Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guest densmore

early structures for latest builds?

26 posts in this topic

i was wondering what others are building as their early structures?  thatch is out now.  wood seems really flamable now. i have created a couple of tries now and neither have worked. 

first attempt was between thousands of blocks of ocean and dense forest that lead to slaughter after slaughter. second attempt built a log house only to have it burn to the ground in seconds from a pit kiln.

any thoughts would be great.

Have you perhaps considered putting your pit kilns outside of your structure where they are far enough away that it won't burn down your house?

oh yes. i did think of that. sadly not until after the fact. so my guess is log homes are the default starter structures?

Starting homes.... Let's see.....There's the thatch and log box, depression in the ground with thatch roof and spider blockers, log home, hole in the ground with ladder at the top, cave mouth with wall, sitting on top of a tree, under the sea, the list goes on.

Yeah, the log starter homes are definitely the most standard. The two other common ones I see from time to time are underneath an existing boulder, or in the side of a clay hill deposit.

Logs. The pit kiln inside a house makes me laugh :) No offense, was just visualizing it.

the indoor pit kiln was going to be revolutionary! it turned out to be quite spectacular.

Even the experienced make mistakes.

In the first world I generated in B79 I didn't find trees or clay until the third day. I turned the difficulty down to Peaceful that first night, but since then I've had some thoughts and seen some ideas in videos.

Dig into a clay cliff. Clay won't burn and won't fall down on you.

Thatch can be used as a bracing material for gravity blocks. So, for example, you can build a 7x7 house of thatch blocks, then build a 5x5 house of dirt walls inside that by placing the dirt first at the inside corners where it's "braced" by two thatch blocks, then working towards the middle. This leaves you with non-flammable blocks on the interior wall.

Dig your pit kiln deep. If your roof is seven blocks above the pit kiln (i.e., six blocks above the pit kiln's fire) in the 3x3 area around it, then you can build it out of anything. For example, this pit kiln is three blocks deeper than normal, with a dirt staircase, and the roof a little higher in the 3x3 area around the pit kiln (not all shown):

Posted Image

Be careful of placing other flammable blocks in the house though.

But yeah, building a pit kiln is basically building a small bonfire -- not something you usually do inside your house.

Thatch can be used as a bracing material for gravity blocks. So, for example, you can build a 7x7 house of thatch blocks, then build a 5x5 house of dirt walls inside that by placing the dirt first at the inside corners where it's "braced" by two thatch blocks, then working towards the middle. This leaves you with non-flammable blocks on the interior wall.

Oh my gosh, that's thinking with your head. Never would have thought of that.

Oh my gosh, that's thinking with your head. Never would have thought of that.

This guy did. I just went to Peaceful. : )

i just dug into the first clay deposit i found and made a small hallway in the back for pit kilns so they were away from my stuff or setting myself on fire by being a derp >.>

Cobblestone walls is a very good material for house at start.

If you haven't seen Episode 2 of Dunks new B79 LP series even he almost burned down his starter hut.

If you haven't seen Episode 2 of Dunks new B79 LP series even he almost burned down his starter hut.

He almost burned down his starter hut in the B78 LP series he did as well, haha.

He almost burned down his starter hut in the B78 LP series he did as well, haha.

The 78 fire was especially hilarious because Dunk apparently had no idea that we had released the thatch burning change. XD

This is the home I built on the first day in my current world:

Posted Image

This is built and tore down very quickly, and without the thatch roof (which I made like this just for aesthetic reasons) it only needs 14 dirt/sand/other cheap blocks and only 8 logs, plus 2 solid blocks as a door.

Like this:

XXX
X   X
X F X
X   X
 XDX

LXL
L   L
X   X
L   L
 LDL

X=Dirt, L=Logpiles, D=Door, (F=Firepit, optional)

The base is made completely out of dirt, and the second layer is logpiles at all corners and dirt in between. I don't worry too much that spiders can climb in - as long as you stay inside and they don't see you, they won't come after you.

