Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
akbalox

Metal bits, cutting ingots for alloy managing

6 posts in this topic

Well, simple stuff, I want to cut ingots into pieces,

you work an ingot with a higher tier knife (needs to be higher, not so easy to cut ingots, but I feel it don't really needs to be hot)

you just use the plan interface to select the desired size from 10un to 90un

work in the anvil, the the two items pop out of the anvil (the 2 pieces of the ingot, as a lets say, [selected piece-20un + 80un-rest of the ingot] metal bits)

the back side of this would be creating 9 more items for each metal, can be something like molds that are not full, but looks harder to code

probably messing with game balance for making possible to do small amounts of steel, but maybe not much, as you need a higher tier knife to do so...

as is, you can only do weak colored steel by 10,20 or more ingots at once, it's kinda hard, that would change, it's the bright side!

so, as a side effect it would satisfy some people desire for coins in a way...

I won't go into my usual tirade about how you're turning 21 items into 210, which would be a pain if you're planning to have different graphics for them all, and instead examine the logistics of your idea.

You want to cut a metal bar with a knife.

Have you ever tried cutting sheet metal? By hand, that is, not with something nice like electric shears. First of all, you don't use a knife, but use tin snips. You will never cut through a metal bar with just a knife and the power of your muscles. TIn snips are similar in shape to shears and scissors. Cutting a 1mm sheet of stainless steel is already a huge task with tin snips. Now, we don't have an official size for ingots, but since you can stack them 8 high in 1 blocks, 100cm/8 ingots = 12.5cm, or 125mm. So, imagine the effort of cutting 1mm of steel with tin snips, multiplied by 125. Never gonna happen.

Also, these forum threads might interest you:

Arguements for half bars

Metal nuggets/coins

Money

Probably the sabe way you bend and hit the stuff you say it's too hard to cut with a knife with your muscles into some functional tools...

it's just a step, anyway, I am suggesting a knife, I feel It still can have some more uses, I can't be bothered with a ingot cutting tool

Note that when we smith ingots, they are at a workable temperature. Also, bending takes a lot less force that breaking.

Probably the sabe way you bend and hit the stuff you say it's too hard to cut with a knife with your muscles into some functional tools...

it's just a step, anyway, I am suggesting a knife, I feel It still can have some more uses, I can't be bothered with a ingot cutting tool

An "ingot cutting tool" is called a chisel. If it were possible to cut ingots it should be done with a hammer and chisel just like you can actually do it. Hot cutting would be easier than cold cutting for sure. It is possible to shear steel by placing it on an anvil (I believe over one of the holes or something, it has been a while since I have read about it) in such a way that when hammered on when cold the force is concentrated enough that the bar shears in half. Works with bar stock but I don't see that happening with anything like an ingot without a BIG steam hammer.

*perhaps you could use a saw if you wanted to be confusing since the saws in TFC are for wood and you could never cut through an ingot with a rip or crosscut saw.

It could be possible to craft smaller clay mold (50, 10, 5) and transfert liquid metal mold to mold or break ore