Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Saberwulfy

Simple Lamp

10 posts in this topic

Large clay verssel already exist

String exist

Alcohol exist

so...

A large clay vessel filled with alcohol and sealed with a string may be the first unlit lamp of the game

Alcohol usually burns as a pretty invisible flame, so it would be a very crappy light source.

Alcohol usually burns as a pretty invisible flame, so it would be a very crappy light source.

With a rope and a large clay vessel cant you make a bigger version of this?

Completely different type of alcohol. You would not want to drink any of the suggested fuels listed in that video.

I like the idea, maybe it must be tweaked a bit...

What about having two lamps, a smaller one and a more permanent one?

The smaller one would be crafted with a new kind of clay jug or, even better, with the actual clay jug and some string. This would burn for some (configurable) time like 1-2 months and eventually have a bit weaker light than a torch. The jug should be filled with some oil or special alcohol:

- oil obtained from processing olives in a barrel;

- resin extracted from trees or by having some logs added to a barrel with alcohol (I've done no research on this, just an idea); or

- obtain oil from animal fat.

The more permanent lamp could be crafted using some metal and glass. It would still use the fuel described above and burn significantly longer, eventually for ever or as long as it is filled up.

I haven't spent much time on that idea (yet) since I like the torches... specially when rain really puts them off (Kitty, see my PR [:-))

I actually support the idea of an oil lamp. Something that might last longer than the torch, but needs fuel to refill it. Otherwise, candles would be nice too. 

Well, while we're discussing lamps, again; I'd like to point out that animal fat lights did not produce that much light. A good read might be this paper by the archaeologist Peter Dawson, who points out that animal fat lanters didn't even produce enough light to support sewing. And unless you're sitting beside the thing, it wouldn't be enough light to read by. If we were to translate that into a light value in game, I couldn't see a basic rope and fat lantern producing a light level greater than 5-8, which is about what a redstone torch produces. Torches burn so brightly because the size of the flame is much larger. A tiny little flame on a candle wouldn't stop mobs from spawning.

I know this is a slight violation of the specific knowledge rule, but it should be pretty general knowledge that a candle doesn't actually produce that much light.

Well, while we're discussing lamps, again; I'd like to point out that animal fat lights did not produce that much light. A good read might be this paper by the archaeologist Peter Dawson, who points out that animal fat lanters didn't even produce enough light to support sewing. And unless you're sitting beside the thing, it wouldn't be enough light to read by. If we were to translate that into a light value in game, I couldn't see a basic rope and fat lantern producing a light level greater than 5-8, which is about what a redstone torch produces. Torches burn so brightly because the size of the flame is much larger. A tiny little flame on a candle wouldn't stop mobs from spawning. I know this is a slight violation of the specific knowledge rule, but it should be pretty general knowledge that a candle doesn't actually produce that much light.

but it should also be general knownledge that IRL there are no mobs like Zombies, Skeletons, gigant spiders, ...It is just a game, with some (a lot of) allowances like being able to carry stacks of 32 cubic meter of stone, to carry 64 meter of ladders, to not sleep for months, ...I think that using animal fat for a lamp is as valid and beliable as using 3 sticks to create a firepit.Anyway I won't discuss lamps anymore...

I agree that animal fat lanterns are believable. I disagree that it is believable for such a tiny flame to produce so much light.

Animal fat could be obtain by grinding raw meat then processed in a barrel to obtain animal oil (perhaps less effective than olive oil).

We also could use rotten flesh but need a whole stack of them to get one animal fat.

Add sunflower to get oil from them.