Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Trenix

Dinner Table: New Saturation Mechanic

24 posts in this topic

New Blocks: Table, Chair
New Items: (Ceramic/Metal) Forks, Spoons, Plates, Cup, Ect.

I'm hoping meals could still fit into this somehow, though they should not provide saturation anymore.

Storage: Setting the Table

The table would act like a storage which would only be able to hold utensils, like for example bowls, spoons, forks, and plates. These utensils would be visible on the table without having to check the table's inventory.

Saturation System

Utensils are the items that are linked to the additional amount of saturation you receive from eating foods. The more and better utensils you have on your table, the more saturation you will get. However, in order to receive that additional saturation you will need to eat your food while sitting on a chair that's next to that table. A table with no utensils would provide you no additional saturation, as would just sitting on a chair with no table. As you eat at your dinner table, your utensils would lose durability and will eventually break, requiring you to make more in order to continue receiving extra saturation from your foods.

Reason for System

• Gives us more things to craft and manage.
  • Gives us a reason to have tables and chairs which are aesthetically appealing.
  • Rewards you for eating properly in your own home rather than snacking on foods on the go.

Erm ... I don't like outright bashing new ideas, but really can't see any logic here.

No saturation except from eating with a table on a chair with several utensils?!

Aside from not being believable at all, it would really hurt gameplay too. This would greatly discourage anyone from travelling/exploring! Either you starve to death (well, not in B79), or you bring your whole dining room with you wherever you go??

Or am I missing the point here completely and should go practice my english?

At least as I understand this, it doesn't make any sense at all.

[Edit:] Tables and chairs would be a nice aesthetical addition to our homes though ...

This suggestion was partially taken from Haven & Hearth's mechanic and it was extremely fun. If you want a chair or a table to be useful other than just for an aesthetic purpose, this is how you go about doing it. The idea is not to discourage you from exploring, it's just meant for you to eat more efficiently. It is very much believable too, eating while doing something isn't very efficient, because that distraction can cause you to overeat. This system would do the exact same thing. If you don't eat at the table like a normal human being, eating won't feel very filling. In return, this would require you to carry around foods to snack on, ultimately not putting them into good use, and always having that wasted inventory space. However, eating at the dinner table will be very filling, allowing you to go on adventures without the need of foods to snack on altogether.Also you certainly would not be taking your table, chair, and all your utensils around with you. That's a whole lot of valuables that you're putting at risk and it'll take up most of you inventory space just for it to even be possible. It wont be an efficient, therefore it wouldn't be worth it. It'll actually be more efficient just taking snacks along with you rather than attempting to exploit this system.

So, let me get this right: You are saying that if your journey takes longer than you have planned (a VERY likely possibility in a exploring-heavy game like TFC), you'd have to starve to death inmidst a field of nice ripe tomatoes?

Sorry, still makes no sense ...

So, let me get this right: You are saying that if your journey takes longer than you have planned (a VERY likely possibility in a exploring-heavy game like TFC), you'd have to starve to death inmidst a field of nice ripe tomatoes?Sorry, still makes no sense ...

Sorry, I think I worded something incorrectly. In order to eat you're not required to use a table and chair. You can still eat without a table and chair, but the food wouldn't be very filling. Even right now with our current system, food that's eaten by itself isn't very saturating, it's better off being converted into a meal and then heated.

But you can do this in the wild with a campfire. You can still take your time eating in the wilderness without doing something else, which would "feel" filling enough, according to your theory. By the way, I don't think saturation of an organism has much to do with "feelings" anyway ...

I like it as it is.

I also like it as it is. It makes cooking and finding recopies that you "enjoy" worth something.

Aesthetic blocks would be nice.

The real problem with this idea is you are trying to make a mechanic that forces people to make aesthetic builds

The additions themselves are fine. People might want to have such aesthetic options for them to use if they want to.

There is no rational reason for your mechanic to work. You gain saturation based off of something that should have a social effect rather than mechanical benefit

Basically you are doing what the devs did with the tool rack/ingot piles. You have a idea you think is cool, and you want to force players to use it instead of trying to convince players to voluntarily use it

Remember if your aesthetic addition is appealing, many players will voluntarily use it

I like the idea of a dinner table. I don't want to HAVE to use it, but I also don't want it to be 100% aesthetics. Maybe it could give a small enough of a bonus to make people want to use it for the bonus (Either better saturation, or perhaps a 'mood' to make you want to work faster, harder, and smarter too!), while also not requiring people to change their way of playing the game in case they are allergic to tables or something.

