Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Teagan75

Thatch as of Build 79

31 posts in this topic

Hi :) 

First of all a huge THANKS for this mod. I have been playing with this mod for close to 2 years now. I thank all of you for your time and effort into making this mod very good. Also a HUGE thank you to the addon makers as well :)

As of build 79, thatch is now useless as a roof material because it allows spiders to crawl up the walls and come into the house defeating the purpose of having a secure home. I want you to know that I completely understand that you didn't want it to be an extremely easy housing material. With that said, Native Americans and tribes in Africa do have thatch houses. However, I have never seen a thatch house or roof without a wooden frame first. You could make it so we have to construct a wooden stick frame and with straw in our hand right click to fill in the wooden frame. I see two benefits with this: 1. Its not simple to make a thatch house anymore and is more believable 2. It is a solid block again and offers protection. It should also be able to be destroyed by hand and without tools. Another benefit :)

If that is too much to change you could just make it so that a torch or campfire within a certain amount of blocks would catch fire and burn down very quickly.

Either way would be acceptable but I prefer the first suggestion. I play the game 7 Days to Die and they have a similar wood frame that you right click with a tool to fill in with materials in your inventory and it works beautifully.

I don't think the role of thatch is going to be changed back. The best result we got was that we can at least place thatch on the ground again. You will have to adapt your play-style. 

A rather easy fix would be to place some lumber under the thatch to make neat wooden rafters & spiderproofing them at the same time :)

A rather easy fix would be to place some lumber under the thatch to make neat wooden rafters & spiderproofing them at the same time :)

This is what ive done and it does look good, but untill you get a saw you might as well have a log roof. Unfortunately thatch is kind of useless except for straw storage.

This really only applies to spiders, or to other mobs if you accidentally leave ways for them to climb over your walls (leaving logpiles next to your walls, etc.).

Once the fantasy monsters are moved underground, thatch as is should be fine for roofs, so no changes are needed. Until then, use logs during the stone age.

This is a way you can make cheap thatch-log roofs:

Posted Image

This is save as long no mobs get on your roof

The real question is, why use thatch as building material at all?

It's decorative. It blocks light and prevents you from being snow/rained on. But as a roofing material... It's not very useful against spiders.

What thatch has become to me is a cheap window-holder and a way to store cut grass for pottery. :/ The only reason to put thatch atop an already wood roof is for decoration....unless thatch later comes in handy as insulation, somehow. :o

I do see the problem with thatch as a miracle building block though. I'm just saying I rarely use it at all now.

The argument that I should put logs up first then the thatch as decoration defeats the supposed purpose of thatch being a cheap roofing material. it fails as a roof and is useless except for burning. Why would I waste my time in the crucial beginning to use thatch as decoration? I will wait for more effective roofing before being decorative.

The argument that I should put logs up first then the thatch as decoration defeats the supposed purpose of thatch being a cheap roofing material. it fails as a roof and is useless except for burning. Why would I waste my time in the crucial beginning to use thatch as decoration? I will wait for more effective roofing before being decorative.

Thatch is a perfectly valid roofing material in that it blocks rain from putting out your initial fire pit. If you build a structure that mobs cannot climb, a thatch roof will have no issues with mobs falling in. Also keep in mind that spiders are 2 blocks wide, so using logs as rafters every other block will also stop spiders from coming in. Or you can just put a non-thatch overhang on your roof, and spiders won't be able to get up on it anyways.

Ok I see that thatch has become more decorative than functional as a starter roof. By the time I have a tall enough house for spiders not to crawl in I won't want the thatch as a roof. Oh well.

I find thatch makes a perfectly fine roofing as long as you don't bring spiders over to your house

I usually just use logs to create crossbeams that the spiders can't get through. It also serves as a really basic farm because you can attract a couple of spiders and you can hit them from below.

I find thatch makes a perfectly fine roofing as long as you don't bring spiders over to your house

I thought that too but even when I get into the house way before dark and stay there without moving (idle) the spiders know I am there and come in. I personally won't use thatch as a roof. If I am going to take the time to make beams I will just fill in the rest with logs. Decoration is not what I am focused on in the first few hours of gaming. i will adapt to the new thatch but all I am saying is I won't use it except to burn.

