Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
NikkyD

[Solved] Rare but reproducable crash/freeze when creating new chunks

8 posts in this topic

Version #: [1.7.10]TerraFirmaCraft-0.79.9.357

SSP/SMP (Single/MultiPlayer): single

Suggested Category: Severe

Have you deleted your config files and are still able to reproduce this bug?: Yes

Do you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed?: Yes, MapWriter (but also happens when started without)

Happens with recommended and latest forge, happens with Java settings from 1G to 3G.

Description:

Ingame i explore the world and i hit a certain area. I probe the ground with the propick every 10 blocks, walking into the undiscovered, and suddenly there is no more message.

From that moment on, the internal server seems to hang. The client still works, but eating drinking or interacting with the world shows no effect.

If i kill the game immediately and restart i spawn a bit before it happended. So while the server hangs i can run around all i want, doesnt change a thing (why should it).

If i wait, then after some time everything becomes sluggish and the blockentity cputime goes up and up.

After a minute or so, crash.

only server crash txt is created, no client.

Relevant Stacktrace (i have 3, same issue all the time)

Description: Exception getting block type in world

java.lang.StackOverflowError: Exception getting block type in world
  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.checkPackageAccess(Unknown Source)
 at net.minecraft.world.World.func_147439_a(World.java:347)
 at com.bioxx.tfc.WorldGen.Generators.Trees.WorldGenPineTall.func_76484_a(WorldGenPineTall.java:58)
 at com.bioxx.tfc.WorldGen.Generators.WorldGenForests.generateForest(WorldGenForests.java:126)
 at com.bioxx.tfc.WorldGen.Generators.WorldGenForests.generate(WorldGenForests.java:60)
 at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.generateWorld(GameRegistry.java:106)

It's always "block = world.getBlock(x, y, z);" in different tree classes causing the exception. Possibly a parameter that is outside specs (couldnt find minecraft source)

Now my world is somewhat explored, about 4k north and east, 10k south but only 500 to the west. The issue happens at 2 different locations in the west!

My house is at about x26100 z-9900. The 2 areas where i have this bug are both somewhere at x25600 but one at about z-9k and one at z-7k and it always small islands with lots of water chunks to be generated. Maybe there is a biome to the west that causes invalid forest generation or sth like that.

Again, i can reproduce this! I load the game, walk about 50 blocks into the "wrong" direction and the propick stops showing messages and the server hangs. 2 Different spots in the world.

Additional observation:

If i walk until it happens, walk about 30 blocks more and wait there until it crashes, the savegame now has this location as spawn, so at some point it is updating but imho it hits a heap barrier.

Already been to the highest mountains and deepest forests, amount of entities is not the issue.

General computer performance, is also not an issue.

I dont think the full stacktraces (each 360 kb) are helpful, but if you really want to see them, just tell me.

If you could provide the server crash reports, it would be appreciated. Also, you stated that you are using "recommended and latest forge," could you please be more specific and provide the actual version numbers? Are you using the version of forge that is "recommended" by forge, or the one "recommended" by TFC as stated on our downloads page (10.13.1.1217)?

World seed and coordinates would also be helpful if you can reproduce this using a duplicate of the save. If you cannot, a copy of the world download would be very helpful.

Forge 1.7.10 - 10.13.1.1217Forge 1.7.10 - 10.13.2.1230http://nikkyd.de/tfc/crash-2014-11-01_17.42.15-server.txthttp://nikkyd.de/tfc/crash-2014-11-01_17.56.14-server.txthttp://nikkyd.de/tfc/crash-2014-11-01_18.05.20-server.txtseed: -291621335819898294(walking south/west, west)x: 25647z: -7604

I will try a new world with same seed and try to get to the spot, bit of travel when starting fresh.

savegame is 700 MB and my upload is slow as hell, as a last resort i could up it over night.

Started up a world with that seed, and tried teleporting myself there. Everything froze so I had to force close. Started up a new world with the seed again, and this time flew over there, and as soon as I got within 600 blocks of the coords you provided, the memory usage went through the roof and it did eventually crash.

I've let Bioxx know and we'll try to make sure it is fixed for the next version.

So that was really weird, and the change I made for the next version should have fixed it... but I honestly have no idea why the change fixed it.

Just took a look at your commit, what do you think caused it ? Algorhythm didnt find any block to place the leaves ?

Just took a look at your commit, what do you think caused it ? Algorhythm didnt find any block to place the leaves ?

So the Stack Overflow was caused by basically runaway chunk generation. The tree couldn't find a place to grow leaves, so it checked the next block over... rinse repeat until it's loading random strips of chunks indefinitely, until it runs out of memory and crashes.