Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
helpbot

Ageing Alcohol

5 posts in this topic

Ageing Alcohol 

This idea came to me as I was preparing leather every time I sealed a barrel the date I sealed it in was shown. This got me wondering on how could an ageing process for alcohol be implemented in TFC. Here are a couple came up.

Alcohol is and has been a recreational drink used by every civilization in every part of the world therefore is has huge diversity of colour and taste; but one constant is the use of ageing to improve flavour. depending on the alcohol and the region some require longer or shorter period of ageing.

In TFC alcohol comes in a couple different types. Each type has a very small change of giving you a potion affects. My main idea works with this mechanic.
  • The concept is the longer an alcohol is aged the higher the chance for potion affect to take place
So lets say I were to seal my barrel and let it age for a whole TFC year when I open it the alcohol would have 10% higher probability of giving me a potion effect (with a limit of 5 years of ageing so u could not get higher then 50% probability)

Another aspect I came up works with taste and cooking skill. As I’m sure the nutritional value of Vodka is quite low alcohol taste should not affect the amount nutritional value but the duration of the potion affect good and bad.

• So If were to seal a barrel depending on my cooking Exp lvl this would determine whether additional secs to potion affect will take place.(this will take into account only the Exp lvl I am when I sealed the barrel not the Exp lvl I am when opening it). As well with taste if I find the taste more desirable a slight increase of duration time will occur.

And my finale thought works with TFC region/climate this thought is a lot harder to implement. Some alcohol require shorter period of ageing this has to do with climate. Take whiskey and tequila: whiskey is produced in colder climate takes at least 3-12 years to produce and age. Tequila is produced in warmer climate takes only 2-3 years to reach peak. Climate help with speed up the aging process.
  • If I were in a warmer climate when I seal it for ageing maybe the % is slightly increase when I’m done creating it. Instead of a flat 10% per year i get 11or 12.

As I am not a programer I would not know exactly how hard it would be to implement these changes but I do have some suggestions. In the new version of TFC food has 2 bars one to show rot and the other for quaintly. You could use this mechanic to show how long this alcohol is aged and how long is the base duration of the effects. (so a fully aged fully Exp lvl cook alcohol would have both bars full) you might want to use the rot mechanic in revers and slow down for the ageing process.

If anyone has any more ideas or have a different take on how to implement ageing alcohol in TFC please feel free to add on in this thread 

Already planned, hence the reason for the date addition to the barrel UI. :)

when I 1st noticed it i thought it was implemented in the new system but when checked the log it hadn't been. Anyways thought i would still give my take on how ageing would work on TFC but great to hear that it will be implemented in a later time  :D

Already planned, hence the reason for the date addition to the barrel UI. :)

Awesome! Definitely going to be building some awesome cellars now.

Uh thats gonna be cool, we just need some way to name items to lable my single malt :D

Iirc IRL brewing of beers and wines actually works best around 27°C if its to cold the reaction gets slower, wine yeast goes up to about 20% alcohol.

For the stronger alcohols there could be a destillery (over a firepit/forge) using the raw e.g. whisky wash to destill the actuall liquer, raising the alcohol percentage to 40%, repeat the destillation to get to 60% and so on, which then should be stored in a cold dark place for aging.

edit: Stonger booze could have a higher/better chance of effects or reaching different effects then just the weaker alcohol since its a more work/time intensive procedure with a much purer product.