Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Arnkel666

A Bug Request

19 posts in this topic

I'd really like to see bugs added to minecraft, primarily as a food source. I even have a few ideas on how this could be implemented.

• Beetles & Grub Farming: You find a beetle in overworld and catch it by right clicking it. You can also kill it like any other animal mob, and eat it raw if you'd like, but if you place the captured beetle on a log(or possibly log pile), it changes the log(s) over time into "grub infested wood" allowing you to gather the infested wood and use the knife on the log to harvest maybe 1-2 oz of grubs per log.
  • Termite Mounds: Hit the mound with a stick, get termites! It could function a lot like unmovable berry bushes.
  • Bees: I know you guys have more for brewing planned. So I humbly request some method of gathering honey. Additionally, wax could be an alternative, renewable source of something like clay. If you're looking for suggestions on how to implement them, prior to discovering TFC, one of my favorite mods for Minecraft was Pam's Harvestcraft. It would actually put all those flowers to additional use since you'd have to plant them around the apiaries.
  • Butterflies/Moths/Caterpillars: Because they're pretty!
  • Spiders: Yes, they already exist in the game. I'm tired of letting all that meat go to waste. Have you ever had fried tarantula? It's delicious!

I would say that eating bugs falls under the category of topics that may be considered "disgusting" in nature, which is listed in the Do Not Post the Following Suggestions thread.

Calling eating insects disgusting is probably culturally insensitive

The cultures that eat insects by far outnumber those that don't

Most people in Europe/Canada/USA/Australia/New Zealand consider eating insects disgusting, but the majority of the world does not

My bad, I didn't realize the dietary habits of myself and most of the non-western world were "disgusting".

It's sad that in fast-food-infused north america we look at the healthy, ecologically friendly and highly efficient practice of eating insects as gross. IMO there's nothing wrong with your suggestion but in the end the devs are the ones who write the code and it's up to them to decide what is and what is not "gross". Even if B and D have no issue with it they might just feel that the food system is well-rounded as is and they would like to work on other aspects of the game. This would make a really cool add-on though.

I honestly didn't mean any personal offense in my earlier statement. I'm not disagreeing with Palisight that the majority of the world does not find eating bugs disgusting. However, the TFC player base has a much different distribution than the population of the world. The web analytics from this website show that the majority of people who play TFC come from western areas such as Europe/Canada/USA/Australia/New Zealand where bug eating is indeed still considered gross.

The fact of the matter is that not only are the majority of our players from a western culture, the developers are from a western culture too, and as such the mod is based around western culture things. This has been said a few times before when people ask about the timeline of TFC. The usual response is that TFC is based around medieval Europe and earlier.

Besides, we're allready swimming in a lake full of food where ever we look. i honestly don't think another food option is necessary, gross or not.

but if i had the chance in real life i wouldn't chicken out on eating food made out of bugs.

Not arguing the point on how americans see bugs any further, but for the record, bugs were consumed as food in europe during the middle ages. I can provide sources if anyone doubts that. As to the swimming in food comment, not everyone will go for the meat that exists(don't want to hurt the cows, or wont touch the pigs for religious reasons), and soy beans aren't present on some seeds. This idea would provide an extra protein(or possibly dairy option if you consider the amount of calcium) for those servers.

Not arguing the point on how americans see bugs any further, but for the record, bugs were consumed as food in europe during the middle ages. I can provide sources if anyone doubts that. As to the swimming in food comment, not everyone will go for the meat that exists(don't want to hurt the cows, or wont touch the pigs for religious reasons), and soy beans aren't present on some seeds. This idea would provide an extra protein(or possibly dairy option if you consider the amount of calcium) for those servers.

Are there actually people who refuse to eat pig in video games because of their religion? I'd actually love to meet such a person.

Are there actually people who refuse to eat pig in video games because of their religion? I'd actually love to meet such a person.

Yes actually. I know a couple of people like that. It's sorta like the vegans/vegetarians who wont eat meat in video games. I'll let them know you want to talk with them and see if I can get them to join the forum. :)

Yah, but that's by choice, to make the game more of a challange. Not quite the same thing :D

I think the same about IRL vegetarianism!

Keep in mind that there are more meats in TFC than just beef and pork. Calamari, Eggs, Fish, Horse Meat (Which almost wasn't added for a similar reason to this topic), Mutton, Chicken/Pheasant and Venison are all viable alternatives. Unless I'm mistaken, I can't think of any religion that prohibits the consumption of those proteins. I may be wrong, and if I am please let me know which religion has those practices, so that I shall know for the future.

You almost didn't add horse meat? But it's a delicacy in Dutch culture....

As for your list of meats, Christianity forbids:

Most sea creatures, including many fish and squid. Leviticus:11:9-12

To expand: fish with fins and scales are fine, but anything missing those are a no-no

Horses, since they don't have cloven hooves.

Pigs, same reason. Also, eat filth (Can't find it. It's in Levidicus somewhere)

Birds that eat carrion, or other birds (which includes chickens. Can't find a reason to rule out pheasants) Leviticus:11:13-19

Eggs (See birds)

Cats, dogs, and bears (Not that we have those meats. Although consider adding bear meat: it's delish) Leviticus:11:27

Bible is fine with cattle, deer, and sheep. Levidicus 11:3/Deuteronomy:14:4-5

Then of course cattle is off-limits for Hindus. Can't think of anybody that disallows mutton or venison. Doubt anybody has a thing against soybeans

Posted ImageCooked Beef Posted Image Cooked Calamari Posted ImageCooked Egg Posted ImageCooked Fish Posted ImageCooked Horse Meat Posted Image Cooked Mutton Posted Image Cooked Pork Posted ImageCooked Poultry Posted Image Cooked Venison Posted Image Soybeans

I think Kitty is saying there is at least one source of protein in the mod that anyone of any belief or lifestyle will find acceptable

To prove her statement wrong, you would need to find someone who objects to eating every item in the protein category

Although if that rationale is followed, one might consider the dairy category unacceptable to lactose intolerant people or cultures that don't consume milk or cheese

I've only lived in Canada and the US, and I am not lactose intolerant, so I'm not aware if people in other countries would actually find that offensive. Its certainly Eurocentric, but thats apparently a design goal

My religion says that farting is a huge sacrilege to the greatest gift given to us by our great lord and saviour, the flying spaghetti monster, the gift of pants.

thou shalt not soil these pants given unto thee by our great Lord, for they are blessed and holy by his noodly appendages.

Eat therefor not that which giveth unusual bowel movement, to protect thine pants from the terrors of the ass, in the name of our Lord and bringer of pasta the Flying Spaghetti monster.

Praise noodles, sauce and meaty balls.

Ramen.

Ahh yes, and to stay true to your beliefs you should be able to eat pasta every friday. Oh and don't forget the beer ;) sadly there is no pasta in TFC... are we discriminated by not having the abillity to eat pasta? Quick, to the suggestions forum! ;) And more seriously, I don't think it's Devs rezponsibility to make sure ppl don't "sin" in games. As for bugs, interesting thing for an addon but frankly I'd prefer to not waste Devs time on adding new mechanics to very varied food system. Let them work on new stuff, like boats and body temp ;)