I added Carpenter's blocks to my personal pack and used Minetweaker to adjust the recipes to use TFC items. Thatch unfortunately isn't compatible with Carpenter's blocks as a cover but Vanilla Hay is. I used Minetweaker to create a Hay recipe using straw which I can use to cover the Carpenter's blocks and make a "thatch" looking roof.Below is the Minetweaker code necessary to make the script. Use a note program to create the script. Save the file as <insert any name>.zs. It should be put in the scripts directory once created by Minetweaker. 

recipes.remove(<minecraft:hay_block>);recipes.addShaped(<minecraft:hay_block>, [[<terrafirmacraft:item.Straw>, <terrafirmacraft:item.Straw>, <terrafirmacraft:item.Straw>], [<terrafirmacraft:item.Straw>, <terrafirmacraft:item.Straw>, <terrafirmacraft:item.Straw>]]);recipes.remove(<CarpentersBlocks:blockCarpentersBlock>);recipes.addShaped(<CarpentersBlocks:blockCarpentersBlock>*5, [[<terrafirmacraft:item.stick>, <terrafirmacraft:item.stick>, <terrafirmacraft:item.stick>], [<terrafirmacraft:item.stick>, <terrafirmacraft:item.SinglePlank:*>, <terrafirmacraft:item.stick>], [<terrafirmacraft:item.stick>, <terrafirmacraft:item.stick>, <terrafirmacraft:item.stick>]]);recipes.remove(<CarpentersBlocks:itemCarpentersChisel>);recipes.addShaped(<CarpentersBlocks:itemCarpentersChisel>, [[<terrafirmacraft:item.Copper Ingot>, null, null], [<CarpentersBlocks:blockCarpentersBlock>, null, null]]);recipes.addShaped(<CarpentersBlocks:itemCarpentersChisel>, [[<terrafirmacraft:item.Tin Ingot>, null, null], [<CarpentersBlocks:blockCarpentersBlock>, null, null]]);recipes.addShaped(<CarpentersBlocks:itemCarpentersChisel>, [[<terrafirmacraft:item.Zinc Ingot>, null, null], [<CarpentersBlocks:blockCarpentersBlock>, null, null]]);recipes.remove(<CarpentersBlocks:itemCarpentersHammer>);recipes.addShaped(<CarpentersBlocks:itemCarpentersHammer>, [[<terrafirmacraft:item.Copper Ingot>, <terrafirmacraft:item.Copper Ingot>, null], [<CarpentersBlocks:blockCarpentersBlock>, null, null]]);recipes.addShaped(<CarpentersBlocks:itemCarpentersHammer>, [[<terrafirmacraft:item.Tin Ingot>, <terrafirmacraft:item.Tin Ingot>, null], [<CarpentersBlocks:blockCarpentersBlock>, null, null]]);recipes.addShaped(<CarpentersBlocks:itemCarpentersHammer>, [[<terrafirmacraft:item.Zinc Ingot>, <terrafirmacraft:item.Zinc Ingot>, null], [<CarpentersBlocks:blockCarpentersBlock>, null, null]]);

I see the purpose behind this update for thatch but I don’t agree with it. If it’s for the sake of believability, it really doesn’t make sense. If you really wanted to go through thatch, it will fall apart. Thatch is also a solid roofing, regardless if it’s fragile. Roofs are not only intended to keep rain out, but also pests such as spiders. Allowing us to go through it will make us resort to other roofs and thatch will no longer be used for buildings. That is a shame because it’s a very atheistically appealing roof.

As has been said many times before, you are more then welcome to put thatch on top of logs. Besides, thatch roofs have wooden frames for stability.

As kitty stated above, thatch is perfectly valid for its intended purpose. If you properly spider proof your house, there will never be spiders on your roof to fall though the thatch. Has everyone seriously forgotten that a small lip prevents spiders from getting on your roof? Thatch will never return to its former implementation. Believeability has nothing to do with it. Thatch was a wonder block that defeated the purpose of all the changes made to dirt etc. 

I like placing lumber along the roof about 1m spacing and place thatch on that. Stops spiders, and looks visually appealing (and fairly realistic)

Requiring us to use wood along with thatch kind of defeats the whole purpose of even using it. The only difference between thatch and a log roofing is that thatch is easier to break but it lacks the security which is crucial in this game. Even as we speak I had a mob go through my roof so now I’m rebuilding it out of logs. Sure thatch is good as a form of storage and for aesthetic purposes, but it’s not a very effective roof at all. I rather use that extra straw for kiln pits.

As kitty stated above, thatch is perfectly valid for its intended purpose. If you properly spider proof your house, there will never be spiders on your roof to fall though the thatch. Has everyone seriously forgotten that a small lip prevents spiders from getting on your roof? Thatch will never return to its former implementation. Believeability Realism has nothing to do with it. Thatch was a wonder block that defeated the purpose of all the changes made to dirt etc. 

I like the change.

I can remember having players on my build 76 server that made all of their buildings out of thatch and clay blocks never even trying to get beyond it to something better. It was the ugliest shit I'd ever seen and of course they were gone within a couple of weeks claiming things were "too hard" or there was nothing to do.

