Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trenix

Torch Improvements

17 posts in this topic

So recently there was a change in torches where they would burn out eventually, which is great. However the feature can use some future balancing and polishing...Change Torch RecipeInstead of putting one stick at a time into the fire pit to create two torches, how about we simply shift right click a fire pit, forge, or torch while holding a stick and having it give us two torches? It'll be less tedious and more convenient. Right clicking a stick on a torch should instead create two torches now, rather than one.Lighting Unlit Torches with ToolsWhile this is already possible by using a lit torch, you should additionally be able to light an unlit torch with either a firestarter or flint & steel. This is something I attempted, thinking it was already possible. The probability should be the same as starting up a fire pit.Unlit Torch ItemIn order to save your torches without having them magically disappear, it would be nice if when you broke an unlit torch, it would drop as an item. Actually thought this was also possible and ended up wasted resources because of it.Inventory Torches Should BurnoutWould be nice if you could somehow give a timer for each torch, where they could eventually burnout in your inventory after 48 hours, making them become an unlit torch. Though I have a feeling that this may be too complicated to implement.

The way you could re-light torches by right clicking a firepit could be the convenient method for a life-time inventory torches mechanism.

Very nice!

Not bad,

1. Its not really hurting anyone so its not a big deal to me.

2. Yes and Yes

3. That would be ok, although I could imagine the torch would be to burnt to get a full stick back, then again what are you relighting.

4, Balance wise its seems alright but I'm not sure if its worth doing.

5, that just seems to much. if you had a full inventory and your torches turned they would be popping out of you and if you didnt notice you would run out of torches.

5, that just seems to much. if you had a full inventory and your torches turned they would be popping out of you and if you didnt notice you would run out of torches.

well, not if you implement a special slot for. (like quiver)

but ya.....

Remember this is a game and tedium is not fun. The idea behind the torch change was to eliminate the torch forests that inevitably grow as a result of playing. Personally I think the mechanic is balanced and works as intended though I would have preferred there to be a long term lighting solution (lamp) present as well.

yeah, I'm more waiting for a permanent light source that anything else.

But I like the idea that you don't LOSE the stick when an unlit torch is broke.

yeah, I'm more waiting for a permanent light source that anything else.

But I like the idea that you don't LOSE the stick when an unlit torch is broke.

You do know that you can relight the torch with another torch and break it to get the original torch back, right? You never loose a torch that is burnt out if you light it again before breaking it.

You do know that you can relight the torch with another torch and break it to get the original torch back, right? You never loose a torch that is burnt out if you light it again before breaking it.

That's a workaround, you're doing nothing besides manipulating the mechanic. A polished game shouldn't be easily manipulated nor rely on workarounds, kind of ridiculous that we must light the torch before we can pick it up again otherwise it'll just vanish. Better off just dropping us a lit torch to eliminate that tedious and unnecessary process. Also what if I accidentally broke an unlit torch? I've now just wasted material.

Guys, there's really no lack of sticks in TFC! There are threads sprouting recently that suggest more uses for sticks, because they don't know what to do with the insane amounts of sticks they collected over time!

Wasting material? This is not like making a mistake while smelting valuable metals and lose it in the process. Friends, we're talking about sticks here! You loose a few sticks to burnt out torches? Who cares! Sticks are an infinite, renewable source in TFC and vanilla.

Remove Craft Recipe

Crafting a torch is very tedious right now. LOL ... TFC is sometime a tedious game! You must craft one stick at a time into two torches which is followed by a few second timer within a firepit Use the Forge, Luke! (or how to make 5 set at a time). After seeing how you can just simply use a stick on a lit torch to create another, I quickly realized that it was just more of a convenient process. It's not efficient, but this system was flat out better. So in my opinion, in order to make a torch, you should just simply right click on the firepit while holding a stick I guess you mean shift clicking, on a lit firepit... or even a forge! the Idea is good.. This will mean that you would no longer be able to craft one stick into two torches. I would not call it "crafting"... but well. I don't understand why that would need to be removed, the idea of this cooking system is that you put something on the fire, it's consistent with the mechanism of cooking meat or smelting ore in the past.

Lighting Unlit Torches with Tools

While this is already possible by using a lit torch, you should additionally be able to light an unlit torch with either a firestarter or flint & steel. This is something I attempted, thinking it was already possible. Starting a fire with a firestarter irl is not easy, that's why it take several attempts to lit a firepit. What would be the success rate of lighting the torch with a firestarter? For the flint & steel, as it is considered the "no fail" fire starting system, yes, good idea, but I would not personally use my steel on that.

Unlit Torches Dropping Stick

I've broke a few unlit torches thinking it would at least yield something, unfortunately it didn't and I just wasted material for nothing. Would be nice if at least a stick dropped, it'll make sense with the new way of crafting torches where it consumes and entire stick rather than half a stick. Well, with the overflow of sticks you can run into..... not that much of an issue for me. Do you want the firepit to break into 3 sticks too? And honestly, unlit torch back into a stick? A half burnt piece of wood could then go back to the state you can turn it into a tool handle. I think that relighting the torches is already a good compromise between realism and believably. Why not make it so a re-lit torch can not be taken back.

Replaceable Sticks Which Are Torches

The block version of a stick should be an unlit torch. I don't understand... you want to be able to place sticks like we place torch ... to be able to light them?

Inventory Torches Should Burnout

Would be nice if you could somehow give a timer for each torch, where they could eventually burnout in your inventory after 48 hours, making them become a stick. Though I have a feeling that this may be too complicated to implement. Good idea, but you can not stack torch with different burnout time. And the idea behind the torches burning out is that ... they BURN! So I don't see how you can explain that you burn something and after it come back to it's original state... after 48 hours your torches should turn into ash (I do not want that to be a thing).

I guess you mean shift clicking, on a lit firepit... or even a forge! the Idea is good.

No just simply right clicking and having this work also on a forge would work too.

Starting a fire with a firestarter irl is not easy, that's why it take several attempts to lit a firepit. What would be the success rate of lighting the torch with a firestarter? For the flint & steel, as it is considered the "no fail" fire starting system, yes, good idea, but I would not personally use my steel on that.

It should be the same probability as lighting up a fire pit.

Well, with the overflow of sticks you can run into..... not that much of an issue for me. Do you want the firepit to break into 3 sticks too? And honestly, unlit torch back into a stick? A half burnt piece of wood could then go back to the state you can turn it into a tool handle. I think that relighting the torches is already a good compromise between realism and believably. Why not make it so a re-lit torch can not be taken back.

I see your point. Yeah I'll change my suggestion accordingly.

It should be the same probability as lighting up a fire pit.

You'd really waste two or more sticks just to turn yet another stick into a torch? O.oAnd you were complaining about wasting material?

No just simply right clicking and having this work also on a forge would work too.

If it happen that I have a stick in my hand when I want to open the fire pit or the forge ?

You'd really waste two or more sticks just to turn yet another stick into a torch? O.oAnd you were complaining about wasting material?

Yes because what if all of my torches went out? Now I'm capable of lighting them all up as soon as I get one lit.

If it happen that I have a stick in my hand when I want to open the fire pit or the forge ?

Ok you're right, then shift clicking it is.

Yes because what if all of my torches went out? Now I'm capable of lighting them all up as soon as I get one lit.

I really like your logic and I must say that you just won my vote on this one !

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0