Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Beardedwombat

Bats!

17 posts in this topic

Alright, so I'm gonna just start with this:Bats are useless! I find that to be very sad. Bats are amazing, and while they add fun to the cave biome, they don't do much else. I see an untapped potential here. I'll list a few ideas and I'm happy to hear some from others. I just feel like no critter should be completely without use, otherwise, why bother?

First of all, lets get this out of the way: Food. While I'm not fond of eating our furry friends, some cultures find bats to be a fairly reliable food source. Maybe making bats drop food, while it'd be a trivial food source at best, wouldn't be a very difficult way to at least make them useful? 

My main idea: While I read that dunkle has no interest in manure, we can bypass that entirely. Making bats drop fertilizer would be an excellent alternative, while adding an alternate source to Fertilizer.

Pets? This idea would probably be the hardest, but making them tameable or something would be an interesting concept. Cats supposedly repel creepers, so maybe bats could have a use too? Dunno.Thoughts and Ideas? These flying little fuzzballs are just too cute to be useless...

Just tested some things, too bad you can't name nor lead them with rope atm, some bat-ballons on a rope would be hillarious :D 

bats are still vanilla from what I understand last time I tested I could oneshot them with a punch. So I guess TFC hasn't done anything with them. 

I would strongly advise against the eating of bats. They carry a host of diseases that while they don't effect the bats, they do have adverse effects on humans. If you want an example of the ailments you can get from bats, just look at Ebola. Bats naturally carry ebola (but are immune), which spread to humans when somebody ate an infected bat.

I would strongly advise against the eating of bats. They carry a host of diseases that while they don't effect the bats, they do have adverse effects on humans. If you want an example of the ailments you can get from bats, just look at Ebola. Bats naturally carry ebola (but are immune), which spread to humans when somebody ate an infected bat.

Just cause its not a good idea doesn't mean it hasn't been sustaining life for centuries. Sure, they CAN carry diseases, but given that Diseases are not a thing in TFC, its hardly relevant. You don't worry about parasites when you bite into that rare wild pig steak...

On topic of eating bats there is a special wikipedia page for. However hunting bats for their meat would be as usefull as hunting squit for calamari.  <_<

The page also speaks about bats being hunted for skin but bat skin would be too small for TFC norms.

And for their guano, the bats shouldn't drop fertilizer. Guano should be generated in caves or something so when we harvest it then it's gone just like with the guano we have.

Then we can convert the guano too fertilizer or use it directly as fertilizer. This might make caves more exciting.

And maybe bats could spawn more often near guano. This doesn't really give bats much more use (maybe bat meat but yeah) but it would make them fit in TFC a lot more.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_(food)%C2'>

This are my thoughts after a bit of research hope it helped

Just cause its not a good idea doesn't mean it hasn't been sustaining life for centuries. Sure, they CAN carry diseases, but given that Diseases are not a thing in TFC, its hardly relevant. You don't worry about parasites when you bite into that rare wild pig steak...

Actually, the fact that there are never any consequences for eating raw food greatly impacts the believability for me. I'd rather see TFC move towards adding diseases than adding bat meat.

Actually, the fact that there are never any consequences for eating raw food greatly impacts the believability for me. I'd rather see TFC move towards adding diseases than adding bat meat.

Take a look at the "Do Not Post the Following Suggestions" this applies also to people who reply to a post I image. 

>

Take a look at the "Do Not Post the Following Suggestions" this applies also to people who reply to a post I image. 

I strongly suggest YOU read the thread before you suggest other people do. Did I suggest:

• An improvement to the propick
  • An NPC
  • Manure (Which guano is rather close to)/digestive system by-products/things that are disgusting in nature
  • A firearm
  • Getting salt from saltwater?

No, I didn't. Diseases in themselves do not violate any of those veto'd suggestions. I now recommend you read http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/15-read-before-posting-suggestion-forum-rules/, which has a lovely statement to the tune of "If what you're saying contributes nothing to the suggestion, don't bother posting"

I personally would love to have a bat as a pet. A long time ago I was on a server that let you capture mobs to keep as pets, and my bat was easily the cutest of them all. Also, the sounds they make are just adorable. You can sorta keep one as a pet now, though, if you can just get it to fly into an enclosure. I'm not really sure they need a use though, since they've always been more of a living decoration, like birds in various modpacks.

Diseases fall under the category of "things that are disgusting in nature"

Edit: Diseases are actually listed explicitly in the post!

Manure

Dunkleosteus has stated that he is not comfortable coding any way shape or form of a feces mechanic for TFC. Please respect his decision and do not suggest topics that may be considered "disgusting" in nature. This includes but is not limited to: feces, urine, genitalia, graphic diseases.  

"graphic diseases", which doesn't explicitly mean diseases in general. The common cold is a disease, which is not graphic. If you meant diseases in general, then I apologise for the misunderstanding.

Except that you didn't suggest the common cold, because you don't get the common cold from eating bat meat. The disease in question here was ebola, which is very graphic.

I suggested diseases in general, not any specific disease. I said that eating bats was a bad idea, because they carry diseases like ebola. I then suggested diseases in general. I obviously wouldn't suggest adding ebola to the game, as that would be both disguisting and rather insensitive to the current crisis :|

Well after looking things up in the morning I must say your absolutly right even wikipedia states that guano belongs under manure. I was only thinking of guano as this great resourse that where many cultures made use from and thought that is we made it a not renewable resourse that it would be ok. I must say I was getting ahead of myself.  :wacko:

Also I learn english by reading in many contexts, manure is a word that I don't see often so I asumed it to have a bit of a different meaning than it had.

So I want to appologize for my misunderstanding. (I still like the idea of guano but I can now totally see why it would not be a good idea)

As for disease anything much further then a cold would propably be too much though a cold itself would be nice since there already is a heatstroke but things like a cold propably need a post on it's own if there isn't one already.

But now lets continue brainstorming for a function of bats  :D

cats in vanilla scare creepers. Maybe bats in TFC can repel something too. If I gave players some sort of bat box to attract them, it's possible that having them fly around your home might help repel certain types of monsters from approaching you.

Just a thought, because being a dev doesn't mean I can't have those too :P

Another thing that bats might be useful for (probably in vanilla, because I believe this is currently impossible in TFC) is as invisibility detectors, because echolocation should be immune to invisibility.

Bats mostly eat insects, fruits or nectar, and because insects aren't a problem and pollination is assumed to be automatic, they aren't very useful for this. Some bats may eat small rodents, and rodents are certainly a problem for farmers but the volume is probably too low to count for anything.

Apparently, it's possible to use guano in place of saltpeter in gunpowder, so maybe you could grind guano into saltpeter? Not sure