Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Have you ever found Graphite in Gneiss?

24 posts in this topic

Since the wiki lied to me about the 500+ rain fruit trees I question everything the wiki says. Currently my question is as titled.

I'm asking because I walked a huge amount of Gneiss land while using a pro pick and couldn't find any Graphite...

From the config there is an ore rarity which is:

sphalerite - 100

silver - 100

tetrahedrite - 120

galena - 100

graphite - 100

which are the ores that spawn in gneiss rock, so I guess graphite should be no more rare then silver, but guess what:

while I used 6 copper pro picks and 2 iron ones here is what I found:

sphalerite - over 30 viens (I didn't even count.. they are everywhere)

silver - about 10 viens (I have 7 of them marked)

tetrahedrite - over 30 viens (I didn't even count.. they are everywhere)

galena - 10-15 or so

graphite - 0 (do they exist?)

Which is way over ridiculous (which is my favorite taste in tfc :P)

So unless I'm missing something, or someone can explain, I'm on my way to mcedit to confirm my findings.

More important, did anyone ever found graphite on the surface?

I once found graphite exposed to open air in a mountain range, I forget what rock it was in though

Graphite is not an ore but a mineral, as far as I know, so you'll never find small graphite rocks on the surface in form of small rocks or nuggets, only if you are extremely lucky and come about exposed veins like Elagn said ...

Graphite is not an ore but a mineral, as far as I know, so you'll never find small graphite rocks on the surface in form of small rocks or nuggets, only if you are extremely lucky and come about exposed veins like Elagn said ...

I know.. I did mention using 8 pro picks didn't I?

I know.. I did mention using 8 pro picks didn't I?

I didn't miss that, it was just a reminder, 'cause you were asking about finding graphite on the surface.

The only Graphite I've found so far in v79 was in Gneiss.

It was in a 2nd layer of rock, and I stumbled across it when I fell into a ravine that had a cave entrance in front of where I landed. As it was MM rock I went to have a look, not too far inside I got traces of Graphite. The actual source was 3 or 4 blocks in on a wall deeper inside the cave.

On a side note, if I'm reading the code right the sizes of seams is currently hard-coded. So don't read too much into the config file. I went changing mine to see if I could force graphite to spawn, the config file did nothing.

createOreVein(block, meta ,baseRocks, /*rarity*/rarity,/*veinSize*/20,/*veinAmt*/30,/*height*/5,/*diameter*/40,/*vDensity*/vDensity,/*hDensity*/hDensity, worldObj, random, ChunkX, ChunkZ, min, max, "Graphite");

Yes. I've found more exposed on the surface than I have found underground or in a mountain. I mostly find it in marble and quartzite.

On a side note, if I'm reading the code right the sizes of seams is currently hard-coded. So don't read too much into the config file. I went changing mine to see if I could force graphite to spawn, the config file did nothing.

createOreVein(block, meta ,baseRocks, /*rarity*/rarity,/*veinSize*/20,/*veinAmt*/30,/*height*/5,/*diameter*/40,/*vDensity*/vDensity,/*hDensity*/hDensity, worldObj, random, ChunkX, ChunkZ, min, max, "Graphite");

Does your reading apply to all ores and minerals or just to graphite? I don't believe it applies to any since I did some testing. Created a world and found lots of nickel on the surface. Adjusted the config to lower the amount of nickel, remade the world and the nickel was no longer spawning in the surface where I was standing.

Which class did you grab that from? You're probably reading from the ore generation class that isn't even called anymore.

as I understand the code, there are 3 sizes of veins - that code is for the small one.

You can only configure which of the 3 vein sizes to use, but not the exact size of each vein.

{ assuming this is com.bioxx.tfc.WorldGen.Generators.WorldGenOre.oreSmallVein(...) }

Each Vein size has the same/similar code. The file is indeed /src/Common/com/bioxx/tfc/WorldGen/Generators/WorldGenOre.java as suggested above

The cfg file does allows these parameters to be tinkered with though.

To be honest I've not traced it through to see how the worlds are generated, yet. I was going to have a nose at the weekend, but my interest is more from a stone point of view. I was sure stone was more diverse in 78. I just stumbled across this as I was exploring the code. Well actually I was looking to see why rocks (in the wild) have screwey names.

I used MCEdit to see if there is a graphite in the area I was looking in and guess what, since I was using the surface method the program found that:

~10000 chunks of gneiss stone from height 256 - 144 (you have to be at least at 156 to check there)

contained only 2 graphite..

in my entire world, which is 117000 chunks, 350mb save file, there is still only 2 graphite from height 256 - 144

Conclusion: don't look for graphite on surface..

Matter of luck. I found 2 pockets of graphite with random hit on a hill as I climbed it within 100 blocks of each other in schist stone. One had less then a stack, but other I've pulled out 8 stacks and says very large still.

Just through chance I never find graphite in gneiss. On the other hand graphite spawn regularly on the surface for me, or at least in an open ravine or cave.

Mined kilometers of all the rock types which spawns the graphite. Got every ore possible in the mod except sylvite and graphite.

Traveled tons of continents.

Making graphite so rare that is required to create a freaking smelting bucket for the iron is nonsense.

I love challenge but this is just useless after weeks of grinding.

Spent hour in creative mode steamrolling through marble stone and caves. No traces of graphite. This hour could have meant another week of proper in game exploration.

I know editing config is more "believable". Just sharing feedback if you care that your mod isn't screwed up by a simple inability to smelt ore due to graphite is way more rare than gold and platinum and diamonds.

For me this fact sadly killed the game at this stage.

Finding graphite is always a challenge. I've previously spent weeks looking for it in 78. On my current map I absentmindedly pro picked when nearly home from big trip and found extra large deposit right under surface. What is your seed, I can see if I can find any.

Well I didn't get a chance to to a large search, but there is a ton of area with correct rock type in middle layer. Finding graphite in middle layer is a pain. Best suggestion is to search in and around large hills and mountains. The way TFC creates them means the middle layer is closer to surface. Alternatively if you can find an area with the right rock type on top then it obviously makes searching easier. If you are unhappy with the default spawning rate you can adjust it in the configs. To keep your current progress just delete region files where you don't have things you wish to save. Then when they regenerate the new configs will be used.

There is nothing wrong with the spawning. It is suppose to be hard to find. That seed seems to be packed with other resources and in ssp you only need to find one decent pocket of graphite.

I don't "believe" I need to spend months and kilometers of traveling just to make a bucket to melt ores that I've already found tons of.

Welcome to TFC. If you don't like my suggestions then make a new seed, cheat it in or quit. The spawning is working as intended.

Edit: and you can melt lower tier ores in a vessel. You only need graphite to get blast furnace. Before then it is a luxury.

Meh, graphite is kind of a pain to find. If you don't want to spawn it in/change the spawning parameters, you can do the searching in creative mode. That way you still have to search the area, but it's faster. As long as you restrict yourself from any other cheating, that's probably a good compromise.