Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Food don't matter

33 posts in this topic

So back when I was starting the game I remember a salad of 20oz was enough for 1 day.

This days, being an expert cook and making an amazing sandwich with all 5 types of nutrition, and 3 perfect tastes and the 4th being (+-5),

still requires me to eat 2 of them each day..

So why did I even bother?

And another thing is it should matter if you are sitting around doing nothing or running around, you can't consume the same at both.. you will get fat ;)

I'd like to refer you to http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/7045-less-thirst-and-hunger-decrease-while-idling/ in regards to your second argument.

To the first argument: I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying it's too much effort to make 2 sandwiches per day? Or do you mean that the time it takes to gather all the food is too strongly countered by the rate at which you consume it? Because making sandwiches takes like 20 seconds, and my tiny little farm produces so much food that I still have the stuff from last autumn in my celar and it's now the end of the 2nd winter.

Also, do you only eat one sandwich per day? That's pretty impressive. I eat a sandwich and a couple hours later I'm hungry again.

I'd like to refer you to http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/7045-less-thirst-and-hunger-decrease-while-idling/ in regards to your second argument.

To the first argument: I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying it's too much effort to make 2 sandwiches per day? Or do you mean that the time it takes to gather all the food is too strongly countered by the rate at which you consume it? Because making sandwiches takes like 20 seconds, and my tiny little farm produces so much food that I still have the stuff from last autumn in my celar and it's now the end of the 2nd winter.

Also, do you only eat one sandwich per day? That's pretty impressive. I eat a sandwich and a couple hours later I'm hungry again.

No, like I said when I was a bad cook I ate 20oz a day of bad low nutrition food, now I eat 20oz a day of a very high nutrition food, so why care about nutrition in the first place if it does not reduce your need for food?

As I understand it, the better the match to your taste profile, the greater saturation you get from it. Greater saturation increasing the time you until you get hungry again. Not sure why you're eating the same amount these days, although the nutrition mechanics have changed quite a bit recently. It could just be that 20 oz per day is the new level an expect chef needs, and that lower ranked shefs are eating more.

From Changelog

• [*]Redesigned the way that taste interacts with nutrition and how satisfaction affects the player. Taste no longer directly affects the nutrition gained from eating a meal. Instead, it affects only the satisfaction gained, with more satisfaction being added the closer that the meal's taste is to the players preferences. When the player is satisfied, they will gain residual nutrition based upon the player's current nutritional levels with more nutrition gained when the player is malnourished than if he isn't.

So yes it is worth raising the level of cooking and eating the best food as you will be able to more easily maintain your nutrition levels, especially in a situation when food is scarce.

s

From Changelog

• [*]Redesigned the way that taste interacts with nutrition and how satisfaction affects the player. Taste no longer directly affects the nutrition gained from eating a meal. Instead, it affects only the satisfaction gained, with more satisfaction being added the closer that the meal's taste is to the players preferences. When the player is satisfied, they will gain residual nutrition based upon the player's current nutritional levels with more nutrition gained when the player is malnourished than if he isn't.

So yes it is worth raising the level of cooking and eating the best food as you will be able to more easily maintain your nutrition levels, especially in a situation when food is scarce.

Sounds interesting, but I am yet to feel the difference, 20oz is the same it always was. Gonna keep playing and see.

I also feel that they will try to rebalance how food worked in .79.0 and reimplement it back in making the skills more important again. Cooking was alot more interesting and important in .79.0.

I still live on individual cooked pieces of meat, and uncooked vegetables and grain. Hunger saturation is not terrible and i can keep my nutrient levels up just by eating a piece of meat, then a piece of vegetable, etc. If cooking were to be really important, eating individual pieces of (uncooked) food should ideally adversely affect the player. 

Sounds interesting, but I am yet to feel the difference, 20oz is the same it always was. Gonna keep playing and see.

I believe by "nutrition", it was being referred to the "nutritional values" (ie: Protein, Vegetables, Fruit, Grain, Dairy) - a good chef would make food which is very good at recovering these values - and thus, your Maximum Health should stay at it's maximum.

I personally struggled to keep my nutrition levels normal before I found out about salads and sandwiches. Having a much easier time with it now.. if only I could find a cow so I could actually get dairy, though. :T

I had a much longer winter voyage than I intended. Broken boat no trees for great distance and ocean between me and home. Starved while I swam and ended up with nutrition values of about 30% in all categories. Eating best food resulted in getting up to full nutrition very quickly.

As the current configuration is much different than was originally implimented I would bet on a good amount of changes. But as it is I find eating best food quite benificial and in long run being able to limit the food types I need makes management easier. The nutrition bonuses would be especially helpful in hardcore and PVP worlds as you need to max health as much and as quickly as possible.

Minecraft is all about mining right?

--> Good meals make you mine faster.

*permanent mining speed bonus as long as ALL your nutriments are 90% maxed up.

perfect meal for you player = cool !

If you truly are eating about 20oz a day as a master chef, then there really doesn't seem to be a saturation difference. The furthest I've gotten in build 79 is Bronze Age with meals still being individual items. I haven't even gotten to a point where all five food groups are taken into account(I don't have a cow yet). I eat about 25-35oz a day. Though, the mining speed and health benefits seem worth it.

Another thing is that (accidental) deaths resets the nutrients levels. So dying may be even preferable in some cases.

