Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saberwulfy

Fishing with spear or net

15 posts in this topic

Nets of jute may be a good way for fishing based at location and seasson.

Throwning a spear or creating 1 stick + knife = fishing spear, at water sources fishables create a chance to make a spear with a fish impaled.

Posted Image

If there were fish mobs that were invulnerable unless attacked by a spear or fished out with a fishing rod, then I would like this idea. However the idea of throwing a spear into empty waters will not only feel odd, but it'll get very boring, very quickly. Also you need to split up your ideas again, a net and a fishing spear are two entirely different suggestions. A fish net would be a lot better though, since you usually throw fish nets without paying attention to where the fish are. That's why they're usually empty when you reel them in.

I would like fishing spears, but do something like have arrows and javelins in water get really slow and/or get a lot of their damage negated, so the fishing spear would the only practical long-ranged weapon underwater. Possibly lower damage out of water or lower durability to make javelins still worth it

As to why you would want a underwater-only long-ranged weapon, simple. Squid hunting.

If there were fish mobs that were invulnerable unless attacked by a spear or fished out with a fishing rod, then I would like this idea. However the idea of throwing a spear into empty waters will not only feel odd, but it'll get very boring, very quickly. Also you need to split up your ideas again, a net and a fishing spear are two entirely different suggestions. A fish net would be a lot better though, since you usually throw fish nets without paying attention to where the fish are. That's why they're usually empty when you reel them in.

A fishing net is more advanced and take a lot of rope, a spear stone age way to fishing and its not 100% fo try, if u want fish fast and dont have a net, use 30 spears and shot fast all on water

I would like fishing spears, but do something like have arrows and javelins in water get really slow and/or get a lot of their damage negated, so the fishing spear would the only practical long-ranged weapon underwater. Possibly lower damage out of water or lower durability to make javelins still worth it

As to why you would want a underwater-only long-ranged weapon, simple. Squid hunting.

A metal hook with a rope can to tow squids for take the loot easy

Spear fishing is already possible in TFC since B79. I have done it several times in my world. You just have to find a Lake Biome, there fish will spawn as actual entities in swarms like squid in the sea. Spear away at them as you like.

the problem i've found is that they usually spawn a bit off shore and rarely moves closer to the beach, meaning that you'll be literally throwing your spears into a lake. and even if you did hit them you'd still end up with a fish item and a spear on the bottom of the lake.

which in hindsight might not sound that serious if it's a tinier shallow lake. but usually for me it's a big ass deep lake.

for spear fishing (and net tossing too) to be a truly viable fishing method there should be a way to attract fish closer to the beach. say if you where to throw in a bait (rotten meat?) to lure fish closer for you to then pluck out with a spear or a net.

I don't think they flee from you which also kinda need to change.

the problem i've found is that they usually spawn a bit off shore and rarely moves closer to the beach, meaning that you'll be literally throwing your spears into a lake. and even if you did hit them you'd still end up with a fish item and a spear on the bottom of the lake.which in hindsight might not sound that serious if it's a tinier shallow lake. but usually for me it's a big ass deep lake.for spear fishing (and net tossing too) to be a truly viable fishing method there should be a way to attract fish closer to the beach. say if you where to throw in a bait (rotten meat?) to lure fish closer for you to then pluck out with a spear or a net.I don't think they flee from you which also kinda need to change.

In my experience they do kinda flee. Try to swim amidst the swarm and see what they do. In my lake they do spawn not too far away from shore and I often succeed chasing them there. If they don't flee by default, just hit them once with a spear without throwing it and they surely do. I really like the new fish and playing with them :)I like the bait idea though, but I would suggest that they are herbivorous and be baited with corn or bread. Yah I know, uses for the otherwise utterly useless zombie flesh ... but who knows, maybe we'll get a nice variety of fish with time ;)

I do enjoy yhe idea of a fishing spear, it would help flesh out the stone and copper ages a lot more. Also, to your thought of a variety of fish, I'm hoping they do catfish. Rotten flesh could be used to attract them, similar to stink bait.

All fishes eat smaller fish. Not such a thing as vegetarian fish. They will eat some vegetables and bread, but not exclusively.

I usually have no problem diving and killing a fish hitting them with my javelin. 

It would be cool to have an actual fish spear, that would use be made when you attach a rope to a javelin. Then you can throw the javelin at the fish and pull back with the rope.

It uses the animation for the javelin when you throw it and hold right click to pull back.

Spear fishing is already possible in TFC since B79. I have done it several times in my world. You just have to find a Lake Biome, there fish will spawn as actual entities in swarms like squid in the sea. Spear away at them as you like.

After reading this and finally finding squid, I was go happy to go spear fishing for some meat. Yet it was really hard since they took many shots from my spear. A successful hit from a spear should kill the squid instantly. It was so difficult killing them, that I didn't even get one! If we're going to have spear fishing, it needs to be easier.

Remember that water slows down your spear, and a squid isn't exactly small. Makes perfect sense that a weak spear made of stone or copper wouldn't nessesarily punch through a squid's rubbery skin.

This is in 1-2 block deep?
More than 2 block deep is preferable to use a knife.

Remember that water slows down your spear, and a squid isn't exactly small. Makes perfect sense that a weak spear made of stone or copper wouldn't nessesarily punch through a squid's rubbery skin.

(without thrown)

Using a spear with metal tip and a rope can be more convenient against this giant squids. Its like lasso any animal, but u will tow to surface and kill

Maybe, this could fix the current fishing. ATM, fishing is a little odd because you can kill fish with a mace. Maybe, if fish could only be hurt by spears (like, they dodge anything else or something) then there would actually be an incentive to make them!

or you just make them flee once you get too close, like, we're talking a meter or two, you should be able to nail them with a spear from 3 meters away!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0