Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Trenix

Rename Protein to Meat

26 posts in this topic

The nutrition section isn't really making sense to me. The categories go as follow: Fruit, Vegetable, Grain, Protein, and Dairy. The thing is, protein is found in fruits, vegetables, grains, and dairies. Many people still believe that you can only get protein through meats, when this is not true at all and I encourage everyone to research this for themselves. Renaming the protein category to meat would make a whole lot more sense. Also would be nice if the tab had a title above it like the rest of the tabs do, something like "Nutrition" or something.

Yeah, but some of the non-meats also give protein, like soybeans for instance.

I think, eggs also fall into this category, so changing it to "meat" won't solve the problem ...

I feel that it should be left as is. If people think that meat is the only source of protein then they will obviously know that the protein bar is filled by meats so there is no confusion. Changing the name would only confuse people and promote the misconception. While the other categories do contain protein their major caloric makeup is from other sources. (with the exception of leafy greens and such) The nutrition bars are made to be recognizable to people and refer to the major components of the food you consume. It would be much more accurate to have Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids, Vitamins, Minerals, but that would mean an extremely complicated system where multiple foods change multiple bars and would confuse the hell out of everyone.

I think it better to leave it alone. If the people are not clever enough to realize that Fruit, Vegetable, Grain, Protein, Dairy are referring to their food then I doubt they will even know what the word "Nutrition" at the top of the tab means. EVERYONE in the world eats/consumes stuff or else they wouldn't be alive anymore.

Yeah, but some of the non-meats also give protein, like soybeans for instance.

Do soybeans increase both protein and vegetable bars in the nutrition section? Because if that's the case, than so should the other foods. If it only increases potein than that's weird because it's also a vegetable.

I think, eggs also fall into this category, so changing it to "meat" won't solve the problem ...

An egg is a meat, it's most definitely not a plant or a dairy. Even a simple internet search can tell you that.

I feel that it should be left as is. If people think that meat is the only source of protein then they will obviously know that the protein bar is filled by meats so there is no confusion. Changing the name would only confuse people and promote the misconception. While the other categories do contain protein their major caloric makeup is from other sources. (with the exception of leafy greens and such) The nutrition bars are made to be recognizable to people and refer to the major components of the food you consume. It would be much more accurate to have Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids, Vitamins, Minerals, but that would mean an extremely complicated system where multiple foods change multiple bars and would confuse the hell out of everyone.

I think it better to leave it alone. If the people are not clever enough to realize that Fruit, Vegetable, Grain, Protein, Dairy are referring to their food then I doubt they will even know what the word "Nutrition" at the top of the tab means. EVERYONE in the world eats/consumes stuff or else they wouldn't be alive anymore.

I don't get what you're saying, so making people think that only meats provide protein is a good thing? No, that’s actually a very terrible thing, to the point that it’s irritating. I know a lot about dieting so this stuff really bugs me. Its concept isn’t even believable at the very least because it simply isn't true. Also everyone will know what a meat is, more so than what protein is. So renaming protein to meat would just be fixing a mistake and it'll be a lot more easier to comprehend for everyone. No one will get confused and even if they do, that's what the wiki and the internet is for.

I just have one thing to say.

You know the five food groups? You know the thing they taught you when you where a little kid and they where telling you why it was important to have a balanced meal?

Remember how they where named Fruit, Vegetables, Grains, Protein, and Dairy?

Yea.

I feel that it should be left as is.

+1 ... from a vegetarian. ;)

You should think about Protein section as the food which contains the greater amount of proteins, for instance you can't simply change all to meat since like someone said, soybeans are protein source and they are vegetables, the matter is complex and because of this, this reasoning doesn't apply to all food categories, for dairy we should for example choose fat category since cheese usually contains a lot of fat compared to other foods.. Leave it as it is, it is fine, or we should choose a lot of other categories maybe

Personally I think the nuitrition section should have the following categories

Carbohydrates

Lipids

Protein

Free Sugars

So yeah, protein should stay protein

i personally think the catergories are fine as is. The values that change when you eat just get tweeked every now and then, but the catergories are fine. As someone that's still kinda new-ish to this mod, there is soo much else going on and things to figure out that i'd rather not spend days trying to figure out a complex food system esspesially if it caused me to die a lot XD (my world is kinda deviod of most wild crops and i have yet to come across an animal that isn't a bear >.< so a more complex food system would just kill me in this world)

I just have one thing to say.You know the five food groups? You know the thing they taught you when you where a little kid and they where telling you why it was important to have a balanced meal?Remember how they where named Fruit, Vegetables, Grains, Protein, and Dairy?Yea.