In my opinion, nutrients levels must be kept where they were before death and new player (when you start a game) should start at maybe 20% to all nutriments with low life.

*feeling of levelling up

In my opinion, nutrients levels must be kept where they were before death and new player (when you start a game) should start at maybe 20% to all nutriments with low life.

*feeling of levelling up

The primary problem with not resetting nutrients when a player dies is that it is extremely difficult to get nutrients back up to a desirable level in the first place. If they don't reset on death, players are just going to be stuck in an endless loop of starvation-caused deaths because their health is always so low.

You could always set a minimum health.

I don't know your numbers, but lets say a skeleton attack does 65 damage

The mininum health of a player should be above the ranged attack enemies (it is unfair to be constantly one-shotted by skeletons), so maybe mininum health of 100 if skeletons do 65 damage

The primary problem with not resetting nutrients when a player dies is that it is extremely difficult to get nutrients back up to a desirable level in the first place. If they don't reset on death, players are just going to be stuck in an endless loop of starvation-caused deaths because their health is always so low.

Not necessary. Vegetables are pretty abondant you know. One nutrient maxed up bring you enough life to survive.

vegetables -> fruits -> protein -> bread (quern)-> milk (happy cow)

The problem is: actually seeking for all nutrients is not rewarding, when such a long-time hardy task should bring a big positive impact on player's productivity to encourage him to CONTINUE.

Core skill to progress in TFC = mining.

Not necessary. Vegetables are pretty abondant you know. One nutrient maxed up bring you enough life to survive.

vegetables -> fruits -> protein -> bread (quern)-> milk (happy cow)

The problem is: actually seeking for all nutrients is not rewarding, when such a long-time hardy task should bring a big positive impact on player's productivity to encourage him to CONTINUE.

Core skill to progress in TFC = mining.

Not if you died in the middle of winter, and are playing on a server where that abundance of food isn't nearly as high because you have more players eating it.

yeah, I admit I only play single player.

If there are too many players in a area for the food supply to sustain them, the sensical choice is to move and find food elsewhere

Your concept of TFC is balanced for multiplayer arguments typically ommitt the fact that more players mean that more ground can be covered in the same amount of time

And its probably true >90 % of servers play with spawn protection on. So surviving isn't really a issue even if you need to go out by yourself to find food.

If there are too many players in a area for the food supply to sustain them, the sensical choice is to move and find food elsewhere

Your concept of TFC is balanced for multiplayer arguments typically ommitt the fact that more players mean that more ground can be covered in the same amount of time

While that is true, in my experience that is a fact that many players actually don't utilize. More often than not, I see a group of people on a server all sticking together and covering the same amount of ground that a single player would. The idea of splitting up and going out to explore individually usually doesn't happen from what I've seen until all of the players in the group have gotten a bit more established.

Look at the subject like support beams

Would people use support beams if cave-ins didn't occur? Very few would for immersion reasons, but the rest wouldn't

So you have cave-ins which force people to adapt

Its the same here. People don't spread out because they don't have to spread out. If they had to, they would

You would probably see more hunting parties form. There would be a adjustment period, but people would learn

I play on single player and I'm satisfied with the way hunger works.  I keep my character well-fed on sandwiches.  There have been stretches of time where I was in situations where there was little to no available food.  For example; I went exploring, I was looking for fruit trees.  When I left my nutrition levels were full.  I spent just over a year wandering.  There were some lands I passed through which were abundant with food but I still couldn't prepare sandwiches so my nutrition suffered a little.  My journey reached an all time low when I happened upon a continent at the beginning of winter which had no trees.  There were no fruits, no vegetables, no grains, no domesticated cattle for dairy, and the animals I did find to slaughter, I couldn't cook because the land was barren... no trees.  It was harrowing and I nearly starved.

Now I know to carry a stack of wood with me when traveling to unknown lands.

If you're going to play like a number cruncher and let your health deteriorate, that's your business.  But demanding the game mechanics be changed so that you are forced by steeper penalties to keep your character fed is silly.  I like having upwards of 1K health, I keep my character fed.  You feel you can get by on 200 health.  Okay.

There will always be number crunchers and there will be the more immersive folk.  It isn't fair to the latter group if the rules are designed in such a way so as to twist the first group's proverbial arm to play the way they "should."  Just play the way you want to play.  Don't eat.

Shiphty, the topic of the thread had more or less changed to the issue about how death resets nuitrition

Death resetting nuitrition encourages suicide.

Kitty is arguing that if death doesn't reset nuitrition, death spirals will result

I'm arguing that you could always recover given a mininum health is above skeleton damage. Especially since if you have spawn protection on, the likelyhood of facing a skeleton isn't too likely unless one spawns in your spawn area if you know what you are doing

The penalty for death in TFC is health loss. Which works for players with high nuitrition and levels

There is no penalty for the system if you just don't eat and suicide to get your nuitrition penalties reset. Its a exploit that players without levels can use to speed up tech progression (you are saving the time you would be using for food gathering/processing)

Obviously you should still be allowed to gain levels and have high nuitrition. This is actually what death penalties are trying to encourage

Of course alternate penalties could be implemented such as skill point penalties upon death

It could also be changed so its easier to go from low nuitrition to medium nuitrition than it is medium to high nuitrition to make "getting out of the hole" easier

Is there a way to tell what the satisfaction level of a food item is, other than eating it and manually timing how fast hunger decays?