I've always thought Minecraft had a lack for rooms. You can literally get away with a single room for the entire game, and never have to expand. One room was enough for a workbench, your furnace, a few chests, and you're done. I like how Terrafirma has changed that. With all these pot, I tend to lay them around on tables and such, I also have to have a blacksmithing area, maybe a garden shed, and a few other areas I might get to later on one I advance. But I also like the idea of a dining too. Making one Just for that small extra bonus is a good enough reason for me.

(Just as a note, I don't think this new mechanic should change anything already added, just a extra enhancement to what we already have.)

I like the idea of having to take the time to eat, to get a good saturation.Snack all day VS Eat once a day at the table.But not take it wrong, it generates a lot of constraint.I suggest :The "Table" is only a block with a "Meals"But the block can be chiseled.Forget utensils, but the knife may appear on the table, to make pretty.We can sit on the floor or anywhere.You can make your own chair, TFC provides the tools for that.- Be sitting, add 1/2 day of saturation- Eat close to table or firepit, add 1/2 day of saturation.---User caseIt's morning, you get up from your bed, you sit at your table and eat for the day.It is evening, you sit at the table and eat for the night.You travel, you sit down on the floor close your firepit and eat for the day.

Its a good idea that I hope the devs see. Sure, it needs dome cllarity and refining but i'd welcome this in my TFC worrld.

I like the idea of having a functional dinner table and eating utensils. The difference is between eating at a dinner table, or eating a sandwich while driving your car at the same time. There are a lot of researching proving that people who take the time to eat at the dinner table are healthier, they chew more times, and overall take more nutrients from the same food. How you eat matters. So I think having a dinner table in your house would be a great addition to the food system. Off course we should keep the meals and sandwiches that we have now so we can use while away from home. They just would not be as satisfying as the dinner table. Although as we add more and more to the game, the day is already short, maybe is past time we increase day duration to accommodate all we need to do in a single day. between lighting torches, feeding animals, and all the chores around the house who has the time to sit and eat at the table?

So I say lets have the dinner table and if the argument is one more thing to take time, lets just increase day duration, maybe double it.  

I like the idea of having a functional dinner table and eating utensils. The difference is between eating at a dinner table, or eating a sandwich while driving your car at the same time. There are a lot of researching proving that people who take the time to eat at the dinner table are healthier, they chew more times, and overall take more nutrients from the same food. How you eat matters. So I think having a dinner table in your house would be a great addition to the food system. Off course we should keep the meals and sandwiches that we have now so we can use while away from home. They just would not be as satisfying as the dinner table. Although as we add more and more to the game, the day is already short, maybe is past time we increase day duration to accommodate all we need to do in a single day. between lighting torches, feeding animals, and all the chores around the house who has the time to sit and eat at the table?

So I say lets have the dinner table and if the argument is one more thing to take time, lets just increase day duration, maybe double it.  

Increasing day duration is not possible with the current game engine and how TFC calculates time. Implementing this would pretty much require a very large rewrite of the majority of the code.

Increasing day duration is not possible with the current game engine and how TFC calculates time. Implementing this would pretty much require a very large rewrite of the majority of the code.

That's a real shame - I have always felt that the days are insanely short, even in vanilla minecraft. 10 minutes daytime is ridiculous. Often I just make a few everyday chores and it's already starting to get dark again before I even get to what I was really planning for the day...I still think, this should be considered for a later major build!

I get the point. I've always thought it was so weird that steve spills so much while eating.

Needing proper utensils to eat all the food without spilling them everywhere, and therefor getting a bigger saturation sounds nice.

But there should be 'on the go' foods we can eat out in the wild, without needing utensils, or carry able utensils that give enough saturation to not have you eating all the time.

That, and even foods eaten without a table and all that should give enough saturation so you're not forced to be shoving your face with food every five steps.

It would also be nice if the table allowed you to eat multiple foods in one setting, like you can get yourself a steak, eggs, bread, cheese, tomatoes, and an apple, put them on your plate, and eat them like that without a need for sandwiches or salads, which can get annoying, since you can't trim rot or combine them.

It won't be something necessary, but something that gives you a nice bonus for sitting down and eating a meal, like, you can either walk around the place with a sandwich, eating every so often, or eat at the table and be full for a good part of the day.

