Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Trenix

Improve Firestarter

19 posts in this topic

The firestarter we use in game is actually called a Fire Plough. This primitive tool is typically made out of a hardwood stick that is rubbed along the groove of a softwood log. Kindling is optional, but using it would increase your chances of starting a fire. Think about it, hay would be the perfect kindling, especially since we get it early in the game. Right now I can see that sticks are all the same, but it would be nice to see that change. Aside from this suggestion, sticks are commonly used as handles so the wood type of them could take part in your tool's durability. We have so many types of woods available; it would be nice to put them into good use. If the recipe of the firestarter would change to using a softwood log and a hardwood stick, the durability of the tool should definitely increase for balance purposes.

While you could use two sticks to make a fire plough, using a log with a stick would be way more efficient and durable. Using two sticks would probably only be enough light up a single fire, which is not what we’re attempting to do in the game. Also the firestarter’s current recipe just feels way too basic for a game like this.

Suggestion Summary

• Rename ‘firestarter’ to ‘fire plough’
  • Give sticks wood types
  • Change firestarter’s recipe to a softwood log with a hardwood stick. (Example: A spruce log with a maple stick.)
  • Maybe give hay a part in the recipe, whether it’s to increase the tools durability, effectiveness, or just have it be a permanent ingredient.
  • Increase durability of the tool for balance purposes.

At the very least, at least give this tool its appropriate name and have us craft it using a softwood and a regular unclassified stick.

I like the idea.

If nothing else, the name should indeed be changed. I don't know, "fire starter" doesn't sound quite right.

And add straw to the crafting recipe.

These should be some very quick changes :)

I like the idea of a log and a stick, however making certain wood types such as softwood and hardwood, would create a lot more of the "Create a world" then "Delete the world" process that too many people already do. I'm ok with adding thatch/straw to the recipe and making it require a log and a stick instead of 2 sticks.

I want to start off saying "Yes!", because the fire starter has always bothered me. It is the only tool that feels like it doesn't belong, not because of how you use it, but because it's always felt so unfinished. It bothers me that it makes no sound, no animation, and makes no connection to the game other than "early game fire".

No one has ever pointed it out, because it's always been part of the game, but out it's a mechanic that SURELY could use some improvement. I'm glad you brought this up, for our dear old fire starter could use an update.

And on that line, I wanted to suggest three things. You probably already know that paper can be used as kindling for a better chance to make fire.

1) Lower the chance to make fire. This pushes players to seek better methods. Use your suggestions for a better fire starter.

2) Make hay the lesser form of paper, for the purposes of fire starting. Hay would quadruple your chances of lighting a fire.

3) Add a darn primitive flint-and-steel! Mid-game is perfect for using raw hematite to make a better fire starter. The durability goes off of how big of a piece was used, but overall than a log and a stick.

This is something that I'd really love to see improved in the game, if nothing else than aesthetics and continuity.

What about using torches?

In order to make a torch you first need to create a fire using the current firestarter that we have, so that really wouldn't work. Also the idea of using a torch to light up everything is very exploitative which is why dont fully agree with that concept whatsoever. It makes things too easy..

Yeah, I

In order to make a torch you first need to create a fire using the current firestarter that we have, so that really wouldn't work. Also the idea of using a torch to light up everything is very exploitative which is why dont fully agree with that concept whatsoever. It makes things too easy..

Well yeah, you need the firestarter at the begining always.

Wood type sticks were abandoned in the aerly stages of the mod, and will surely not come back

The change to a log and a stick sounds nice and the addition of straw would be great. Or they could not change it and I would be fine with that. I disagree with the statement that paper > Straw for fire starting. Dry grasses are an IDEAL kindling. I forget what you call it when you rub it around a bit and it gets all fuzzy because the fibers begin to separate, but when done it makes wonderful tinder. I would take some dry grass over paper any day.

Paper was used in TFC long before straw was added. I feel that paper should be replaced entirely by straw as tinder.

