Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
MrBadboy

[Solved] Forge/Player API/Bukkit

10 posts in this topic

Okay, so I'm here today looking for support to answer a few questions about server side plugins/mods.

Many of you know over chiseling besides your normal stairs. Can lead to major issues with lagging. It can get really bad really quick to where the game is unplayable in that region. I'm talking about server side. I've recently run into this problem my self on a server. For many reasons I want to try to see if anything can be done about it.

I'm not in control of the situation so I have no real hold of whats going on be hide the scenes. I've tried talking to the admins about it to see if anything could be changed to fix this issue. I can't say for certainly they understand the situation. How can I explain whats causing the issue, if I'm not even sure.

I do know this much. The last time this happened. Where I wanted to extend my chiseling work way beyond stairs. Which even then having to many of those can cause the same issues. It was when the server admin wanted to change the plugins used by the server to have more mod capability. I believe it was related to a towny plugin they wanted to switch from. All I know is, after the switch, everything went to hell. It was soon after I realized, it was all the chisel work that was causing the issues.

So whats happening be hide the scenes. Which plugins is causing the issue? What can be done about it if anything? It's been such a long time since then and I've completely forgot what was really causing the issue in the first place. Any help or information on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

The server he is referring to is mine.

I personally was having a lot of trouble understanding what he was trying to explain, as it kept reading as "get rid of forge so we can play TFC with less lag cause chiseling".

From what i understand, having too many microblocks in an area causing crashes/lag was just a problem with minecraft/java processing...

I think the change in plugin causing lag would be completely unrelated to the lag caused by the chiseling. The two lag inducing thing then added together to make it so bad.

The way it was been explained to me for 78, which may no longer be correct for 79, was that chiseling greatly increases the number of faces that must be rendered. So a stair would be 8 sides instead of 6. From how it was explained to me when you detail chisel it divides a block into 8x8x8 so 512 blocks to render. So each block detail chiseled greatly increases the amount of render. The same thing occurs in vanilla. This is why cave worlds can be so laggy. The overhead blocks greatly increase the things to render.

TL;DR the plugin is causing independent lag. The detail chiseling adds to rendered block by a huge amount. I don't know of anything to mitigate.

What makes you think that it's a server-side problem? A lot of chiseling work in the region may lead to lag due to light calculations on client side. On my server in such laggy regions (actually chunks, near chunk can be lag-free) I experimented with this and noticed no cpu overload or tps lowering on server side, but my client nearly freezes. To solve this problem you should set SmoothLightning video option to Minimum or turn it off completely.

You guys make good points. The advice is always helpful. I will try to see if it helps. This doesn't address the issue at hand still though. Which plugin would be causing the issue. Like I said, I've seen the effects before and after a certain new plugin was introduced. It's which one is causing the issue. That way, I'd know if anything was possible to go around the issue.

You guys make good points. The advice is always helpful. I will try to see if it helps. This doesn't address the issue at hand still though. Which plugin would be causing the issue. Like I said, I've seen the effects before and after a certain new plugin was introduced. It's which one is causing the issue. That way, I'd know if anything was possible to go around the issue.

---

.... that would be the client plugin you installed, just to be clear. the server is only running forge, TFC, and fastcraft....

Okay, I tried the smoothlighting option. It seemed to to have almost no affect from maximum to off. I can tell it was a bit smoother but besides that, still having issues. With removing and placing blocks. I get a lag spike every time I do those things.

Now I tested this in single player because in MP I get lag spikes just being in the area and the lag spikes placing/removing blocks is much worse. This seems to only have an effect if I'm at least 14-7 blocks close to the area heavily edited. It seems to be a lot more playable in SP. When it comes to MP, its much worse.

I hate wasting peoples time, so. If there's nothing else that can be done about it or anything people are aware of. I guess I'll have to live with it. I just remember it being better in the past. Oh wells.

---

.... that would be the client plugin you installed, just to be clear. the server is only running forge, TFC, and fastcraft....

Other people also have the same issue. Its probably just TFC in general. I will do a fresh install to see if it helps. Probably wont.

