Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lipki

I wish could die of thirst

10 posts in this topic

Bonjour,

I wish could die of thirst:DHere's what I propose.We eat, we are fine.Eat the good food make us better.When we are hungry, we are weak, we die after a week without eating.If we are thirsty, we are weak, we die in three days.When hungry or thirsty, the screen turn red, so that it is clearly visible.It flashes if one is close to death.No sudden death.--Sleeping in a Straw & Hide bed, spend the night, but consumes a lot of food.Sleeping in a wool bed, consumes little food and restore health to 100%.If we are on the verge of death from starvation or thirst, we can not sleep.----I hope that my english is understandable.

Merci.

Sleeping in a Straw & Hide bed, spend the night, but consumes a lot of food.

two years without sleeping on my map, it's hard; (

I don't know about the screen turning red. You should be able to keep track of your own thirst/hunger.

But I do agree that thirst should kill. Because hunger and thirst no longer directly kill you, I've seen(well, not really, they just said that they do it) people who go mining or something, and simply just don't bother to come out to eat or drink. 

I don't think eating and drinking should just be something that is 'nice if you can do it, but unnecessary'

I personally find the slowness to be enough of a problem that I keep my thirst up, but I do think there should be more of a penalty for not drinking. After a day or two of no water you could start taking damage or have your max health drastically reduced.  I would also like to see passive debuffs for starving too, like if your food is low you get mining fatigue.

That does sound nice, compared to b78 there really doesnt seem to be any adverse effects to hunger/thirst. I am aware in b78 it was a bug that did as much damage for starvation. Just reducing your max health (in b79) is a step in the right direction, but takes a long time to reduce your nutrition and drop down to a max health of 50. But if you do it right, you can have a max health of 50, but current health at 1000+.

Personally I liked the bug in b78, when you take that first 50% damage from starvation. Instantly start looking around for the mob that hit you, then when you realized it was food you go into panic mode trying to find something to eat :)

Since when single player I play exclusively Hardcore, I can tell you from experience that a max health of 50 is almost certain death if you don't eat/drink soon.

This change has removed a lot of tedium and random dying because of bad spawn from Hardcore single player, while keeping 99% of the danger of starvation/dehydration.

Props to the devs for this. Bravo!

Crash Landing
I haven't seen a better punishment system/mechanics that what is shown in that mod pack when you don't eat or drink properly. If you are thirsty you get some potion effects "Weakness, Slowness I, II, III..." in certain degree depending on how bad the situation is, your hunger bar drops faster too. If you are hungry you get some similar potion effects adding Mining Fatigue, Nausea, and you can't see very well. 

It's really impresionant when you are in a situation where you dont have food or water, you go slow as a snail can't do damage or break blocks you really feel the desperation that you are dying and just want somebody to help you, it's really cool. The problem is it's really aggressive in one day you die but maybe with some programing powers they can make it fit to TFC ambient like lipki said.

I suggest give it a try the mod pack is called "crash landing" you can find it on Feed The Beast "FTB" or watch some vids in youtube.

Crash Landing
I haven't seen a better punishment system/mechanics that what is shown in that mod pack when you don't eat or drink properly. If you are thirsty you get some potion effects "Weakness, Slowness I, II, III..." in certain degree depending on how bad the situation is, your hunger bar drops faster too. If you are hungry you get some similar potion effects adding Mining Fatigue, Nausea, and you can't see very well. 

It's really impresionant when you are in a situation where you dont have food or water, you go slow as a snail can't do damage or break blocks you really feel the desperation that you are dying and just want somebody to help you, it's really cool. The problem is it's really aggressive in one day you die but maybe with some programing powers they can make it fit to TFC ambient like lipki said.

I suggest give it a try the mod pack is called "crash landing" you can find it on Feed The Beast "FTB" or watch some vids in youtube.

I really like the feel of starving in Crash Landing, but I agree it's a little too quick and punishing for TFC gameplay.

That said, one thing I think is missing from MC mods is a strong signal that your food is running low. In CL, there are text warnings along with the hunger bar. In TFC, there is really just the hunger bar. I feel like these are inadequate - in TFC, I often find myself mining or working on a build or really just going about my business and suddenly I'm starving before I even realized it. This would never happen IRL because I am well aware when I'm hungry. I don't have to actively check if I'm hungry all the time.

I wouldn't mind a more obvious visual signal, or better yet, an audible cue that hunger is running low. It would be cool to have a sound play that sounds like a rumbly stomach when the hunger bar is down to 20% or something. Or maybe it plays once at 50%, then gets progressively more frequent as hunger goes down.

Something similar would be nice for thirst, too, but the slowness debuff isn't a bad signal.

My point being, I don't know if a red screen is ideal, but some kinds of signals before debuffs would improve gameplay and realism IMO.

Crash Landing sounds like they use EnviroMine mod. I agree that hunger and thirst should kill you after a while of not replenishing. I liked how tough TFC was with those mechanics before.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0