I realize I literally just posted this in another of Trenix's threads, but I'm going to copy it here for visibility as well:

I would strongly suggest Trenix, that you read the post at the top of the home page right now, as it seems a handful of your suggestions are because you are missing this key concept.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/index.html/_/articles/believable-r64

The last thing I will say before I end this article is directed at those who know a whole lot about a particular subject in real life and find that TFC isn't accurate when it should be. Before you spend the time to type up a long post and get into a heated discussion, I ask that you first try to put yourselves in the shoes of someone who doesn't have your extensive knowledge. Then ask yourself if the basic idea is sound. If it is, then we've achieved believable. Remember, TFC is not a simulator, its a game that encourages people to want to learn new things without the boring drudgery of school and textbooks.

Now as to my response to this suggestion in particular. The name will not be changed. "Fire Starter" is a simple, recognizable name that just about any person will understand what the tool does. If we change it to be called "Fire Plough" it will only cause confusion. The average person has absolutely no freakin' clue what a "fire plough" is, and they're probably going to have to google it. Education in gaming is great, making our players use a dictionary in order to understand what's going on, not so much.

Kindling has been in the game since fire pits were first added, it has simply been a piece of paper since straw is a relatively new addition to the game. I am double checking with Bioxx before making the change, but if I get the go-ahead then I will replace paper with straw.

If you read through the change log archive, you will see that for an extremely short period of time, there were sticks for every wood type:

Beta v2 Pre 38

[*]Trees correctly drop their own sticks instead of all tree types giving oak sticks. Oopsie! Note: this may not stay, I'm aware of the potential inventory issues

Beta v2 Pre 39

[*]Removed tree type sticks. More trouble than it's worth.

The inventory management issues, art and item IDs required for all of the different types, and many other things were just ridiculous. The idea is in theory is neat, but in practice it did not make for good gameplay.

In response to Natesky9: What sound exactly do two sticks rubbing together make? It's not something loud or recognizable enough to warrant us going out to find a royalty free clip and adding it to the game. As for the animation argument, not a single standard tool in Minecraft has a special animation when it is used. The only exception I can think of is the bow, and the fishing rod, but those animations are required because the item has varying degrees of use. Please keep in mind that this is a mod for Minecraft. As for the primitive flint and steel, zombies rarely drop wrought iron ingots. Last week during Pak's TFCTuesday stream, I killed a zombie within my first few hours of playing, which dropped a wrought iron ingot that we quickly turned into a flint and steel.

I realize I literally just posted this in another of Trenix's threads, but I'm going to copy it here for visibility as well:

I would strongly suggest Trenix, that you read the post at the top of the home page right now, as it seems a handful of your suggestions are because you are missing this key concept.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/index.html/_/articles/believable-r64

Now as to my response to this suggestion in particular. The name will not be changed. "Fire Starter" is a simple, recognizable name that just about any person will understand what the tool does. If we change it to be called "Fire Plough" it will only cause confusion. The average person has absolutely no freakin' clue what a "fire plough" is, and they're probably going to have to google it. Education in gaming is great, making our players use a dictionary in order to understand what's going on, not so much.

Kindling has been in the game since fire pits were first added, it has simply been a piece of paper since straw is a relatively new addition to the game. I am double checking with Bioxx before making the change, but if I get the go-ahead then I will replace paper with straw.

If you read through the change log archive, you will see that for an extremely short period of time, there were sticks for every wood type:

Beta v2 Pre 38

[*]Trees correctly drop their own sticks instead of all tree types giving oak sticks. Oopsie! Note: this may not stay, I'm aware of the potential inventory issues

Beta v2 Pre 39

[*]Removed tree type sticks. More trouble than it's worth.

The inventory management issues, art and item IDs required for all of the different types, and many other things were just ridiculous. The idea is in theory is neat, but in practice it did not make for good gameplay.