What do you think?

That's basically what I do, rather did, for my starter house, having log piles for walls is nice because its storage and protection in one.

I use sand supported by logs, with a thatch roof.

Logs are easy enough to gather, and sand is very easy to gather, and thatch is even easier. Plus, sand looks very nice as walls.(in my opinion anyways)

But if there is a fire.... the sand crumbles down, destroying every non-solid block in it's patch, and the rest burns, meaning very little remains salvageable.

I lost pretty much all my stuff on a server I play on when some idiots not-so-smart people made a charcoal pit next to my house. 

It kinda sucks when you come back on the server and find your house ruined with a nice pile of charcoal sitting next to it.

On the plus side, it makes a very nice ruined house. If I didn't need a place to stay, I would have kept it like that.

Seriously

My starter shack is entirely dirt.

Find a flat area.

Place a single wall layer of dirt, I usually enclose a 3x5 living space (20 perimeter dirt blocks total)

Dig a 1 deep trench around the outside of your wall.

Profit

Now mobs fall down 1 level and are faced with a 2 high dirt wall. Player can easily jump over the trench and into the house. If there are skeletons, dig the interior down 1 or 2 to break los, leaving steps to get out on one side. Lose spiders before running home at night or just kill them as they try to climb over. Rare event. Don't roof it, or just roof one corner high up to block rain over a pit kiln. If you dig wisely, you can build the walls from your trench and interior dirt without them falling down.

Can be built in 1 minute. Less for smaller footprint. Usually lasts me until I have full copper tools and design a house as a break from mining.

My starter shack is entirely dirt.Find a flat area.Place a single wall layer of dirt, I usually enclose a 3x5 living space (20 perimeter dirt blocks total)Dig a 1 deep trench around the outside of your wall.ProfitNow mobs fall down 1 level and are faced with a 2 high dirt wall. Player can easily jump over the trench and into the house. If there are skeletons, dig the interior down 1 or 2 to break los, leaving steps to get out on one side. Lose spiders before running home at night or just kill them as they try to climb over. Rare event. Don't roof it, or just roof one corner high up to block rain over a pit kiln. If you dig wisely, you can build the walls from your trench and interior dirt without them falling down.Can be built in 1 minute. Less for smaller footprint. Usually lasts me until I have full copper tools and design a house as a break from mining.

If you don't need much space, do this around a tree. Spiders can't enter as there is no free 2x2 hole.

OR Just make the entire inner just 1 block wide.

In addition, mobs can walk through thatch but they can't see through it, so they won't approach for as long as you are not visible to them.

My first house was a thatch house, i could walk in/out whereever i wanted, monsters didnt enter.

Edit:

Upon further fooling around, the easiest way to make a somewhat decent shelter out of the least material would be placing 9 logs on the ground, 3x3, then go next to the side and dig down 2, clear one layer of blocks under the logs and dig a "cross" under that. Now you have 4 corner-tables, one entrance, a spot for a fireplace in the middle and lots of space to put stuff.

But to be perfectly honest with you, why bother with this super simplistic stuff ? Just cut down 5 large trees, get some sand from the beach and build a log hut with glass windows. Yes, a campfire + log is enough to turn sand into glass. A cobble floor is also no big deal and that would be a good hut/house that will last for a long time and there is no real need for an upgrade unless for the looks or if you need more space.

...Yes, a campfire + log is enough to turn sand into glass. ...

W...what?

I find the essential patch of clay. Then dig under it since clay blocks do not obey gravity.

I spent quite a lot of time (several in-game months) in a tiny hole with a log pile roof. I digged a one block deep hole at first and filled it with log piles, then digged under the piles. Nothing fancy, and I guess it would cave-in if I made it bigger, but it did serve for a while. Also it's practical - you can store logs that way, and can load the piles without even entering the "house", from the top.