Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
GreenLeaf

make bushes.. unpickupable?

41 posts in this topic

Shoot me if this has been suggested before.

Something just struck me as i was filling my inventory with bush.. heh.. bush...

Why can i pick up an entire bush, carry it to my house and plomp it down again without any trouble? it seems waaay too easy.

I mean the whole lifestyle of the average stone age person would've revolved around scavenging the land for its berries and nuts and roots and little critters and all that kind of crap.

But lets stay at berries for now. i propose that you deny us from picking that bush up. if we want berries we're gonna have to get out there and find the suckers. not just poke our heads out the door and grab all we want.

Either you make them destroyable like leaves which would force you to go out into the big scary woods risking your life for a handful of berries.

or you atleast allow us to plant them by seed so we can make some pretty (and augh so convenient) berry hedges.

how does that sound?

I remember it saying somewhere that they didn't want to make berries cultavatable. Can't quite remember where, unfortunately.

To the average Terrafirmacraft player, this sounds like utter heresy. 

BUTI can completely understand where you're coming from in this, and I would like to see something like this within the game. There somewhat is, with the fruit trees, however they are so rare, and the bushes are a perfect counterpart for the colder biome.I can see this being a complimentary part of the game, both from a survival aspect, and from an environmental aspect. Bushes have always just been "another type of crop", so making them stationary, at least for some of the game would make them more important, and also an incentive to settle near a patch of them.So I fully approve of making them stationary, at least until something along the line of shears are aquired

I remember it saying somewhere that they didn't want to make berries cultavatable. Can't quite remember where, unfortunately.

And i can agree with that if they said so! i would prefer if you simply couldn't move the bushes anywhere at all! let them stay where they are. it gives me a reason to exercise..

I'm just writing up berry bush seeds as a suggestion as well because i know people are gonna be all "but i waaaant to move bushes around!"

All i want is to make bush moving impossible or at the very least not quite as easy as it is right now!

A compromise could be that you can only be able to pick up bushes if you have a high enough agriculture level.

A compromise could be that you can only be able to pick up bushes if you have a high enough agriculture level.

This is a good compromise if it can be done!

I'm not entirely against this idea, but there's definitely a few quirks that need ironing out. I'm just brainstorming, so pardon the random thoughts.

1. The breaking of the berry bush and getting the block can be related to somebody digging up a bush for transplant. There was a recent change that berry bushes can now only be placed on grass blocks, so there is at least that small limitation. Perhaps a change that breaking the bush itself destroys it, but breaking the block underneath will drop the bush. Berry bushes do still have the climate restrictions on them for fruiting, so there is that as well.

2. Berry bushes intentionally don't "grow." What you find in the world is what you get. Some berry bushes are also commonly found in the wild as more than one block tall. In order to simulate this with the use of seeds, we would have to make it so that you can get multiple bushes from a single seed as it grows taller.

3. Completely off topic, but after the addition of berry bushes, I see how ridiculously OP fruit trees are in comparison since they supply fruit every random tick they are in season. Methinks fruit trees should be nerfed to supply fruit once a month like berry bushes.

In the real world many berry bushes grow in very large clumps, which increase in size season to season. Especially if this is encouraged by people. The reason communities would travel or even relocate for them was that they were a large predictable source of food. A berry patch could support multiple bears preparing for hibernation. I'm all for new mechanic, but not if they make a resource pointless. In my current world I have few berry plants and they make up a very small amount of my fruit consumed. If I was forced to trek to all the locations they grew for a small handful I won't bother.

I'm not entirely against this idea, but there's definitely a few quirks that need ironing out. I'm just brainstorming, so pardon the random thoughts.

1. The breaking of the berry bush and getting the block can be related to somebody digging up a bush for transplant. There was a recent change that berry bushes can now only be placed on grass blocks, so there is at least that small limitation. Perhaps a change that breaking the bush itself destroys it, but breaking the block underneath will drop the bush. Berry bushes do still have the climate restrictions on them for fruiting, so there is that as well.

2. Berry bushes intentionally don't "grow." What you find in the world is what you get. Some berry bushes are also commonly found in the wild as more than one block tall. In order to simulate this with the use of seeds, we would have to make it so that you can get multiple bushes from a single seed as it grows taller.