I also agree with the day part, time goes by too fast. However in Minecraft I always despised the night and it’s mainly due to the mobs which are more annoying than they are challenging. There really is a big difference between the two. When people wanted survival mode to be more difficult, they didn’t mean making hostile mobs overly intelligent and strong. The night time should be awesome, because that’s when your light sources come to life.

I also agree about the time of day. It really bums me that nothing can be done about it without a ton of work, but I think it would lead to great things in the future. If you made every task take a little longer, and increase the days to last a lot longer, I think having multiple people in a world would mean a lot more. Everything would still be possible for one person... but it would feel more right if you had the chance to see the farmer wake up in the morning, and start farming until night.... I personally take a LOOOONG time to go out hunting and exploring, and by the time it starts to turn night, I know it's too late to build a house. I end up looking at the sun the whole time, and wait until it's mid-day, then I chop down a ton of trees and build a house at the last second, as I only have 5 more minutes to complete it.

I really hope you reconsider the time... rewriting a bit of the code in a bunch of areas to all follow a simple script will be able to make it editable in the future. You can then edit said script whenever you want if you want to increase/decrease time. It could then also be an in-game option, or world creation option, that would allow players to have REAAAALLLYYY long days, or days/nights that literally last seconds (For those maniacs!)

I wouldn't go as far as allowing people to make the nights almost non-existent like in your example, I think the nights should last as long as the days, only much longer than it is now. I would settle for 20-30 minutes for night and day each.

A further step would be to make the duration of day and night dependible on seasons, but that would really be insane to code I guess. But Dunk made the whole world's climate to depend on a tilt like the real world; who's to say what's possible or not ;)

But please, dear Devs, say that you at least consider to do some changes of day length some time in the future!

There is always such an urge and stress to get something done before it goes dark (and that's not a good thing for me!); sometimes I'd just like to sit and relax and enjoy the scenery. That just isn't possible now without wasting a whole day!

A quick look on the net show that there are mods and plugins that make the day longer, so it's not impossible. 

TimeScaler is one of them see here . It has not been updated to 1.7.10. I have no idea how a mod like that would mess with TFC witch is why I think  it need s to be added by TFC itself. Off course with so many things that are controled by time, like charcoal burning and barrels I understand that it would require some coding to do the change.

A quick look on the net show that there are mods and plugins that make the day longer, so it's not impossible. TimeScaler is one of them see here . It has not been updated to 1.7.10. I have no idea how a mod like that would mess with TFC witch is why I think it need s to be added by TFC itself. Off course with so many things that are controled by time, like charcoal burning and barrels I understand that it would require some coding to do the change.

As Kitty stated above, directly messing with times would greatly temper with TFC code, and I guess things like crop growth, fruit trees, barrel processing, pit kilns etc. won't work correctly anymore, if they work at all.If it was that simple, they would have done that much earlier ...I understand that this would mean massive work, possibly even more than converting the whole code to a newer minecraft build.But I think, if they do it one day, the deepest thanks of 99% of the whole TFC community would rest on their shoulders :)

Not sure if this is possible, but what if you could manipulate the code to slow the time lapse, rather than increase the length of the day. Our day cycle wouldn’t be longer, they’d be simply slowed, making them seem longer. It’ll be the same effect but hopefully wouldn’t affect the entire code, just an idea. Like I said, I don’t know if that’s possible.

That is akin to playing on a server with 10 TPS.

That is akin to playing on a server with 10 TPS.

Well no because as I remember the game runs on ticks and each day has a certain amount of ticks. So if the ticks were somehow slowed, it really shouldn't affect our game play, only the day cycle. Lets say each tick in the game is a second, what if that was increased to 1.10 seconds? Days would become longer, right?

I was suggesting making a very base number everything is multiplied by. You make it so time, seasons, crops, mining speed, all of those are multiplied by this one number. By default, it's set to 1... so everything is multiplied by one, equaling the same number, and thus no change. If you were to increase said number (As in, in a config file) to something like 1.5, or 2, or 0.5, you would effectively change the speed of the day/night cycle, without messing with a single mechanic. The problem Kitty was saying, is probably the fact that they aren't set up for that. I don't believe it would take very long to add in a simple code to multiply them all by x value. The problem might just be missing one, and seeing your crops finish sooner than you expected, or charcoal finishing before the day is over.