Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dawnwraith

Fireflies

4 posts in this topic

I was wondering about fireflies in the game as a light source?

Example:

You need a net to catch them. (Made out of string and jute?)

You need to make a firefly jar using glass and lead. (Maybe fire lead to liquid, and instead of an ingot mold, you put in a piece of glass?)

The flies die after a certain amount of days, maybe longer than a torch. 

The firefly jar gives off less light than a torch. 

The flies are only found in certain places during spring and summer. 

I do not know how hard this would be to code. I have not seen any threads about natural spawing light sources like insects, most people have asked for perma lights such as lamps and lanterns. 

For servers there could be a config that can be changed to increase or decrease the spawn depending on how the server owner wants it?

This would not break the current rule on torches going out after a certain time, but would allow players to leave a jar in their house when they are away for long periods of time. When they come back they will still have a light source and can then set about firing up all their torches. 

Dawn

Ps. The idea comes from fishing, where a jar full of fireflies used to be hung over the water to attract fish when the fishermen are out at night. This made them easy to snare with a net or with the use of tamed birds. 

I like the idea.But it will not be very effective.http://www.design.philips.com/philips/sites/philipsdesign/about/design/designportfolio/design_futures/bio_light.page

This light use the bacteria, but, is just a ambient light (green).10 firefly ~ 1 candle500 firefly ~ 1 light bulb

And the light is only green or blue.But, the firefly in the nature, and in the cave, would be really nice.

If anything it would add a whole lot of atmoshpere!

I know that in the Conquest texture pack there's an animated retexture of the web block that makes it look like flies flying around.

I'm certain that if you coded the same kind of block, gave it an animated texture of fireflies, waved a magic wand around, mumbled some unholy words and wrote some code for it, you could totally make that block emit light too!

it would look cool as hell during night.

wierd during the day though....

Its application to lightning is indeed questionable, maybe, the fishing-at-night aspect would be practical given fishing be given rewarding incentives. However, the prospects of its application to the game environment is quite nice. Just visualize how the night-time world would look alive!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0