3. Completely off topic, but after the addition of berry bushes, I see how ridiculously OP fruit trees are in comparison since they supply fruit every random tick they are in season. Methinks fruit trees should be nerfed to supply fruit once a month like berry bushes.

digging up bushes could work too. i do like Regnilse idea of requiring a high enough agriculture level! maybe the two can meet up sometime!

If we're gonna be carrying around a forest worth of berry bush it must take a lot more effort and time.

and yes. i have a loooooot of fruit. nerf plz?

In the real world many berry bushes grow in very large clumps, which increase in size season to season. Especially if this is encouraged by people. The reason communities would travel or even relocate for them was that they were a large predictable source of food. A berry patch could support multiple bears preparing for hibernation. I'm all for new mechanic, but not if they make a resource pointless. In my current world I have few berry plants and they make up a very small amount of my fruit consumed. If I was forced to trek to all the locations they grew for a small handful I won't bother.

the thing about berries, the way i see it, is that they're travel food!

i wouldn't travel far and wide for the berries themselves! they're there as a good quick source of food while i'm on my way to that copper vein waaay over there.

last summer i went trail hiking and i ate so much blue berries it wasn't even funny. but they kept me well energized until i got to a place where i could cook real food.

I really want to talk further on how i think berries are a little too filling for something so small but ehh it's 3 o'clock at night.

how about the idea of being able to gather a trimming of the bush that you can later plant instead of seeds? (like planting a sapling) You'd have to cut part of the bush to get the trimming, but if you just break the block that's it, you break it, it's gone.

Tho i can say that finding fruit took me forever in my current world and when i found a fruit tree i just moved my base to the tree's area (because obviously fruit didn't grow in the climate i was living in at the time) and planted my few bushes near the tree

I have personally transplanted various bushes and small trees, IRL. Dig them up and stick them in the new hole where you want them. When you go to the the nursery they sell you a blueberry bush not a seed. Moving berry bushes is one of the most realistic and believable actions in TFC.

the thing about berries, the way i see it, is that they're travel food!

i wouldn't travel far and wide for the berries themselves! they're there as a good quick source of food while i'm on my way to that copper vein waaay over there.

last summer i went trail hiking and i ate so much blue berries it wasn't even funny. but they kept me well energized until i got to a place where i could cook real food.

I really want to talk further on how i think berries are a little too filling for something so small but ehh it's 3 o'clock at night.

But that is not how they were used historically. They were an important staple of the diet, because they knew when and where they would be. Their importance continued and even now are important food stuff. My father grew up on a farm in Northern Ontario and the wild berries and cultivated berries were an important food stuff. The harvesting and preserving of the berries took valuable time and would not have been done if it wasn't important. The climate didn't support a great deal of fruit and they did not have the space or ability to have large orchards. Berry bushes are hardy, low maintenance and produce an impressive amount of food. But that is RL in TFC, mechanic for cultivating, yay. Unpickable without greatly increasing their spawn rate and clump size, no thanks.

As for your, they are too small to be filling.  Well the stacks are by weight, so be it a few steaks or a large number of berries. 160oz is 160oz.

Berry bushes should be balanced with fruit trees. How exactly you want to do that is up to you. But I think you are right about the once a month change

I have personally transplanted various bushes and small trees, IRL. Dig them up and stick them in the new hole where you want them. When you go to the the nursery they sell you a blueberry bush not a seed. Moving berry bushes is one of the most realistic and believable actions in TFC.

If the bushes had no seeds, then there would be no way the nursery could get you that berry bush

I never realised they fruited every random tick! I assumed you got 1 harvest per year! Which is why I have so many fruit trees in my orchard. Is that new? or have they always done that?

I never realised they fruited every random tick! I assumed you got 1 harvest per year! Which is why I have so many fruit trees in my orchard. Is that new? or have they always done that?

Fruit trees have always provided food every random tick that they get while they are in season.

If the bushes had no seeds, then there would be no way the nursery could get you that berry bush

Hahahahahahaa, I wasn't suggesting that bushes do not produce or come from seeds...  I was trying to make the point that transporting an entire bush to a new location in by no means a new or rare thing. Only the most hardcore gardeners would bother starting a bush from seed.

