Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TheGamingFaux

Sandwiches

32 posts in this topic

So after hitting expert I noticed (+-5)- (+-20) What does this mean? is it good/bad? Also whats the order for the things it says (sweet,sour,bitter,salty,savory)

The numbers represent how far away from perfect the food is. You're aiming for 0.

As for the order of the tastes:

Not
Not Very
Somewhat
Moderately
Perfectly
Overly
Very
Extremely
Ridiculously

You are aiming for Perfectly.

Whats the benefit of being close to perfect ?

What determines the taste ? I have 2 stacks of onions, both have different sour values ?!

#1. Food your character likes makes him more saturated, meaning he doesn't have to eat so often to keep him away from the new debuffs like mining fatigue and slowness.

#2. Food taste is also determined by the soil it grew on. So an onion that you found at world spawn may taste differently than one you found some kilometres away.

Well...

as single player i've got more food than anyone can eat, so the saturation would only be of interest when out in the wild, so i have to carry less sandwiches.

But it is more important (i'd say) to have all 5 categories present than having a high saturation, so i'd rather just throw into the sandwich whatever is ready and ignore the whole feature which is somewhat sad.

Im not very fond of the whole system anyway. I'd like to prepare sandwiches as i do in reallife, onions, tomatoes, salad, thin layer of meat and cheese. In TFC this gives me major malnutrition because i dont eat fruit and besides i can only use 4 layers within the sandwich.

Just my thoughts

I like the changed to food, but I agree with NikkyD. I rarely eat all the food groups together, let alone in one day. I'd like it if I could sit down and eat my yummy sandvich when I want, then eat a healthy salad later.

Also, shouldn't there be something to make it so adding certain foods to certain dishes taste bad? I wouldn't like fruit on my sandvich. But other's might, so make that per character perhaps. (I also hate chips on my sandviches. Just a thought. :3)

...Also, shouldn't there be something to make it so adding certain foods to certain dishes taste bad? I wouldn't like fruit on my sandvich. But other's might, so make that per character perhaps. (I also hate chips on my sandviches. Just a thought. :3)

I think that is already working: if you add at least two Perfectly Sweet components you will probably get a Ridiculously Sweet sandwich - not considered best taste (Perfect)

Eh, alright. I guess that justifies my point there. :S

...snip

Im not very fond of the whole system anyway. I'd like to prepare sandwiches as i do in reallife, onions, tomatoes, salad, thin layer of meat and cheese. In TFC this gives me major malnutrition because i dont eat fruit and besides i can only use 4 layers within the sandwich.

I'd love to see a change to this too. Maybe craft a fruit yogurt or a fruit smoothie? That'd go a long way toward pushing fruit and dairy, and could also quench a little thirst. Skip the sandwich, make a nice salad, and craft a cherry cheesecake to replenish some grains, dairy, and fruit? Lots of possibilities.

I can see achievements for building a BLT, a waldorf salad (would need to add nuts as a protein) perhaps a pork sausage cheese 'n egg mcmuffin? :) How about crafting a cup of coffee that gives a slight speed boost modifier?

ps. I don't expect this to go anywhere...just thinking out loud. :)

I'd love to see a change to this too. Maybe craft a fruit yogurt or a fruit smoothie? That'd go a long way toward pushing fruit and dairy, and could also quench a little thirst. Skip the sandwich, make a nice salad, and craft a cherry cheesecake to replenish some grains, dairy, and fruit? Lots of possibilities.

I can see achievements for building a BLT, a waldorf salad (would need to add nuts as a protein) perhaps a pork sausage cheese 'n egg mcmuffin? :) How about crafting a cup of coffee that gives a slight speed boost modifier?

ps. I don't expect this to go anywhere...just thinking out loud. :)

I expect great things are to come of this post. BLT. Without the T. :3 Even if it's not added, now I want to come up with specialty foods in servers, and be able to serve "The Creeper Sub" or "Squid Supreme" or anything else I come up with. :3

I'd love to see a change to this too. Maybe craft a fruit yogurt or a fruit smoothie? That'd go a long way toward pushing fruit and dairy, and could also quench a little thirst. Skip the sandwich, make a nice salad, and craft a cherry cheesecake to replenish some grains, dairy, and fruit? Lots of possibilities.I can see achievements for building a BLT, a waldorf salad (would need to add nuts as a protein) perhaps a pork sausage cheese 'n egg mcmuffin? :) How about crafting a cup of coffee that gives a slight speed boost modifier?ps. I don't expect this to go anywhere...just thinking out loud. :)

McMuffins? Smoothies? A cup of coffee? Seriously??Please don't forget the timeline TFC is set in. I really don't want have my immersion ruined completely by fruit smoothies or such!In my opinion even "sandwich" is a bit too much for a game set from stone age to medieval.I'm thinking more on the lines of "stew", "soup", just "meal" or whole animals skewered over a campfire ...If you want smoothies please play Sims or something. Not even sure if you get them there. But please leave TFC alone with it.

McMuffins? Smoothies? A cup of coffee? Seriously??Please don't forget the timeline TFC is set in. I really don't want have my immersion ruined completely by fruit smoothies or such!In my opinion even "sandwich" is a bit too much for a game set from stone age to medieval.I'm thinking more on the lines of "stew", "soup", just "meal" or whole animals skewered over a campfire ...If you want smoothies please play Sims or something. Not even sure if you get them there. But please leave TFC alone with it.

Hahaha! I don't think he meant it literally. I didn't. Just more food combinations would be better. And I wouldn't mind sandviches for the nobles.