I see what you mean, the American food groups for the food pyramid are very misleading and not once have I ever used their terrible system in the real world. They make it seem like only the foods in the protein food category actually give you protein which is rediculious. This food pyramid is probably not even taught in schools anymore as is anything that has to do with eating healthy which is a real shame. Its no wonder why our country suffers from obesity.I can argue and even prove to you that the protein food category isn't even really required whatsoever in order to be healthy. In fact you'd be much healthier avoiding it altogether and relying on dairy to get those missing nutrients. Having a protein deficiency by simply being on a vegan diet is impossible.Sorry but I still am confused with this system, it just does not make sense to me. If it was called meat instead, it would be much easier to categorize all my foods rather than doing trail and error or using a outdated and highly inaccurate food pyramid. I'm ok with eating all food groups to keep the game fun and challenging, but only if its categorized correctly so I don't have to guess what goes in protein when technically, everything should.

I would strongly suggest Trenix, that you read the post at the top of the home page right now, as it seems a handful of your suggestions are because you are missing this key concept.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/index.html/_/articles/believable-r64

The last thing I will say before I end this article is directed at those who know a whole lot about a particular subject in real life and find that TFC isn't accurate when it should be. Before you spend the time to type up a long post and get into a heated discussion, I ask that you first try to put yourselves in the shoes of someone who doesn't have your extensive knowledge. Then ask yourself if the basic idea is sound. If it is, then we've achieved believable. Remember, TFC is not a simulator, its a game that encourages people to want to learn new things without the boring drudgery of school and textbooks.

In regards you having a difficult time "categorizing your foods," there is a nice chart on the Food page of the wiki: http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Food#Nutrition

Posted Image

You should think about Protein section as the food which contains the greater amount of proteins, for instance you can't simply change all to meat since like someone said, soybeans are protein source and they are vegetables, the matter is complex and because of this, this reasoning doesn't apply to all food categories, for dairy we should for example choose fat category since cheese usually contains a lot of fat compared to other foods.. Leave it as it is, it is fine, or we should choose a lot of other categories maybe

That's what I was trying to say.

I see what you mean, the American food groups for the food pyramid are very misleading and not once have I ever used their terrible system in the real world. They make it seem like only the foods in the protein food category actually give you protein which is rediculious. This food pyramid is probably not even taught in schools anymore as is anything that has to do with eating healthy which is a real shame. Its no wonder why our country suffers from obesity.I can argue and even prove to you that the protein food category isn't even really required whatsoever in order to be healthy. In fact you'd be much healthier avoiding it altogether and relying on dairy to get those missing nutrients. Having a protein deficiency by simply being on a vegan diet is impossible.Sorry but I still am confused with this system, it just does not make sense to me. If it was called meat instead, it would be much easier to categorize all my foods rather than doing trail and error or using a outdated and highly inaccurate food pyramid. I'm ok with eating all food groups to keep the game fun and challenging, but only if its categorized correctly so I don't have to guess what goes in protein when technically, everything should.

Why are you guessing? Don't you see the big red word Protein when you hover over a meat item in your inventory? Every food tells you what category it is in. There is no Trial and Error ever, you should be using your eyes to read what it says on your screen just like you are doing right now.

Also, I agree with you about the food pyramid idea. Something like the Healthy Eating Pyramid is much better.

*Edit*

OMG Kitty, totally got sniper posted...

Well fair enough, I figured out where you got your source from and if that's what you wanna go by then I'll respect it even though I don't agree with it. I'll rely on the tool tips and the wiki to make sure I'm doing it right. However I don't agree with this concept and my suggestion still stands though.

I think you'll have more luck argueing for new categories than renaming protein to meat. The fact remains that eggs and soy beans are primary sources of protein, and so don't fit in the meat category. Sure, you could justify moving soy beans to vegatables, but eggs? Where are they gonna go? Like you said, they're not dairy. Now, while it is true that milk is a source of protein, it is not primarily consumed for the protein. It's true that the 5/4 category way of splitting things up isn't perfect, but it's the system most widely used.

Although, in the Canadian food guide, protean is listed as "Meats and alternatives". But that'd be a rather dumb category for a game.

I think you'll have more luck argueing for new categories than renaming protein to meat. The fact remains that eggs and soy beans are primary sources of protein, and so don't fit in the meat category. Sure, you could justify moving soy beans to vegatables, but eggs? Where are they gonna go? Like you said, they're not dairy. Now, while it is true that milk is a source of protein, it is not primarily consumed for the protein. It's true that the 5/4 category way of splitting things up isn't perfect, but it's the system most widely used.

Although, in the Canadian food guide, protean is listed as "Meats and alternatives". But that'd be a rather dumb category for a game.

