Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
FirstFlyte

Mini-Map Mods: What's your favorite [B79] mini-map, and why?

50 posts in this topic

Hello,

There are several mini-map mods out there for 'keeping track of where things are for further exploration later'. As a noob to TFC, I'd like to hear from the player community on which mini-map they have settled on, and why. I have used both JourneyMap and MapWriter - I expect that there are others. Looking for a best-of-breed, even if it's subjective. :)

Have you got a favorite you keep going back to, and if so, what makes it the best mini-map mod for you?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

FirstFlyte

ps. Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question. If not, please advise.

So prior to 1.7.10, I was a die-hard voxel/zan's minimap fan. I loved the style, I loved how it behaved, etc. Unfortunately, when Zan's updated to Minecraft 1.7+, a lot of this functionality changed and the map seemed a bit gaudy to me.

I decided to try out JourneyMap, since it was suggested in IRC. I quickly fell in love with the core features of JourneyMap such as how it handled waypoints, the minimap, the large map, etc. However, there were a few odd visual things in JourneyMap that were ugly compared to Voxel. Primarily, I didn't like the overall color palette/look of the blocks on the map, and I found the mob radar icons ugly, and the directional pointer underneath them annoying as well.

Luckily for me, JourneyMap 5.0 recently released, and with it came an amazing array of things that I could configure and change. It allows the use of custom mob radar icons, so I was able to use the old icons from Zan's that I had grown to love so much. There is also a massive config file for picking the colorhex value for every single block that the map renders.

It took probably a few hours worth of work to get everything exactly how I wanted it to look, but I am extremely satisfied with my end result. Obviously I am a rare case, and most players likely won't put in so much effort to tweak a map to their style, but the fact that JourneyMap allows all of this tweaking to begin with was something huge for me.

So my advice would definitely be to try out all the map mods you can get your hands on, and figure out which one has the best fit for you right out of the box. At the same time, I strongly suggest looking at the flexibility of each map, and how much of it can actually be configured. There may not be a perfect minimap for you that comes straight out of the box, but it is likely there might be one out there that you can configure to your tastes.

In response to the PS, this was indeed the perfectly correct forum for this question. :)

Well, I was really stubborn about using map mods when I got back into TFC. I was determined to make it work with as close to vanillla as possible...then I realized the scale of how far you have to go for certain key components and settled for Mapwriter like most other people. I did really like voxel maps, but for some reason, I never thought of using them. I think a sort of hybrid type of map mod would probably be perfect for me personally, but I don't really know if that could be done. I do keep hearing that Journeymap is good, but I can't speak for it because I haven't tried it yet.

Well, I don't know if it's just me, but I have terrible FPS drops while using Journey, independently of TFC. Since it looks it works so good for you, Kitty, did you make any tweak to the configs of journey? Even if I allocate 4 gigs of ram to Minecraft it lags...

I use MapWriter because it allows me to zoom out as much as I want. Its waypoint support could use some improvement though.

… Luckily for me, JourneyMap 5.0 recently released, …

When I tried to install this (5.0.0RC4 Unlimited) it said it needed Forge minimum 10.13.2.1230 (TFC uses 10.13.1.1217?).

I use MapWriter because it allows me to zoom out as much as I want. Its waypoint support could use some improvement though.

When I tried to install this (5.0.0RC4 Unlimited) it said it needed Forge minimum 10.13.2.1230 (TFC uses 10.13.1.1217?).

TFC 79.11 is out which requires a higher forge version than what JourneyMap requires. :)

@Kitty any chance of you sharing the changes you made to JourneyMap? :)

Well, I don't know if it's just me, but I have terrible FPS drops while using Journey, independently of TFC. Since it looks it works so good for you, Kitty, did you make any tweak to the configs of journey? Even if I allocate 4 gigs of ram to Minecraft it lags...

Those issues should be resolved in JourneyMap 5 he did a lot of optimizations to make it smoother and less resource hungry.

I have to say JourneyMap is my favorite map mod. Though my view is somewhat bias since I write the server side mod for it, the developer techbrew is always ontop of fixing issues. Currently JourneyMap and TFC have an issue where the grass renders as grey sometimes. He is working on it and trying to get it resolved before the official 5.0 release is out.

@Kitty any chance of you sharing the changes you made to JourneyMap? :)

Some of the changes that I made were directly to the mod file itself, so I can't easily distribute the changes that I made without redistributing the mod itself. I could possibly make a guide walking you through the steps of how I made the changes, but in my experience that is usually more trouble than it's worth, as a lot of users can't follow steps for editing jar files.

I have to say JourneyMap is my favorite map mod. Though my view is somewhat bias since I write the server side mod for it, the developer techbrew is always ontop of fixing issues. Currently JourneyMap and TFC have an issue where the grass renders as grey sometimes. He is working on it and trying to get it resolved before the official 5.0 release is out.

