Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Food don't matter

33 posts in this topic

Is there a way to tell what the satisfaction level of a food item is, other than eating it and manually timing how fast hunger decays?

once your cooking is up to expert you will see how much like like the food when viewing the tastes of the food.

Instead of showing "very salty", it will show "very salty (+-XX)" where the XX is the distance from your more favorable taste.

Shiphty, the topic of the thread had more or less changed to the issue about how death resets nuitrition

Death resetting nuitrition encourages suicide.

Kitty is arguing that if death doesn't reset nuitrition, death spirals will result

I'm arguing that you could always recover given a mininum health is above skeleton damage. Especially since if you have spawn protection on, the likelyhood of facing a skeleton isn't too likely unless one spawns in your spawn area if you know what you are doing

The penalty for death in TFC is health loss. Which works for players with high nuitrition and levels

There is no penalty for the system if you just don't eat and suicide to get your nuitrition penalties reset. Its a exploit that players without levels can use to speed up tech progression (you are saving the time you would be using for food gathering/processing)

Obviously you should still be allowed to gain levels and have high nuitrition. This is actually what death penalties are trying to encourage

Of course alternate penalties could be implemented such as skill point penalties upon death

It could also be changed so its easier to go from low nuitrition to medium nuitrition than it is medium to high nuitrition to make "getting out of the hole" easier

I think my point addresses this.  In general, you're going to have folks who number crunch and exploit to the expense of their own game-play immersion.  This is a simple fact.  If you attempt to create steeper penalties to "keep these guys in line" you're going to do so to the hurt of the folks who don't play that way.  I'm very glad I don't lose skill levels when I die.  I don't think losing skill levels would add to my game play in the slightest but actually, since it takes a while to level your skills up, would take away from my experience.  I'm against this sort of thing in general.  If you cater the game mechanics to keep the number crunchers in line you will end up affecting the other types of players adversely.

Also, Kitty addressed this subject in the post "Some Observations of How People Play" by saying:

"I have made a change for the next version regarding hunger penalties solely because there was enough complaining about it on the forums. Just how when the thirst bar reaches less than 25% a slowness debuff is applied to players (which makes sense since sprinting reduces thirst), in the next build having a hunger bar less than 25% will result in a mining fatigue and weakness debuff (based on the idea that using tools depletes hunger faster). Hopefully this won't step too much on those who don't exploit the rules, and the slightly annoying potion particle effects in your face will be a nice reminder that it's time to eat. The debuffs applied for hunger don't go quite as far for those of thirst (0% thirst disables all sprinting). Regardless of if your hunger is at 24%, or at 0%, it will simply be a Mining Fatigue II and Weakness II potion effect, which in my opinion was enough to be slightly annoying, but something that doesn't completely halt gameplay until you either die or eat. The faster nutrition drain for 0% hunger is still in place as well.

There are no plans to "fix" the suicide issue."

So rehashing it is kinda beating a dead horse.  (Sorry, I don't know how to properly quote from one post onto another.)

And may I add that this solution is a pretty satisfactory one from where I stand, it doesn't punish players like me any more than the consequences we currently suffer when we die but it does create incentive for the number crunchers to keep their characters fed.

once your cooking is up to expert you will see how much like like the food when viewing the tastes of the food.

Instead of showing "very salty", it will show "very salty (+-XX)" where the XX is the distance from your more favorable taste.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Also, Kitty addressed this subject in the post "Some Observations of How People Play" by saying:

"I have made a change for the next version regarding hunger penalties solely because there was enough complaining about it on the forums. Just how when the thirst bar reaches less than 25% a slowness debuff is applied to players (which makes sense since sprinting reduces thirst), in the next build having a hunger bar less than 25% will result in a mining fatigue and weakness debuff (based on the idea that using tools depletes hunger faster). Hopefully this won't step too much on those who don't exploit the rules, and the slightly annoying potion particle effects in your face will be a nice reminder that it's time to eat. The debuffs applied for hunger don't go quite as far for those of thirst (0% thirst disables all sprinting). Regardless of if your hunger is at 24%, or at 0%, it will simply be a Mining Fatigue II and Weakness II potion effect, which in my opinion was enough to be slightly annoying, but something that doesn't completely halt gameplay until you either die or eat. The faster nutrition drain for 0% hunger is still in place as well.

I like this idea :)

Kitty's change is a really good idea from a gameplay standpoint

It however affects people actually playing the game correctly. The change doesn't affect the issue in this thread much at all.  The only change for suiciders is to make suiciders have to committ suicide twice as much. And since they invariably have a bed nearby when they do this, its a minor inconvienence at best

She did however say there are no plans to fix the suicide issue

Basically they are going to ignore the fact that people can do this exploit. Which is most certaintly a valid choice. It just sounds like a terrible idea to people that believe game designers/modders should eliminate exploits from thier games.

Not if you died in the middle of winter, and are playing on a server where that abundance of food isn't nearly as high because you have more players eating it.

Well, that is all the benefit of an well organized community.

Player must organize his food supply for his mate (multiplayer) or his self (single player) to pass through the period of the year when food is no more abundant (Winter). 

*Summer + Autumn season to plant & harvest and seek enough food for your community seem a fair good enough of time to supply.