I like the new change, thatch is still useful, I use a beam roof covered with thatch, the thatch keeping the rain out, the beams the spiders out. Last time I was on, I shot a spider that had climbed up onto my roof from inside my house. The new thatch can also be useful in making traps for mobs. I would still suggest that thatch slows movement though, like leaves and such

Thatch already slows movement at the same rate that leaves do. It just isn't that noticeable because just like with leaves, the change isn't very large.

I was thinking while looking at my 3-double chests of sticks (and counting) that it would be great if they had more than 2 uses. I love the changes made to thatch and was wondering if 8 sticks surrounding a jute fiber could make a replacement roofing block that's firm enough to walk on. The hundreds of sticks and piles of jute required for this isn't something that players would get a their hands on until later on so the early game magic block balance is not an issue. In fact, the earliest you could get one would be several months into a new game when the wild jute reaches maturity. Another option for attractive roofing is something I think people would like.

(remove the jute entirely and have the blocks be non-solid too if needed, I still think it would be nice and people would love a way to use all their sticks)

I was thinking while looking at my 3-double chests of sticks (and counting) that it would be great if they had more than 2 uses.

This is based entirely on your play style. There are a great many more than 2 uses for sticks.

Yeah, I pretty much have the same problem. Just looking at the wiki page shows all the different things that sticks are used for:

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Stick#Usage

• Handles
  • Firestarters
  • Levers
  • Torches
  • Signs
  • Ladders
  • Item Frames
  • Paintings
  • Bows
  • Fishing Rods
  • Rails
  • Handstone
  • Firepits

Back when sticks were used to make fences and gates, I'd also quickly run out of them just trying to make animal pens or a gate around my farm. I'm still a big fan of decorating my home with paintings and item frames, labeling everything with signs, and I like to always have at least a stack of torches on me. Fishing is a primary source of protein starting out for me as well.

Edit: Looking back on one of my really old server tour videos.. you can actually see me stealing sticks from my neighbors as I show off their builds.. solely because I keep running out.

More uses for sticks has been discussed a lot in the past, and the key counter-argument is that your excess of sticks is entirely based on your playstyle. I myself, even after having an established home and a large tree farm, am actually constantly running out of sticks. Here's a list of all the things that I use sticks for, that actually eats them up quite quickly:

• Tool Handles - For things like hammers, knives, hoes for tilling a large farm, spindles for wool, and even shovels if I don't have a metal one already made, I usually make a bunch of stone tools over making a single metal one.
  • Fire Starters - We usually keep a double chest of firestarters next to the forge, and next to our charcoal pit area, mainly because we haven't gotten to wrought iron yet to make a flint & steel.
  • Bow & Arrows - The bow is my weapon of choice with the exception of a mace for skeletons. A lot of times I don't bother going to pick up the arrows if the mobs are far away, because its so cheap to just make more.
  • Signs - I label everything! Especially on a private multiplayer server.. I have to have a sign on just about all the things in order to keep some sort of organization when playing with messy boys.
  • Ladders - Every time I come across a new stone layer, I dig straight down to do a core sample to see what stone type is in all three layers. This comes in handy later when searching for specific ores, or a specific rock to build with. On average it usually takes a stack and a half (64+32) ladders in order to get all the way down to the bottom layer.. Thats 224 sticks, or 3.5 stacks of sticks.. just for a single tunnel down (Please double check my math).
  • Item Frames - Once we have a good leather supply going, I usually switch out my signs with item frames in the storage room.
  • Paintings - Because I like pretty pictures on the walls of my massive house.
  • Fishing Rods - For those rare cases when we screwed up somehow, and food is tight.
  • Torches - Light up all the things! I keep at least a vessel full of torches (4 stacks) with me when exploring, mainly for if I come across a cave.
  • Firepits - A quick and cheap way to heat up my meals when I'm out exploring
  • Rails - We haven't progressed this far yet, but eventually there will be a lot of rails going back and forth to the mines and such.

Every established player on the server has the same excess. Perhaps it is your play style that is not the norm. I'm curious to see what the results of a "too many sticks" poll would be.

EDIT: Of all the uses you listed the only ones that consistently use any significant amount of sticks are torches and ladders. Everything else put together would be less than these two combined. 

64 levers and 64 item frames should last almost forever, rails use basically nothing, tools you make rarely once you get past stone, paintings are not used by the hundreds, fishing rods last almost forever, fire pits take next to nothing, flint and steel replaces fire starters and even then 2 sticks is nothing, unless you need a thousand signs I don't see why 128 shouldn't last a long time, bows are negligible, arrows are incredible stick-cheap to craft... honestly I don't see how you run out.

Unless you build exclusively with stone and your idea of a big tree farm is woefully small... I can't get on board with this.