Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
MDub

Stupid Chickens...

34 posts in this topic

So I was making my way south to the southern hemisphere last night. This is a hard trip to make early on because of oceans being big, and heatstroke actually causing damage now (I vaguely remember kitty saying its been around a while, but Ive never had issues with it until 79). It becomes really easy to die near the equator because of the extreme heat, and an almost complete lack of rivers. They may be generated correctly... but in my 20k walk, I didnt see a single one. Ive pretty much written off the equator as a habital zone because I don't want to accidentally get stuck out in the open with no thirst, be slowed, and take constant damage from heat stroke and die. Anyway, on my way down there I passed a jungle and seen a chicken or two. I was pretty surprised because I havent seen chickens since the spawn restriction to jungle was added. Then I got to thinking about nest boxes, and breeding them, and it occurred to me that I don't often see players settle near a jungle. I asked around on the server and no one who was currently online even bothered with chickens at all. I feel this is because of them only spawning near jungles, and most people hate kapok for anything other than charcoal. Then I checked the wiki, and it states that the jungle biomes only spawn in average temps of 30-50. This puts you well in the range of heat stroke... so I'm certainly not going to settle down there. While I suppose its possible for people to live in adjacent biomes which are slightly less inhospitable, in my experience people tend to settle down near +/-8k because of the way farming works. So now we are in a position where the only way to legitimately aquire a chicken for normal player is to tow one from a jungle, risking the heat stroke and in all likelyhood, a very long walk. Both of these no one really wants to do. This sucks, because the only other way to get chickens is to spawn them in.

So now I just wanted to ask the forum about their experiences with chickens. Does anyone even bother with them? If you didnt aquire your chickens legit, please say so. I only ask because I want to try using nest boxes, but it seems to me that hardly anyone uses them because of the jungle only nature of chickens, and now with heat stroke, there is an additional reason why people wont bother with them. So if anyone has a better way to get chickens, please share.

Have you tried putting them in a Barrel? The name for a person who makes barrels and casks is a Cooper. The word is derived from Middle Dutch or Middle low German kūper 'cooper' from kūpe 'cask', in turn from Latin cupa 'tun, barrel'. Hence the origin of the term "Chicken Coop" because chickens were originally stored in barrels.

And BTW we call Ptarmigans "Stupid Chickens" here because they don't move until you have almost stepped on them.

Wait you can put chickens in a barrel... how, what, when!?

Sounds ridiculous btw....

Hehehehe, that's because it is. You can't put chickens in barrels, what were you thinking?

But seriously, it would be interesting if you could pick up a nest box with the chicken in and carry that back to your home.

I have never really bothered with chickens. They are small and sort of useless, especially if you still can not breed them. It would be nice to have a constant flow of low level food though.

In my world I have had chickens spawn at z -5462 or so.  Not entirely close to the equator but I'm sure it is still fairly warm during the summer!

They are small and sort of useless, especially if you still can not breed them. It would be nice to have a constant flow of low level food though.

Chickens breed on their own without any player interaction. All you need is a rooster near a hen that's in a nest box, and you'll get fertilized eggs that hatch into baby chickens.

For one of my worlds just after nest boxes were introduced I towed a few chickens about 10 kilometers to my base (I like to live at higher lattitudes) just so I could have eggs and chicken meat.

My base is at about -7000, there is an acacia forest to the south, but I have chickens. Can't remember where I got them though, but they were close to my base. 

I put 2 nest boxes down and after a month or 2 had loads of baby chickens everywhere. Then it stopped. I've not had an egg or baby for ages now. I even led a few of the males out over the hill and...well they make nice sandwiches now. I thought the space might be too cramped? Maybe the cows I have now put them off? I'm not too bothered as the amount of meat was minimal and I have better sources now.

One oddity though, in the middle of the enormous acacia forest are 2 Kapok trees, just 2, at maybe -7500. Is that enough to get chickens?

One oddity though, in the middle of the enormous acacia forest are 2 Kapok trees, just 2, at maybe -7500. Is that enough to get chickens?

Chicken spawning is based off of climate, it has absolutely nothing to do with the trees in the area other than some trees might spawn in that climate as well.

Kitty, if that's the case, please explain why ive only seen them in jungles, and why the wiki has, and still does state the spawn area as jungle. As far as im aware, the change logs lack any content about changes in chicken spawn mechanics eclusively for 79, so an out of date wiki as an answer seems unlikely.

Because if you click the word "Jungle" on the chicken page, it brings you to the Climate page: http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Climate

Which says

Climate is a combination of Ambient Temperature, Rainfall, Evapotranspiration (EVT), and Biome which determines the spawning of Animals upon chunk creation. The determination of the climate is based off of the average temperature and rainfall value for the area, and not the current values. This means that it does not matter what time of year the chunk is generated, it will always be the same climate.

