Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
auricorage

How to build familiarity with animals to allowing breeding??

17 posts in this topic

What is happening Terracrafters :D

I have been trying to breed my animals (cows and pigs mainly) and there is always a "this animal won't let you do that" even after feeding them the correct grain (wheat etc) but no hearts for breeding or familiarity change.

Help please. tips would be appreciated.

It depends on the animal, for cows and pigs you have to feed them grain once a day while sneaking (shift-right-click with grain in the hand) - it will emit a sound if done correctly.

After doing this for some days it should be familiarized enough to allow feeding (without sneaking) and start breeding...

The familiarity indicator is not working right now

The familarity indicator seems to be working in 79.10

From what i can tell:

• Cows/sheeps/pigs/chicken/pheasants and horses needs to be feed grain on 6 consecutive days for the indicator to turn white so you can actually use the animals and so that the familarity won't decay anymore.
    Using 5oz grain per day so 30oz grain are required per animal. 
  • Deer turn white after giving them salt on 4 consecutive days.
  • Bears don't seem to gain familarity by giving them fish atm. (?)

Best method i found is to just set a alarm every 20min while you are smithing or doing some other tasks at your base.

Do that for 2 hours and your animals should be familiar to the breedable;useable point.

Seems like you need to feed a (all empty) baby on 11 consecutive days to max familarity out, however if the mother has maxed familarity, you need to feed a baby just once to max its familarity out. The fathers familarity dosn't matter.

Is there anything to gain by familiarizing deers?

Not really atm, according to the changelog they won't run from the player if famililarized enough but thats it afiak.

Guess you can keep them as pets a bit easier i guess.

any idea how fast it runs out? playing on a server once a day in the evening I'm getting nowhere...

any idea how fast it runs out? playing on a server once a day in the evening I'm getting nowhere...

Unless that has been changed/fixed you need to feed them once every day untill you fill up the familarization enough otherwise their familarity will go down to 0 if you miss a day.

Up to .10 i stopped bothering with animals all together after wasting a bunch of stacks of grain to get like 3 buckets of milk, then i logged off for the night and had to start all over xD 

This is a big issue. What i´ve heard TFC has been created with multiplayer in mind. As the servers clock keeps ticking 24/7, you´ll need to quit your real daytime job and go TFC-junkie in order to get a successful farm. I don´t mind animal husbandry to be a challenge, it really should be. But the current system is to impractical for server gameplay imo.

I would like it if you where able to put a name tag on the animal once their familiar enough, and when the name tag is on, the animal would be permanently domesticated. That way you´ll still get the challenge domesticate them, but once done, you´re set.

edit- this reply might be off for the support forum. But its relevant for the issue so... And there´s no need for a tag if the familiarity wouldn´t decay if maxed out. Simpler solution.

once their familiar enough, and when the name tag is on, the animal would be permanently domesticated

That is how apperently how it works already, you need to reach the whitebordered familarity icon, then the familarity won't go away anymore.

It is kinda tedious to babysit your livestock for some hours, but i guess you only got to do it once, since animals carry familarity over from their mother it'll get easier in the second and following generations.

That is how apperently how it works already, you need to reach the whitebordered familarity icon, then the familarity won't go away anymore.

:0 Didn´t know that! I usually just give up after a while. Thanks, feeling the urge to set up farm again!

going down to 0 if you miss one day is a bit harsh...  :o

It doesn't, its suppose to goes down by a certain amount if you miss feeding. I don't know the exact numbers but it dunk made it sound like you could miss two days or so and the next time you fed them it would be back up to the level when you stopped. There is also a point when they get familiar enough where it wont decrease anymore.

going down to 0 if you miss one day is a bit harsh...  :o

this should have been corrected in version 79.8

I managed to breed horses in 79.10 but my sheep and pigs going back many versions have familiarity but wont breed no matter how much i feed them. I think carrying my world over to 79.10 has glitched out these animals i familiarized before. I should check with some new animals like the horses that i haven't familiarized yet until 79.10.

I think what Chunkhunter is refering to is that if they miss a real time day (as they play on a server that is still running when they aren't playing) that their animals are lossing familiarity. So they are missing feeding their animals for more than 1 or 2 TFC days. I can see how that would be like fighting a losing battle with starting an animal farm.

As i've only been playing TFC in a single player game, i really can't say how that would change/work on a server XD, but that's how i read Chunk's reply

Yes, but as was pointed out, you only need to babysit them for a few hours once. In that time you can get them up to the white border, familiarity won't decrease stage. After that you are fine to leave them for long periods of time and you can still milk/sheer them. It was also pointed out that familiarity is passed from mother to offspring. So I would then suggest getting a few breeding females up to max familiarity and breed only them. After one feed the offspring will be max familiarity as well and you cull out the others. For SMP this is quite nice as someone who is willing to devote some time is able to quickly build up a herd that after the first investment of time needs much less input as they are love you from day one.

A few other observations as well. Assuming you don't miss a day it seems to take 5 days of feeding to get to the white heart for nearly all animals. They will gain the white heart on the next day after the 5th feeding. Each day seem to reduce the familiarity by about a 1/3 or a 1/4 of what you gain from a feeding/interaction. Some animals take an extra day to get to white heart. I haven't tested all animals yet, but Female sheep and male horses take 6 days for feeding. Wolves are confusing. They take the expected 5 days, but I missed a day in one test and they still got white heart for male, but not female. So they gain differently, but I'm not quite sure how it works yet. Probably would have to look at code or NBT data to get the hard number, but I'm pretty sure doing so is frowned upon on this forum.  I have not tested birds or wild animals yet.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0