In response to Natesky9: What sound exactly do two sticks rubbing together make? It's not something loud or recognizable enough to warrant us going out to find a royalty free clip and adding it to the game. As for the animation argument, not a single standard tool in Minecraft has a special animation when it is used. The only exception I can think of is the bow, and the fishing rod, but those animations are required because the item has varying degrees of use. Please keep in mind that this is a mod for Minecraft. As for the primitive flint and steel, zombies rarely drop wrought iron ingots. Last week during Pak's TFCTuesday stream, I killed a zombie within my first few hours of playing, which dropped a wrought iron ingot that we quickly turned into a flint and steel.

I have a very good idea of what it means but I feel like the word is being greatly manipulated in this situation, to the point that I can’t even comprehend what’s believable anymore by your definition. You don't run with realism, I completely understand that. Aside from realism ever being possible in a game setting, which is impossible, to get close to it would be overly complicated and annoying, yes I get that. However you’re throwing realism out the window when it does act hand to hand with believability. For example magic isn’t realistic, but if you put it together correctly through some truths it can become believable.

Using the term ‘Fire Starter’ when it’s actually ‘Fire Plough’ isn’t anything to do with believability though. It’s just flat out incorrect terminology. This isn’t something that can be exploited or will overly complicate things to the point that people will get confused. I just recently started playing this game, I didn’t recognize what this tool was or how it was made based on its name, but rather figured it out through the wiki along with the other items and features. As for the accuracy of item's recipe, it would make the game more fun, it’s even more understandable than making a fire pit in this game, because that process took me forever to understand along with the kiln pit. If you guys truly didn’t want to go in depth with realism, then why can’t I just craft a fire pit like you would make a furnace in Minecraft?

It seems like anything that I suggest can’t have a single thing to do with realism or accuracy regardless if it will improve gameplay. I mean if people don’t know what the tool is after they make it, there is a wiki and the internet for that information and that’s not a bad thing. I thought I’ve just read that you like the idea of getting educated through gaming, well this is how you go about doing it. Teaching them incorrect information will only make them stupid. I mean let’s take for example logs in the game, they burn at different temperatures and you think anyone seriously knows that kind of information outside of using the internet and the wiki? It’s like when I attempt to correct the game you pull the believability card when your whole game already has plenty of realism all over it.

Torches even got changed recently and they pushed away from believability and more into realism. It seems like everyone liked it probably because most realism is actually fun to deal with. I mean why are people here in the first place? I’m pretty sure it’s because they probably got fed up with the lack of maintenance and realism in Minecraft. Minecraft is just way too basic to the point that it’s boring. With this Mod however, I’m getting occupied figuring things out and it makes for an amazing experience. If I were the person that suggested for torches to burn out, would it be similar to this exact situation? Well that’s my counter argument, believability works hand to hand with realism, but not entirely as I've just explained. Avoiding realism altogether will require you to make a completely fictional game.

I have a very good idea of what it means but I feel like the word is being greatly manipulated in this situation, to the point that I can’t even comprehend what’s believable anymore by your definition. You don't run with realism, I completely understand that. Aside from realism ever being possible in a game setting, which is impossible, to get close to it would be overly complicated and annoying, yes I get that. However you’re throwing realism out the window when it does act hand to hand with believability. For example magic isn’t realistic, but if you put it together correctly through some truths it can become believable.

Using the term ‘Fire Starter’ when it’s actually ‘Fire Plough’ isn’t anything to do with believability though. It’s just flat out incorrect terminology. This isn’t something that can be exploited or will overly complicate things to the point that people will get confused. I just recently started playing this game, I didn’t recognize what this tool was or how it was made based on its name, but rather figured it out through the wiki along with the other items and features. As for the accuracy of item's recipe, it would make the game more fun, it’s even more understandable than making a fire pit in this game, because that process took me forever to understand along with the kiln pit. If you guys truly didn’t want to go in depth with realism, then why can’t I just craft a fire pit like you would make a furnace in Minecraft?