Currently there is no way to determine exactly which climate the player is in other than referencing the average biome temperature and rainfall values on the Debug Screen (Default: F3). The climate names listed in this chart are simply general words used to describe areas with that kind of climate. Most of these names do not show up anywhere in the game, or on the debug screen. (i.e. A player knows they are in a boreal forest when the average temperature reads -15, and the rainfall is 300. The debug screen will not say "Boreal Forest.")

Note: Some of the climate parameters overlap, meaning that an area can be considered more than one climate. For example, an area with a biome of rolling hills, a temperature of 15, and a rainfall value of 300 satisfies both the plains and the temperate forest requirements. This means that cows, horses, pigs, wolves, bears, deer and pheasants can all spawn in that area.

So, you can have a "Jungle Climate" that is the proper ambient temperature, rainfall, and EVT values, and yet there are no kapok or acacia trees in the area, and it's just a big ol' empty plains looking place. It's still a "Jungle Climate" and chickens will spawn there because the parameters are correct, but it doesn't necessarily look like a jungle.

Edit: To clarify, this is nothing like how vanilla Biomes work. All that a kapok tree signifies is that the values are within the range to grow kapok trees. It does not mean that the values are also within the range to spawn "Jungle Animals" like chickens. All that a chicken signifies is that the values are within the range to spawn chickens. It does not mean that the values are also within the range to grow "Jungle Trees"

The jungle text is not a hyperlink on the wiki, and it hardly matters. The point is, if the conditions for jungle are required, then they spawn in a jungle, in all likelihood evident by the biome name on the debug overlay. One way or the other, the point of this post is about how nesting boxes are not used due to a number of related and restrictive factors... not the exact specifics behind their spawning.

Except that there is no "Jungle" biome in TFC. You will never see the world "Jungle" on the F3 menu, as the climate page says and what I just quoted.

I'll quote it again to make it more clear:

The climate names listed in this chart are simply general words used to describe areas with that kind of climate. Most of these names do not show up anywhere in the game, or on the debug screen.

Edit: The hyperlink is on the word "Spawn" which is directly next to Jungle.

Kitty.... this is trying my patience. I would like to move past senseless arguments about the specific names behind biomes and whatnot in the game, and focus more on the chickens and nesting boxes. Do you think its cool that no one uses this feature, or do you think there is room for improvement within the context of believability such that people can actually enjoy using these features?

You've already got 3 replies from forum members saying they found/use chickens. I strongly doubt that "no one uses this feature."

Ok then. Chickens are fine because three people use them... certainly a representative sample. I suggest you learn about hyperbolic language and understand not every word is literal.

If you wanted a better sample, you should have added a poll to your topic. If you haven't figured it out yet, people rarely respond with actual text replies to topic unless they feel strongly about it. To add more anecdotes to disprove your theory that people don't bother with chickens, there are a few episodes from my teammates in the recent season of TFCrack in which they came across chickens in just their normal adventures, and very much wanted to take them back to our base except that they didn't have a rope to transport them back. From the majority of players who I have spoken with, chickens are a rare treasure, that players do indeed try and bring back home with them whenever they get the chance. But that's just an anecdote of my experience, so take it as you will. I personally make the trip to jungles specifically for the purple kapok wood, but I take ropes with me when I do because I know if I come across chickens in my journey, I want to take them back with me.

You can find chickens on the 5k,-5k line, you don't need to go to the equator. I have found chickens in open areas with no trees around at all.

In the last build I set up base at 0,0 for over a year. In older versions I've seen another guy set up for a while near the equator. It could be a new feature.

I haven't bothered with them in this build yet but I did before. They give a small amount of food every day with no effort apart from bringing them to your base if you've set up a large distance away.

Ok... so bringing this topic back from the edge, will pheasants become more like chickens in a future update with the breeding and egg laying? or will they remain basically the same.

Ok... so bringing this topic back from the edge, will pheasants become more like chickens in a future update with the breeding and egg laying? or will they remain basically the same.

Pheasants will always be the wild bird that you cannot breed and will not lay eggs.

Too bad, I think i like pheasants more than chickens.

I've found chickens in an acacia wood forest in my world. I killed them all for feathers because i cant be bothered bringing some over to my base some 6,000 blocks away. Maybe next time i will put a nesting box with another flock so that they can lay eggs over time, which i can come back for. I assume we don't have to familiarize chickens then...

Can't you just pluck the feathers off them and let them live? Or have there been changes that this isn't possible anymore?

BTW ... can you tow pheasants into a pen to use them as a feather farm? Haven't tried that yet ...

Plenty of chickens near me.

But I did spawn at -5.5k and have a MASSIVE jungle all around.

My base is near the edge of it.

Never had any heatstroke problems myself.

The seed is '28' if you want to try it.

Can't you just pluck the feathers off them and let them live? Or have there been changes that this isn't possible anymore?BTW ... can you tow pheasants into a pen to use them as a feather farm? Haven't tried that yet ...

Dunk made the change so that chickens/pheasants must be familiar before you can pluck them. It doesn't make much sense imo, but it was a change that was made.