Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Zzapdragon

Forging.

21 posts in this topic

Is anyone else freakishly good at forging? All of my friends and people I've met on servers say it's hard and they friggin suck. I try to explain to them how easy it is to line up the arrows right but they always end up just mashing techniques like a madman until they get it right. Nobody I've met takes their time. I'm genuinely not trying to brag here, I'm just wondering if there are other people who literally end up being the main smith for half their server community sometimes. Does anyone have tips or some tutorials I can show to some friends? What are some strategies you guys use? Any good stories?

I consider my self decent in forging but i do start mashing on new tools. I wouldn't say forging is hard just tricky.

When im having trouble getting the arrows lined up, I force the line up using what ever steps I need, then I do the 3 required steps. Where the green arrow is after, is where it should be on the other side of the red arrow when I start. Do that and its not to hard.

I would say I'm a pretty good smith, I especially like to forge armor, because it's the most complicated

Why would you forge tools? Isn't it easier to make tools with clay molds?

Why would you forge tools? Isn't it easier to make tools with clay molds?

Yeah, but only until you reach the Iron Age. You can't smelt iron ores with vessels.[Edit:] Just to confirm: it is not possible to fill tool molds with bloomery/forge smelted wrought iron in a ceramic mold, or is it?

also forging tools and weapons with a high skill i believe increases the item's durability so it'll last longer

Yeah, but only until you reach the Iron Age. You can't smelt iron ores with vessels.[Edit:] Just to confirm: it is not possible to fill tool molds with bloomery/forge smelted wrought iron in a ceramic mold, or is it?

I believe that it is possible to use a crucible to melt wrought iron down to liquid and pour it into a ceramic mold.

I believe that it is possible to use a crucible to melt wrought iron down to liquid and pour it into a ceramic mold.

That is not possible only copper and bronze can be put into tool molds

When I start smithing a tool I've never smithed before on a new world, I usually use trial and error to get it right. Because I've smithed a lot, I guesstimate where the arrow needs to be placed and then go from there. It is vital that you know what the smithing actions do, preferrably exactly but if you know the order of magnitude each action does, you'll always get there through trial and error. After you got an item right, remember or note down the actions you have done to get there. If it was messy, try to make another tool and optimize the actions taken.

People unexperienced in smithing don't always realize what all the smithing actions do and what their last 3 required actions have to be.

Another tip is that when you really messed up, you can remelt the worked ingot in your forge/crucible and start over.

That is not possible only copper and bronze can be put into tool molds

I wasn't talking about tool molds. I was talking about ceramic (ingot) molds.

Edit: looking back, I had misread Thrainn's question. Iron and beyond cannot be cast into anything but an ingot.

Sadly, I've never gotten to that stage yet. I never manage to find myself chalk (Or what else it says on the wiki) I need to make Flux. I've cheated and played with my younger brother in creative... but I was smashing the buttons because I had nothing to lose. Other than that, I think learning to smith isn't that hard. As Metamorfos said, keep going until you get it. Once you get it, try again, but try to get more accurate. Eventually your'll get a 100% perfect pattern down, and your'll have nothing to fear other than not finding more Flux!

BTW, (No, not Better Than Wolves...) does anyone know how to find the stones needed for Flux? I've traveled far and wide, and never manage to travel far enough to find a place with those types of stones. Am I just not setting up enough bases and roads, and then not continuing out far enough? I generally travel out half a day, then turn back and make it home by night fall. Sometimes I'll be out until night... but I've only tried that once or twice.

@Teknonick, you aren't going out far enough... one of my seeds i traveled (by day) 12 days before finding something for flux.

@Red3Tango. Oh. Dang it. Okay... thanks for the input. I find it a little crazy that you have to go that far... but I'll do it. For science. I'll also make sure my inventory is empty, and bring a barrel filled with large vessels, filled with small vessels, just so I can carry enough back with me. :3 I'll leave no ground in the entire area if I have to!

@Red3Tango. Oh. Dang it. Okay... thanks for the input. I find it a little crazy that you have to go that far... but I'll do it. For science. I'll also make sure my inventory is empty, and bring a barrel filled with large vessels, filled with small vessels, just so I can carry enough back with me. :3 I'll leave no ground in the entire area if I have to!

It is not uncommon in TFC for a player to travel at a minimum 10,000 blocks in one direction to find a specific material. The Minecraft wiki says that Steve's walking speed on flat terrain is about 4.3 blocks per second. Round that up to 5 to account for how crazy TFC terrain can be and you're looking at 33 minutes and 20 seconds, or just over an in-game day, night and day again you are travelling in a perfectly straight line.

Smithing confused me because i assumed the buttons move it left/right for equal amounts, once i looked it up in the source-code and wrote it down on a piece of paper it became easy.

But i also looked for Flux A LONG TIME in my first year. Didnt want to cut all the trees in the area and so i couldnt build a house and ended up with a thatch hut (walls n everything).

It is not uncommon in TFC for a player to travel at a minimum 10,000 blocks in one direction to find a specific material. The Minecraft wiki says that Steve's walking speed on flat terrain is about 4.3 blocks per second. Round that up to 5 to account for how crazy TFC terrain can be and you're looking at 33 minutes and 20 seconds, or just over an in-game day, night and day again you are travelling in a perfectly straight line.

Okay, thank you. I'm very glad I have to walk such a long distance, because before there was almost no reason to ever explore your world to find anything. I just don't play very often due to my schooling, and that's probably the only reason (I tend to stay close to my house because I don't write down the co-ordinates... I don't like getting lost. xD) I'm not finding it. I'll just have to try harder, build roads, and have safe-houses! I love safe houses. I've never had to build them 10,000 blocks apart before, though. :o

You're going to want them closer than 10 kilometers. You can't travel that far on foot in a day.You're going to probably need several along the way.

Oh. I'll just space them perfectly along the road that during night I can light the torches in the house and wait it out. Should be good enough.

I also hate how you need flux to get leather stuff going. :(

I'm ok at smiting I guess.

I mean, I can make the tools, it just takes a while... and a lot of re-heating...

I don't want to be counting each and every pixel or something, but sometimes, just looking at it and guessing can take a long time...

I'm ok at smiting I guess.

I mean, I can make the tools, it just takes a while... and a lot of re-heating...

I don't want to be counting each and every pixel or something, but sometimes, just looking at it and guessing can take a long time...

(Sorry, this is off-topic... but...)

"Ok" at smithing, but awesome at role-playing! I read your story thing in your sig. Very good! Over on the Minecraft Forums, I actually host a few RPs, and you might be interested in joining. Send me a PM if you are.

I'd also like to know when you plan to do more. I liked the story very much, and want to read more. :3

I'm pretty good at smiting too. Give me a mace and I can smite all day!