Like I've already said, an egg is a meat. This is a matter of common sense, it's not really up for discussion. You can find that out practically everywhere, its general knowledge but you see this is exactly what I’m trying to say. This whole crappy food pyramid has you and others confused to the point that you don’t even know that an egg is a meat. I’m not going to blame you, because it really isn’t your fault. However I will try to emphasizes how people need to be a little more accurate with information or else confusions such as these happen. It’s making us dumber which is not a very good thing and its going against what the developers actually want, us to learn something from the Mod. Just take a look at the definition of dairy, “containing or made from milk”. Is an egg made up of milk or animal parts? Animal parts means it’s a meat.

Well, no. Eggs are not meat in any way. Meat is muscles of animals that you eat. Most eggs don't even contain embryo, so your argument is not that smart. Also, protein category is about exogenous aminoacids. As you should know proteins are broken into aa in your digestive tract. And you won't get enough exogenous aa's from everything,you have to eat products that contain them in significant amount, and those products have high protein percentage as well. That's why meat or say, soy beans are needed to live a helathy live.

Also, as a side note, not eating meat during development of human organism (when you're a child) leads to a lot of problems, there are many studies that confirm it. So please stop arguing, it's getting nowhere.

Oh, and in Europe they teach the food pyramid as well. It changes from time to time, but is fairly accurate and really easy to understand/utilise.

Hope i didn't angered anyone. Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

just create a resource pack if the problem is renaming Protein to Meat.

See attached file as an example for English (US) - the original file can be found on Github (source code) or in the mod's jar-file:

Meat.zip

Well, no. Eggs are not meat in any way. Meat is muscles of animals that you eat. Most eggs don't even contain embryo, so your argument is not that smart. Also, protein category is about exogenous aminoacids. As you should know proteins are broken into aa in your digestive tract. And you won't get enough exogenous aa's from everything,you have to eat products that contain them in significant amount, and those products have high protein percentage as well. That's why meat or say, soy beans are needed to live a helathy live.

Also, as a side note, not eating meat during development of human organism (when you're a child) leads to a lot of problems, there are many studies that confirm it. So please stop arguing, it's getting nowhere.

Oh, and in Europe they teach the food pyramid as well. It changes from time to time, but is fairly accurate and really easy to understand/utilise.

Hope i didn't angered anyone. Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

Just because the flesh is being developed does not mean it’s not flesh. Just because a fetus is still being developed doesn’t make it not a human. There are eggs which do have an embryo and also are capable of hatching a chick without ever having to be fertilized. You see something like milk will never turn into an animal or something with flesh, but the same can’t be said about an egg. You and others can convince yourselves that something which is not yet fully developed is non-existent or not yet classified. But people like me think otherwise, and that does not mean we’re stupid.

-Removed for a second time.-

There are babies that can been brought up as vegans with no ill side effects. I also went vegan a few times and it's probably the best experience I've ever went through. I felt much healthier, I had more energy, and I thought more clearly. Please don't make up lies stating how important meat is, many people live without it and have much healthier lives than if they were still eating it.

Edited by Kittychanley
User will be banned if I have to edit this post again.

I suggest you just take a breath and move on. You are free to hold any views you like and conduct your life as you feel is right. Show others this same respect and not shame them with your "facts". This a game forum, please don't brow beat others this is not the place.

Just because the flesh is being developed does not mean it’s not flesh. Just because a fetus is still being developed doesn’t make it not a human. There are eggs which do have an embryo and also are capable of hatching a chick without ever having to be fertilized. You see something like milk will never turn into an animal or something with flesh, but the same can’t be said about an egg. You and others can convince yourselves that something which is not yet fully developed is non-existent or not yet classified. But people like me think otherwise, and that does not mean we’re stupid.

Eggs do not actually turn into animals themselves, egg white is just there to protect the yolk and embryo(and to provide some nutrition), and the yolk is nutrtion for the growing embryo.

Both parts will never turn into a chicken. They will only be used up, and be more or less discarded.

Eggs do not actually turn into animals themselves, egg white is just there to protect the yolk and embryo(and to provide some nutrition), and the yolk is nutrtion for the growing embryo.

Both parts will never turn into a chicken. They will only be used up, and be more or less discarded.

You're right, so some eggs may be empty and therefore not be even considered an animal. However a egg that's being developing I would continue to consider it as an animal. Therefore categorizing an egg whether it's a meat or not is debatable. I can see your point...

Meat is muscle tissue. Every other pary of an animal is NOT meat. So saying animals are only meat is really not right. They tend to have many more pieces.

Meat is muscle tissue. Every other pary of an animal is NOT meat. So saying animals are only meat is really not right. They tend to have many more pieces.

Meat is the flesh of an animal as food. Flesh is the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of an animal or a human. I donno, at some point the egg will become a meat as it becomes further developed.

I think there is not really a point in this discussion. Besides, Soybeans still are in that category, and that's also for gameplay reasons, to provide you with protein when there is not much meat around.

Let's be it as it is ...