@Thrainn: for 100.000 years the homo sapiens didnt drink milk or ate cheese and they didnt have 20% less health...

And as we are producing steel, we are at least somewhere in the 18th century, so a joghurt wouldnt be that far off, or a variety of cakes etc

@Thrainn: for 100.000 years the homo sapiens didnt drink milk or ate cheese and they didnt have 20% less health...And as we are producing steel, we are at least somewhere in the 18th century, so a joghurt wouldnt be that far off, or a variety of cakes etc

I wasn't talking about realism, I was talking about immersion!And I can confidently say that a muffin and smoothies would kill my immersion in the game ...

ok, but thats highly subjective, you wouldn't have to use them. I higher variety of meals would be a benefit all in all, realism or personal feelings aside.

ok, but thats highly subjective, you wouldn't have to use them. I higher variety of meals would be a benefit all in all, realism or personal feelings aside.

That may be, that's why I made some suggestions on food variety myself, if you recall.

So...to clarify, I'm all about realism too, and I'm certainly not a fan of McDonalds. I was thinking that it would be neat to craft specific sandwiches. These are already in-game, and the timeline is about right if you credit John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich with the invention (1718-1792). And then I started thinking about sandwich recipies, and the BLT came to mind, and then I started thinking about pork sausage, eggs, and cheese - the McMuffin sprung out from my keyboard at about that time. I do apologize.

Sandwiches are powerful things to carry around - they do a marvellous job of satiating hunger, and tackle all of the food groups they include. But a sandwich, unless it's a PB&J, doesn't typically contain much fruit, especially if it's got meat in it. As such, in my realistic world, the sandwiches I make don't look after my dairy and fruit intake. And thus, I began thinking about yogurt and fruit together as a way to combine these other food groups together as a single item for consumption - the smoothie idea jumped off the keys at that time. Again, I do apologize for the creative license to the original idea.

As for coffee, sure...why not? The first coffee house in Rome opened in 1645. As for in-game mechanics, take 'em or leave 'em, but if realism is your cup of tea (pun intended), then wait for 15-20 game minutes to give the sprinting boost - I'm not suggesting it immediately gives you god-tier running power - it should not be implemented as a way to elude a mob by drinking a potion. For the record, I was thinking along the lines of suggesting a beverage that would also include a dairy boost. It's a shame we can't just drink milk - prior to the industrial age cows were kept close to the house for this purpose, and milk was served fresh from the teat. Pasteurization (late 1800's) wasn't as important until those cows moved to farms and time-to-market became a factor.

But I digress...thanks for the feedback on the suggestion - positive and negative, it's all appreciated.

Cheers,

FirstFlyte

It's a shame we can't just drink milk - prior to the industrial age cows were kept close to the house for this purpose, and milk was served fresh from the teat. Pasteurization (late 1800's) wasn't as important until those cows moved to farms and time-to-market became a factor.

Have you actually tried drinking milk from the bucket? The last I checked, it does work and it does replenish dairy.

Reminds me, spices are totally missing!

Have you actually tried drinking milk from the bucket? The last I checked, it does work and it does replenish dairy.

Uhhhh...nope. Cuz the cows I know don't know me well enough (yet). :) But thanks Kitty, I'll be sure to check that out - I thought I'd read somewhere that cheese was the only consumable dairy product, but I can't find it now. Does drinking milk also replenish thirst? I don't see it listed in the no-nonsense guide under thirst.

Thanks,

FirstFlyte

Uhhhh...nope. Cuz the cows I know don't know me well enough (yet). :) But thanks Kitty, I'll be sure to check that out - I thought I'd read somewhere that cheese was the only consumable dairy product, but I can't find it now. Does drinking milk also replenish thirst? I don't see it listed in the no-nonsense guide under thirst.

Thanks,

FirstFlyte

It does indeed replenish thirst. Also keep in mind that big yellow box that's at the top of every single wiki page, including the no-nonsense guide. :)

My mom would have never given birth to me if she drank from the bucket... yuck!

Ooh, that would be nice! If you could remove the hairs and stuff like IRL out of milk! (Sorry if I've just converted some people to not drink milk... yes, they do have tons of hair in it. And if you're not careful, it's dyed yellow.)

Well, i don't know where you live, but hair or other stuff like that is a song of the past. Noone milks cows by hand any more, and before it goes into the tank it is filtered to get rid of possible contamination. And milk being yellow is indication of inflamation in the udder, and such things are cured, usually with antibiotics. And such milk is not sold.

Source: Just today I milked 30 cows twice with my mum :)

Well, i don't know where you live, but hair or other stuff like that is a song of the past. Noone milks cows by hand any more, and before it goes into the tank it is filtered to get rid of possible contamination. And milk being yellow is indication of inflamation in the udder, and such things are cured, usually with antibiotics. And such milk is not sold.Source: Just today I milked 30 cows twice with my mum :)

By yellow, I meant the milk was contaminated. lol. And I never lived there, it was my mom back when she was younger. She lived in a commune up in Canada, and they did it by hand. In the snow. And set their coffee in the snow outside the windows of the second story. She didn't drink milk for a long time... but she does now. And I've always had. :3

Aaaah, that explains it :) I suppose then you live in North America. Do milk you're gettng is from very big 1000+ herds and in many instances is milked by robots, not humans. And if milked by humans, there is a special building called milking parlour. Cows get in by themselves, get milked and leave. So I'm 100% there is nothing in your milk besides milk. Oh, and it is pasteurised before sale, using UHT method.

Hope I didn't bore anyone to death :P