Even mature Rhododendron and other large bushes are occasionally up for grabs when someone decides to change their landscaping or do some construction or sell a home.

But that is not how they were used historically. They were an important staple of the diet, because they knew when and where they would be. Their importance continued and even now are important food stuff. My father grew up on a farm in Northern Ontario and the wild berries and cultivated berries were an important food stuff. The harvesting and preserving of the berries took valuable time and would not have been done if it wasn't important. The climate didn't support a great deal of fruit and they did not have the space or ability to have large orchards. Berry bushes are hardy, low maintenance and produce an impressive amount of food. But that is RL in TFC, mechanic for cultivating, yay. Unpickable without greatly increasing their spawn rate and clump size, no thanks.

As for your, they are too small to be filling.  Well the stacks are by weight, so be it a few steaks or a large number of berries. 160oz is 160oz.

The whole point of this suggestion is to enhance the hunter gatherer life style of the early cave man. it's to prevent cave man steve from sitting comfortably in his cave eating berries he grew right outside the cave opening and force his blocky arse out into the woods and treck far and wide in search of food. There's already a whole lot of walking to be done in TFC so you're bound to find berries on the way. thus they're travel food.

The historical man may have settled down close to berries but the TFC Steve settles down near copper ore, so there's that.

Like Regnilse and Kitty said earlier, bush moving could be compromised as to being done only by digging the whole thing up and/or requiring a certain amount of skillz to not destroy the thing.

I wouldn't mind having this be the case all the way up into blue steel age (just something about berry picking that i enjoy) but obviously as Steve cultivates fruit trees and lays out 30X30 wheat fields he could very well have figured out how to move that damn bush closer to his home.

Oh and i may have misspoke on the filling thing. what i meant to say was that one bush yields too much berries. i find one patch of berries and woops i got two stacks of berries that will feed me for several days. tell me it's perfectly viable in real life all you want, it still strikes me as a little over powered in game.

I'd like something like break a bush, get 0~1 sapling or something that say, takes around a few months to grow into a bush and start popping out berries, the chance of getting a sapling and not killing the bush getting higher with your agriculture level.

I say 0~1, because that would keep berry bushes non-growable/multiply-able, and I frankly like it that way.

More brainstorming on collecting the bushes. What if you had to dig up the block beneath the bush to collect it, but required the skill level to place it. By that way you wouldn't need to keep track of where you found the bush and have to go back when you get your skill up, you could just keep it in a chest till then (yes magic bush living in a chest for a year but you can do that now). It would also be advantageous to leave nearby bushes because you could harvest them while your skill is low, providing the foraging GreenLeaf is looking for. 

While I am saddened by the imminent nerfing of fruit trees I can see where your coming from, I would also not be all that upset if it were changed to once a year.

Maybe a compromise would be to have seeds that can be planted, seeds would be a byproduct of eating or making a meal out of fruits. Also even with the seeds we should still be able to transplant bushes. but only on certain seasons, so if you try to pull out a bush in the middle of the winter it would just die. The concept of seeds is not to make obtaining fruits and berries easier, it actually would make it more believable and balanced.

Fruits are way too op right now. by the end of the first year I usually have several fruit trees and enough berries  to feed a village.

I'm all for the ideas of regrowing bushes with berries and up rooting bushes by digging up the dirt block below it.

Time specific transplants sounds interesting, but from what I've seen is seems like the devs don't want bushes to be reproducible.

I think it would be interesting and believable enough if we could harvest berries only with shears. It would mean moving of berries untill iron age, and i think would be fairly easy to code. Season-specific harvesting sounds interesting as well, but i think it should be temperature-specific, and could only affect planting. S you can harvest them if you're exploring during winter, but you won't plant them untill spring (5°C seems believable enough for me) and if you live in warmer place you will be able to do it earlier.

Using shears to harvest seems way to restrictive and its not believable. Season dependent placing however does sound good, much better than season dependent removal.  But I think only one restriction, whether it be a skill requirement or a season requirement, is necissary.