?? The official 5.0 release has been out for a while now. Even the website has 5.0 listed as an official release for a few days now.

I've been a fan of MapWriter for a while now. Its waypoint interface is cumbersome, and it's not as good as JourneyMap when exploring underground, but it's lightweight and open source, which makes me happy.

Some of the changes that I made were directly to the mod file itself, so I can't easily distribute the changes that I made without redistributing the mod itself. I could possibly make a guide walking you through the steps of how I made the changes, but in my experience that is usually more trouble than it's worth, as a lot of users can't follow steps for editing jar files.

?? The official 5.0 release has been out for a while now. Even the website has 5.0 listed as an official release for a few days now.

Current 5.0RC4 Release Candidate. Not official 5.0. 

Also I would suggest coming to #journeymap on irc.esper.net and talk about your changes with techbrew so he could add them as options. 

Current 5.0RC4 Release Candidate. Not official 5.0. 

Ah, I was wondering what that RC stood for. I've never seen that style of version numbering before, so it's a bit confusing.

Back then it was Rei/Zan, but nowadays it's Journeymap.

Good Waypoints-Interface, very customizable, promising upcoming features, and, of course, working Mapping, not to forget the great support!

Currently it has a few problems with TFC, but they're close to be fixed (Thanks to Kittychanley for helping Mysticdrew/techbrew with that ;D)

On my current play through I'm not using a map at all to keep it challenging.

I've starting putting signs up.

e.g. a sign saying "Koalinite just behind 2nd mountain" and facing it in the direction of the two mountains (you can see one).

Also beams make great markers since they automatically go 3 high, then I put a wood plank on 1-2 sides to show a path direction.

Lines of torches are good, even if they go out they still mark a pathway.

I do wish the proper in game maps would work better, or that the minimap could plug in to the fact you have to craft something.

On my current play through I'm not using a map at all to keep it challenging.

I've starting putting signs up.

e.g. a sign saying "Koalinite just behind 2nd mountain" and facing it in the direction of the two mountains (you can see one).

Also beams make great markers since they automatically go 3 high, then I put a wood plank on 1-2 sides to show a path direction.

Lines of torches are good, even if they go out they still mark a pathway.

I do wish the proper in game maps would work better, or that the minimap could plug in to the fact you have to craft something.

I'm guessing vanilla maps don't work in TFC?

i loved rei and zans, but for tfc have been using map writer andrecentll added journey map - both since they work, both have their positive points and own set of problems, but it's all beta

MapWriter, because i can zoom out and have a worldmap

I'm guessing vanilla maps don't work in TFC?

Vanilla maps do work in TFC, but you'll need 4 wrought iron ingots and a piece of redstone to make the compass, as well as find some reeds for the paper to make the maps. Everything else is vanilla though, so you can put them on display in item frames and everything.

Vanilla maps do work in TFC, but you'll need 4 wrought iron ingots and a piece of redstone to make the compass, as well as find some reeds for the paper to make the maps. Everything else is vanilla though, so you can put them on display in item frames and everything.

Oh really? I didn't know that! I'll be sure to try that as soon as I arrive in iron age :)I personally have never once used a map mod before, but the vanilla map can really be helpful!Since my surroundings are loaded with iron ores, that shouldn't be all that expensive ...

That's great then :) If someone really wanted to, they could really play this game hardcore and only use maps made in game. I might try that if I can get good enough at this game to keep track of locations.

That's great then :) If someone really wanted to, they could really play this game hardcore and only use maps made in game. I might try that if I can get good enough at this game to keep track of locations.

That's exactly what I plan to do. As I said, I never used map mods, ever. For my B77 world, I believe, I even drew a map with a pencil on paper that covered a considerable area with points of interests on it.I do this not because I like hardcore in games, but to work with high tech GPS systems in a game like TFC really seems immersion braking to me! I do use F3 in combination with screenshots that I may look up when outside the game, and make notes on paper with coordinates but that is as far as I'm willing to go.We really need ingame maps worthy of TFC, but that horse has been beaten to death several times, I guess ...

… We really need ingame maps worthy of TFC, but that horse has been beaten to death several times, I guess ...

Maybe if you could make maps with just paper and markings, that would be make them possible in early days. Waypoints would still have to wait for metal though.

Just wanted to share my workaround of not having proper maps in TFC- I use Journeymap with minimap disabled and waypoints enabled only on map. That way it feels less cheaty becouse you have to "take out" your map and finding waypoints exact location is far harder.

Hope someone will get inspired by this :P

Hmmmm......I like that idea. I downloaded journeymap yesterday after the people on the server finally managed to convince me, but the minimap still feels a little cheaty. I'll see how my conscious responds to this change.