Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
NikkyD

What do you do with excess food ?

17 posts in this topic

I am set for life. I have 10 cows, 4 pigs, 5 sheep, a nice pond with hundreds of blocks of farmland around it and enough seeds to fill it.

Every season my fruit trees give me 2,5 full stacks and i have 12 trees. I have a basement with a full stack of every pickled food that there is (in a barrel with vinegar).

I want to harvest and use the food, but i dont know what to do with it ? I'm thinking about a brewery but i could produce about 50 barrels of alcohol every year, with ease... drinking alcohol in-game is useless :( so i would never consume them.

This really bothers me because i like to play, throwing food away is an ugly thing to do, so i'd like to know, what are YOU doing with all that excess food ?

Keep in mind that TFC is balanced for multiplayer. The only reason that you have an excess of food is likely because you are playing SSP, and therefore are the only one eating it or keeping it loaded so it rots.

I do keep that in mind, but if i would max my food production, i could single-handedly feed 4 to 6 players and multiplayer starts with 2. So even on a 3 player server i would expect there to be enough food.

Keep in mind that TFC is balanced for multiplayer. The only reason that you have an excess of food is likely because you are playing SSP, and therefore are the only one eating it or keeping it loaded so it rots.

Sorry to disagree but it makes no sense to me, smp, with most people planted areas and more chunks loaded.

1 chunk of farm produces food for a long time to 1 ~ 2 persons, and there is no demand nothing of work in this area.

My point is: if you live in the South and Pro Winter does not have temperature below 1 ° C, no need to check if the soil is nutrient or any cell water, you just need to plow the land and put the seed, when you need food that will will already be ready forever.

Unharvested plants do not suffer from decay, is currently the best way to have food stored forever.

The only recommendation, plant a huge area. You win.

In my opinion, the production should have according to the soil nutrient.

If the nutrient is low at harvest time the plant produces less amount of food.

That would force "someone" to effectively take care of the harvest, but would need another way to get the fertilizer in the current condition is so specific to find the game that nobody uses.

My apologies for mistake i used the translator.

Posted Image

Don't build a wall out of your corn.

I'll give you a cookie if you got that reference.

The word balance by itself means nothing

For example the Equivalent Exchange mod series is considered balanced by some people. I personally consider it cheating. Both of those are opinions

Like most Minecraft mods, TFC is balanced so its really hard to fail. Its apparently a design choice that it should even hard to fail if a bunch of players on a multiplayer server cover the same exact ground as a single person would.

If you want survival to be a struggle (whether it by SMP or SSP), this really isn't the mod for you.

Of course the devs could do both with the difficulty settings. Given that food is part of the RNG, food could be made more rare on hard/hardcore

Don't build a wall out of your corn.

I'll give you a cookie if you got that reference.

HAH! I remember that story from when I was a kid.

The word balance by itself means nothing

For example the Equivalent Exchange mod series is considered balanced by some people. I personally consider it cheating. Both of those are opinions

Like most Minecraft mods, TFC is balanced so its really hard to fail. Its apparently a design choice that it should even hard to fail if a bunch of players on a multiplayer server cover the same exact ground as a single person would.

If you want survival to be a struggle (whether it by SMP or SSP), this really isn't the mod for you.

Of course the devs could do both with the difficulty settings. Given that food is part of the RNG, food could be made more rare on hard/hardcore

But it says "survival as it should have been" ... somehow ur statement is more a personal opinion

Survival as it should have been is also a opinion. In this instance of the world, Survival refers to survival mode, not a difficult to survive mod

TFC is mostly about aesthetics, immersion, and specialization of labour. Difficulty is not one of those goals. Many people want it to be, but they tend to play other mods/modpacks because TFC isn't challenging

For those of you who complain about the fact that crops can be stored indefinitely on the plant as long as you are in a warm enough climate, there is always the config option that you could turn on so that crops die of old age. That way, if you do not harvest them shortly after they are ready, the food is gone.

there is always the config option that you could turn on so that crops die of old age. That way, if you do not harvest them shortly after they are ready, the food is gone.

Seems like that should be the default.

Seems like that should be the default.

It actually was default up until build 76, due to the amount of complaints from users on servers who would log back in after a period of time to find their entire harvest died of old age.

Beta Build 76 Changelog

• Crops no longer die from old age by default. This should make SMP somewhat more bearable for those without an unlimited amount of time to babysit their crops. Added a config option 'enableCropsDie'. Set this to true if you want more of a challenge.

Killed bull today, i have too many bulls. Chose the biggest...

Dropped 11.8 stacks of beef O-O.

With the "new" brining i needed 12 full barrels of brine and then something with the smoking didnt work properly, thought it was a 3x3 area that got smoked but only the "cross" above the pit got smoked and ofc i cant hang dried meat again to smoke so i ended up with 8 salted + dried and 4 salted + smoked. Enough meat for the next 3 years or so.

I have tons of food. I don't eat any of grain other than rice leaving all I get to animals. Been able to feed just 2 cows and sheeps for breeding in 2 game years. Seems my animals play multiplayer ;)

Since no one answered the original question: Try using pickling/smoking/drying, not for preservation, but for flavoring. Max out your cooking skill and try to find the perfect salad/sandwich for your player. 

Was thinking about that, but veggies change flavor depending on the soil they grow on or sth like that.

And if would find a perfect sandwich, i would have to eat even less ;)

I never have the problem of too much food. I changed my config files to make things a bit more difficult. I enabled crops dying, and I set my year length to 360 days. This makes the crops and animals grow a LOT slower, and it makes having large food stores a necessity in single play. I also turned off the decay protection on my food so it can very well rot away if I'm not careful in storing it and I leave it for a time.