Ok so it is very confusing what you are trying to get help with, so I’ll give you some basic information since I think you are misunderstanding a number of things. But first a brief answer. I would bet your entire issue is your machine/connection being unable to deal with the huge load of render you are asking it to render. Whether this is in SMP or SSP a large amount of detail chisel blocks would crash you. No plugin is causing your issues and it is not the servers fault. The only reason that it is worse on SMP compared to SSP is that the information has to come via internet that adds just that little bit more latency. 

First Client FPS is not the same as server TPS. Are you having FPS issues or server lag issue. You can be on a server running perfectly and have single digit FPS. Your FPS is entirely your machine and its ability to process the world your client is trying to load. It has nothing to do with server. The server TPS does obviously effect you. You will see chat, block and movement lag. However your FPS will be fine. Although sometimes this lag can be caused by poor connection to server. So you need to be clear if your issue is FPS or TPS.

Now you what to know what plugin is the issue. First you have not even said what plugins are running. The things you listed in the title of this issue aren’t plugins. Plugins run entirely serverside. The only way a plugin will effect your performance is if it is causing the server TPS to drop. 
First Forge is what allows mods to run. You can not run TFC without running a forge client. Player API is a core mod that allows you to run a bunch of other mods, such as smart moving. Bukkit is a plugin API and is used by such things as CraftBukkit, Spigot and Cauldron to allow servers to run plugins. 

As for mods. Most mods run both client and server side (TFC) however some (smart moving, map mods, WAILA, etc) run only client side.

Ok so it is very confusing what you are trying to get help with, so I’ll give you some basic information since I think you are misunderstanding a number of things. But first a brief answer. I would bet your entire issue is your machine/connection being unable to deal with the huge load of render you are asking it to render. Whether this is in SMP or SSP a large amount of detail chisel blocks would crash you. No plugin is causing your issues and it is not the servers fault. The only reason that it is worse on SMP compared to SSP is that the information has to come via internet that adds just that little bit more latency. 

First Client FPS is not the same as server TPS. Are you having FPS issues or server lag issue. You can be on a server running perfectly and have single digit FPS. Your FPS is entirely your machine and its ability to process the world your client is trying to load. It has nothing to do with server. The server TPS does obviously effect you. You will see chat, block and movement lag. However your FPS will be fine. Although sometimes this lag can be caused by poor connection to server. So you need to be clear if your issue is FPS or TPS.

Now you what to know what plugin is the issue. First you have not even said what plugins are running. The things you listed in the title of this issue aren’t plugins. Plugins run entirely serverside. The only way a plugin will effect your performance is if it is causing the server TPS to drop. 
First Forge is what allows mods to run. You can not run TFC without running a forge client. Player API is a core mod that allows you to run a bunch of other mods, such as smart moving. Bukkit is a plugin API and is used by such things as CraftBukkit, Spigot and Cauldron to allow servers to run plugins. 

As for mods. Most mods run both client and server side (TFC) however some (smart moving, map mods, WAILA, etc) run only client side.

I was looking for an explanation of why I am having issues with chiseled blocks. That the issue is much worse in MP then SP. Is it related to a certain installment server side? Like those I put up front, on the title. In a past experience, I saw things go from fine to hell. After a change server side. The idea has always been stuck in my head. The reasons why all people have these problems. Is because of an installed server side. Like I saw in the past, after the server went through a change. That *Change* is something I use to know but have forgotten.

I know the person, I haven't spoke to him or her in awhile. I will try to him or her in my personal time. To find out what he or her changed. I can not, forget what I do know. I know it has some bearings on this topic. I was hoping some one else knew the answer to that. That has experienced the same thing.

I do very much appreciate all the information. It clears up some things. I never had chat issues while this was happening. Only lag spikes every amount of seconds and when I placed or removed blocks. I couldn't notice a drop in FPS at all. So maybe its TPS. I will not waste peoples time anymore. I have so enough.

I'm closing the issue at hand. I appreciate every one who has contributed to trying to answer my questions to the best of their knowledge. As confusing as it seems to have been. I had only expected people to understand what I was going through that has also experienced it. That could bring some light to the issue. And many of you have. Their is still some unexplained things I'd like to know but I will try to find these things out personally. I did not expect people to be so confused and will be much clearer in the future. We learn from our mistakes. I am only human.

If any one has anymore information they would like to add after reading through this topic. Please contact me instead of posting here.

ISSUE IS CLOSED

ISSUE IS CLOSED

ISSUE IS CLOSED