Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KnottyBetaWolf

Grain Preservation

8 posts in this topic

I got to thinking today about grain preservation.  With the new drying racks in Build 79,  how about the creation of noodles?   Break up a 160oz dough into smaller pieces, and hang it on the drying rack.   To reconstitute it and eat it,  put dried noodles, a bucket of salt water and a ceramic bowl together to get a bowl of noodles.  Cook the bowl in a firepit to get a bowl of cooked noodles which are finally edible.  Eat the bowl as is, or put into the cooking table in the salad/meal tab to make meals.

The decay of the dried noodles should be very low.   A sacrifice of the dried noodles is the grain can't be used for feeding animals or crafting into breads,  and also require more work to eventually use.  But it had a very long shelf life and uses resources to be able to make (bowls, yarn to dry)

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

I went on a huge excursion in my SSP world and came back with about 360oz of rye, and 320 of rice. I dont wanna make em into bread yet. So i am putting them in a granary barrel outside to be cooled at night.

Yet, this does nothing.

I have way too much flour/grains!

Interesting, pasta would be a good feature. I approve. Though it should be intuitive, don't want it to a niche skill if implemented.

This seems like a really obvious example of the modern world seemingly overly influencing our conception of things. Noodles aren't dried up just so you can boil them again later. They are made fresh and cooked just like anything else. Dry noodles are simply a thing of convenience- if it comes down to storage, storing grain as it is under the correct conditions would be a hell of a lot more effective, especially considering the amount of effort needed to prepare and make noodles compared to the small benefit. 

Noodle Wiki

In 2002,[6] archaeologists found an earthenware bowl containing the world's oldest known noodles, measured to roughly 4000 years BP through radiocarbon dating, at the Lajia archaeological site along the Yellow River in China.[6][7] The noodles were found well-preserved.[6][8] They were described as resembling the traditional lamian noodle of China, which is made by "repeatedly pulling and stretching the dough by hand."[7] The composition of the oldest noodles was studied by a team of Chinese researchers, who determined the noodles were made from foxtail millet and broomcorn millet.[6][7][8][9]

The earliest written record of noodles is found in a book dated to the Eastern Han period (25–220) of China.[8] Noodles, often made from wheat dough, became a staple food for people of the Han Dynasty (206 BCE - 220 CE).[10] In Tang Dynasty, the noodles were first cut into strips, and in Yuan Dynasty, the making of dried noodles began. It is also noted that the Chinese presented Marco Polo with noodles during his exploration.

The Yuan Dynasty is in the 1200s, which is somewhat in the scope of the mod, but that is in the context of a civilisation and large group of organised settlements. I somehow get the feeling that it's still about convenience, not storage reasons. It would still be preferable to have a better way of storing grain and just make noodles when you're eating them.

All those food topics are a can of worms.

If you want noodles, the next guy wants to use cheese and tomato sauce along with it.

I checked the changelog, and it seems that grains will now decay a lot slower, at the same rate as cheese and eggs, so I guess that's sorta grain preservation?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0