10% attack speed boost and a master could inlay things with other metals for bling and potentially a DMG boost of around 5 or 10 percent. It's a bit bigger of an idea but I feel that skills in general have lots of potential for bonus gameplay such as this. (Could also have equivalent bonuses unlocked for tools and armor)

I agree. Novice gives the item its name, adept can write in a lore description (the purple text) expert adds gems but probably only for aesthetics and finally, master can plate metals onto heads to change the tool to a debuffed version of what the plated metal pick is. All done for far less metal than you would use to make a full pick, especially useful for scare metals like red steel.