It seems like anything that I suggest can’t have a single thing to do with realism or accuracy regardless if it will improve gameplay. I mean if people don’t know what the tool is after they make it, there is a wiki and the internet for that information and that’s not a bad thing. I thought I’ve just read that you like the idea of getting educated through gaming, well this is how you go about doing it. Teaching them incorrect information will only make them stupid. I mean let’s take for example logs in the game, they burn at different temperatures and you think anyone seriously knows that kind of information outside of using the internet and the wiki? It’s like when I attempt to correct the game you pull the believability card when your whole game already has plenty of realism all over it.

Torches even got changed recently and they pushed away from believability and more into realism. It seems like everyone liked it probably because most realism is actually fun to deal with. I mean why are people here in the first place? I’m pretty sure it’s because they probably got fed up with the lack of maintenance and realism in Minecraft. Minecraft is just way too basic to the point that it’s boring. With this Mod however, I’m getting occupied figuring things out and it makes for an amazing experience. Well that’s my counter argument, believability works hand to hand with realism, but not entirely as I've just explained. Avoiding realism altogether will require you to make a completely fictional game.

BOLD

Is it a tool that starts fires? Yes. As such, fire starter is an accurate name. Hell, even I've made a fire by spinning a stick on a log, but never have I cared what the actual terminology was. I honestly think you're the only person who couldn't figure out the use for a "fire starter" just by looking at the name.

How did torches move away from believability and into realism? If anything, the mechanic become more believable AND more realistic.

UNDERLINED

In the first underlined section, you are saying you couldn't figure out what the tool did or how it was made until you read the wiki. You seem to think the contruction and function should be obvious from looking at it. In the second underlined section, you advicate the use of the wiki for obtaining this sort of information. So which is it? Are the construction and function of TFC tools supposed to be obvious at a glance, or be gleaned from the knowledge base?

BOLD

Is it a tool that starts fires? Yes. As such, fire starter is an accurate name. Hell, even I've made a fire by spinning a stick on a log, but never have I cared what the actual terminology was. I honestly think you're the only person who couldn't figure out the use for a "fire starter" just by looking at the name.

Unfortunately the primitive tool that we’re using actually has a real name, it doesn’t need a new one nor does it require an adjective to describe it. That’s like calling a fishing pole a fish catcher, its equivalent to baby talk. Take for example Steel & Flint, it’s as much as a fire starter as a ‘fire starter’. You see that’s why we give tools their proper names, because things get conflicting. So no, that’s not an accurate name. Once you invent or discover something, maybe then you could properly name it. I didn’t think we were here to make up new words or start a new language.

I’m not here to be an ass, I’m here to give feedback of how to polish up a game. If I didn’t use the proper terminology for an item that actually exists, I would be more than happy to change it rather than get defensive and say, “It’s all about believability, people understand what it means so leave it alone.” Also you didn't understand what I said. First off I know for a fact no one here picked up two sticks and knew that it'll create a 'firestarter' except for the developers themselves. Instead they went on the wiki and found out that in order to make a fire pit they must create something called a 'firestarter' first. So changing the name of the item wouldn't cause any confusion whatsoever.

How did torches move away from believability and into realism? If anything, the mechanic become more believable AND more realistic.

No it pushed away from believability because the fantasy aspect of the torches was that they lasted forever. To have them burnout and then require you to relight them would make things realistic and that would make things also more tedious, which it has. The believability went down significantly and the realism went up. Still, people enjoyed the realism aspect, as well as I did. In fact, I wish it was even more realistic to some extent.

UNDERLINED

In the first underlined section, you are saying you couldn't figure out what the tool did or how it was made until you read the wiki. You seem to think the contruction and function should be obvious from looking at it. In the second underlined section, you advicate the use of the wiki for obtaining this sort of information. So which is it? Are the construction and function of TFC tools supposed to be obvious at a glance, or be gleaned from the knowledge base?

What I’m trying to say is that everything should be found out in the wiki and there is nothing wrong with that. Minecraft itself is revolved around the wiki. Even with this Mod I’ve used the wiki throughout otherwise it would be impossible to do anything. Kittychanley says that she won’t change the name of firestarter because right now it’s easy to understand and people won’t have a clue of what a fire plough is, unless they look it up on google. I mean that’s what the wiki is for, right? My face is in the wiki majority of the time I’m playing the game anyway. It's just not a very good argument.

