Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
MDub

Stupid Chickens...

34 posts in this topic

Dunk made the change so that chickens/pheasants must be familiar before you can pluck them. It doesn't make much sense imo, but it was a change that was made.

I can see that though where a person "familiar" to a chicken would have an easier time getting close to it whereas an "unfamiliar" person might not be able to catch it. He should make it so that plucking lowers familiarity regardless.

I can see that though where a person "familiar" to a chicken would have an easier time getting close to it whereas an "unfamiliar" person might not be able to catch it. He should make it so that plucking lowers familiarity regardless.

Yes, but if you can get close enough to feed it to increase familiarity, you are close enough to get some feathers.

Yes, but if you can get close enough to feed it to increase familiarity, you are close enough to get some feathers.

True XDI'm wondering, if a chicken offspring can be fully familiarized too, since the breeding mechanic does work differently than with mammals ...

Towing chickens (or any animal) home is actually decently easy/quick if you just go by boat.

You can ride full speed, dosn't have to worry about mobs and since there is no terrain for them to get stuck on

not a single rope broke for me using that method.

Took me maybe an hour to move a bunch from 3k to 11k and since they multiply like crazy.. ^^

Posted Image

Btw i'm quite impressed by the roosters, they manage to fertilize eggs from another fenced off area about 5 blocks away. :P

Chickensies tis the bestest food source for servers.... No input and massive output after a couple of days.

Plus with the chicken you are granted the ability to crash the server whenever you want by just giving them more nest boxes.

Chickengeddon is real and the metallic death screams of a thousand roosters oh so satisfying.

The power of the chicken is unrivaled in the lands of TFC. And if you doubt it; leave one rooster and one hen in a pen with nest boxes in SMP and watch the miracle and disaster of exponential population expansion in an undying world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pheasants will always be the wild bird that you cannot breed and will not lay eggs.

Is this a balance / gameplay decision or a "historic" decision? (as in, because it didn't really happen)

Because I personally really like the idea of the players being able to breed deer instead of, say, pigs, and pigs (boars, really) staying a wild animal instead. After all, today's pigs, cows, chickens, etc. were all once wild animals themselves and only through generations of breeding did they become "farm animals". It's an awesome "what-if" scenario that I think would be worth enabling.

Is this a balance / gameplay decision or a "historic" decision? (as in, because it didn't really happen)

Because I personally really like the idea of the players being able to breed deer instead of, say, pigs, and pigs (boars, really) staying a wild animal instead. After all, today's pigs, cows, chickens, etc. were all once wild animals themselves and only through generations of breeding did they become "farm animals". It's an awesome "what-if" scenario that I think would be worth enabling.

Balance / Gameplay decision. Chickens are an incredibly OP animal in that they require little to no player interaction to breed and infinitely provide food. Because of this, we have made chickens rare in that they only spawn in jungle-like climates. However, players are still going to need feathers for other reasons. This is where the pheasant comes into play. It's a common, wild source of feathers for those who do not wish to make the long trek to the jungle, but it cannot be exploited to the degree at which Chickens can.

Nice to understand why pheasant exist, I did always wonder.

Oh and some advice for people breeding chickens and then they suddenly stop breading. Check the next boxes for unfertilised eggs. My 2 roosters are obviously too lazy to do their job, what seems like, most of the time. Once I realised, and cleared the nest boxes of eggs, they started breeding again, and I have lots of little yellow chicks running around, ready to be slaughtered! I mean, pretty fluffy yellow, chicks...flowers, sun-rays and stuff...

Chickens are a fantastic source of food. Once you set up 6 or so nest boxes and leave them for a while, you will have a ridiculous number of chickens, as well as as many eggs as you want, which almost never decay. It took me a while to realize this, but you don't have to be in the equator to find them : I found same at z = -6000 the other day - it was, as kitty describes, a plains-y biome that was hot and wet.