Unfortunately the primitive tool that we’re using actually has a real name, it doesn’t need a new one nor does it require an adjective to describe it. That’s like calling a fishing pole a fish catcher, its equivalent to baby talk. Take for example Steel & Flint, it’s as much as a fire starter as a ‘fire starter’. You see that’s why we give tools their proper names, because things get conflicting. So no, that’s not an accurate name. Once you invent or discover something, maybe then you could properly name it. I didn’t think we were here to make up new words or start a new language.

I’m not here to be an ass, I’m here to give feedback of how to polish up a game. If I didn’t use the proper terminology for an item that actually exists, I would be more than happy to change it rather than get defensive and say, “It’s all about believability, people understand what it means so leave it alone.” Also you didn't understand what I said. First off I know for a fact no one here picked up two sticks and knew that it'll create a 'firestarter' except for the developers themselves. Instead they went on the wiki and found out that in order to make a fire pit they must create something called a 'firestarter' first. So changing the name of the item wouldn't cause any confusion whatsoever.

No it pushed away from believability because the fantasy aspect of the torches was that they lasted forever. To have them burnout and then require you to relight them would make things realistic and that would make things also more tedious, which it has. The believability went down significantly and the realism went up. Still, people enjoyed the realism aspect, as well as I did. In fact, I wish it was even more realistic to some extent.

What I’m trying to say is that everything should be found out in the wiki and there is nothing wrong with that. Minecraft itself is revolved around the wiki. Even with this Mod I’ve used the wiki throughout otherwise it would be impossible to do anything. Kittychanley says that she won’t change the name of firestarter because right now it’s easy to understand and people won’t have a clue of what a fire plough is, unless they look it up on google. I mean that’s what the wiki is for, right? My face is in the wiki majority of the time I’m playing the game anyway. It's just not a very good argument.

However, note that while flint & steel, fishing rod, pickaxe, ect. are all easily recognized names, whereas fire plough is rather obscure. If it were any other tool, I'd probably agree with you. And actually, I did stumble across the fire starter like that, though I couldn't fire out how to make a fire with it. But as Kitty has said: "The name will not be changed". There comes a point where you have to respect the developer's design decisions. If you want to change the name, it's like 1 line of code in the tooltips section.

Torches were never believable. Eternally burning torches aren't believable because there is nothing about the world to suggest that they should burn forever. Forges burn out when their coal runs out, and firepits give up when they're out of logs. Why should torches be any different? Unless you made a change to the game world that explained how a stick can burn forever but a forge can't, it's not believable. Believable and realistic in this case go hand in hand.

Eternal torches: Not Believable, not realistic

Torches that burn out: Believable, Realistic

Torches with bioluminescent stones on top that give light forever: Believable, not realistic

I....can't actually think of anything realistic, but not believable. Remember that believability is "given what you know about the world, could you see this being possible". Torches burning out could certainly be possible.

As an aside, there is presedence for calling it a fire starter: http://lib.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Maker. Not that another survival game giving something a made up name is any form of justification, just saying that it's not the only occurence of game developers giving custom names for minor objects.

Thanks for clearing up the last part, makes sense.

However, note that while flint & steel, fishing rod, pickaxe, ect. are all easily recognized names, whereas fire plough is rather obscure. If it were any other tool, I'd probably agree with you. And actually, I did stumble across the fire starter like that, though I couldn't fire out how to make a fire with it. But as Kitty has said: "The name will not be changed". There comes a point where you have to respect the developer's design decisions. If you want to change the name, it's like 1 line of code in the tooltips section.

That I understand, the developer is still in charge but if the developer is going to give me a forum where I can provide suggestions, I will do so. I'm a very vocal person and enjoy getting involved in reasonable discussions. The likelihood of anything being changed, is highly unlikely. But that's not going to stop me from making sure my point is fully known. Would they rather see a simple suggestion that is terse and provides little to nothing, or a suggestion that's backed up with reason and great lengths of detail? I'm open for debate, just how it is. Hope no one takes it personal, I still enjoy this Mod.

Torches were never believable. Eternally burning torches aren't believable because there is nothing about the world to suggest that they should burn forever. Forges burn out when their coal runs out, and firepits give up when they're out of logs. Why should torches be any different? Unless you made a change to the game world that explained how a stick can burn forever but a forge can't, it's not believable. Believable and realistic in this case go hand in hand.

Eternal torches: Not Believable, not realistic

Torches that burn out: Believable, Realistic

Torches with bioluminescent stones on top that give light forever: Believable, not realistic

I....can't actually think of anything realistic, but not believable. Remember that believability is "given what you know about the world, could you see this being possible". Torches burning out could certainly be possible.

Very good, you're right. You got me on this one, I wont deny it.

Well, yes, in a way. All tools have some sort of feedback when you use them. As subtle as they may be, performing nearly any action has either some sort of sound, breaking animation, operating animation, or text that indicates that it's doing something. Simply using a shovel plays a dig sound, depending if it's dirt or grass, and shows an animation on the block that indicates the progress.

(also, you seem to "whack" at the block, but that's not how you use a shovel!)

Trust me, I've tried!

What I was hoping for was some sort of feedback for the tool, besides the "swapping animation" (what happens when you change items(or in this case, metadata)).A sound could be optional, but simply a few particle effects to indicate an action would suffice.And as for the flint and steel, it at least has a sound, but relying on a rare mob drop for something that could be recreated with primitive materials seems a bit too RNG. Any explorer would at some point stumble across a surface nugget of an iron ore, and that's what could be used to create a spark when struck against flint. I've done it in boy scouts (with raw iron too), and it's MUCh preferred over a "fire plough" or "bow drill" any day

Oooh, I never thought about particles. I'll have to look into it a bit more, and check with B to make sure it's alright, but perhaps the block you are using the fire starter on could emit a smoke particle or two on failed use. Does the fire starter not do the whack animation? Coulda sworn it did... if it doesn't, I'll look into making sure that happens too.

If we add in a primitive flint and steel, the fire starter very quickly becomes obsolete unless we make the durability on it ridiculously low. We get enough complaints that there aren't enough uses for sticks, and making another use for them obsolete isn't going to help that. :P

Also, the RNG has been a huge part of TFC for a very long time. Many veteran players will suggest making sacrifices or prayers to the almighty RNG so that it does not smite you with it's hate. Semi-Unrelated Fun Fact: The logs obtained from chopping down a tree with a stone axe is dependent on the RNG. When the RNG is feeling particularly tricky, you can actually chop down a sequoia and get no logs. The statistics for this happening are nearly impossible, but it can happen.

zombies rarely drop wrought iron ingots. Last week during Pak's TFCTuesday stream, I killed a zombie within my first few hours of playing, which dropped a wrought iron ingot that we quickly turned into a flint and steel.

I don't think they drop it rarely enough. I got around four/five ingots from killing zombies, and I don't even go out of my way to kill them. It took about three in-game nights.

But then, I suppose it's still not enough to really be that op, as you still need an anvil to make tools and such out of them, and the anvil needs a ton more stuff, and... yeah.

The firestarter does to the wacking thingy I think... it could do the thing where it dips down and disappears instead, not sure.

but I personally feel that it is off. I would rather prefer a pulling back thing like the bow.

As for the question, two sticks rubbing together will make a somewhat raspy sound.

If you look up 'fire plow' of youtube, you'll get lots of videos where people make fires with fire plows. A lot of them have the 'raspy two-sticks being rubbed together sound' so you can listen for yourself just in case I'm not making any sense

Thank you very much, TFC Dev Team!

I came finally around to play 79.12, and the change to the firestarter is simply awesome! The animation, the sound, the smoke, the little flame - the result is even better than suggested in this thread!

Thanks again for hearing our voice! :)