Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
-Foxley46-

Things you think should be added to agriculture.

168 posts in this topic

OK, let's go.

I'll go first:

Dirt types that have different amount of fertility/harvest than the others.

Rain hydrating crops/farmlands.

Birdnests fall out of leaves sometimes, giving you seeds would be the most awesome thing ever for agriculture I think.

Birdnests fall out of leaves sometimes, giving you seeds would be the most awesome thing ever for agriculture I think.

That would be cool.

checking animal waste for fruit/plant seeds would add tonnes to realism factor. plus the droppings could be represented as a similar structure to flint as well as allowing players to gather a larger variety of seeds without having to travel large distances.

Something like Industrialcrafts Crossbreeding?

Without the Industrial part :)

checking animal waste for fruit/plant seeds would add tonnes to realism factor. plus the droppings could be represented as a similar structure to flint as well as allowing players to gather a larger variety of seeds without having to travel large distances.

Bit disgusting but would fit in.

Somehow...

Something like Industrialcrafts Crossbreeding?

Without the Industrial part :)

Good idea, but it should be much simpler because my brain exploded with IC2 system.

Good idea, but it should be much simpler because my brain exploded with IC2 system.

Im hoping Bioxx makes alot more plants :3 Like cabbage XD

I want to throw cabbage at everyone then run away :3

Animals take longer to mature.

Wheat/other plants takes longer to grow.

Fertilizer makes plants yield more product when harvested, up to a certain amount.

Berry bushes.

Fruit trees (apple trees where breaking leaves has a chance to drop an apple, etc).

Hunger depletes over time, requiring one to eat every day.

TFC gives me the feel of a paleolithic loner advancing up the technological ladder. I think making it harder to set up a stable food supply, forcing one to live a nomadic lifestyle of hunting and foraging until one can set up a proper farming environment would be awesome, as it would more realistically mirror how things happened for humanity -- the invention of agriculture and the development of the city were two huge advancements, and they're far too easy to do in Minecraft.

More ideas:

Cows should give more food. Significantly more food. So should pigs.

This will offset the fact that they take a great deal longer to grow from infant to adult, and be more realistic of the amount of meat produced from one animal.

This will also offset the need to eat more frequently, as your hunger would go down even if you were standing around doing nothing.

Having to provide feed for animals in a trough would be awesome.

The problem is that hunger as a mechanic itself is flawed. It is much easier, once you have a settlement to simply make a bed, set your spawn to the location and then when low on health or hunger commit suicide. This returns you instantly to full health with little or no loss if you do it in a controlled way.

Something needs to be done to counter this if agriculture and food is to become truly useful. The only possibility I can currently think of is to have hunger levels persist through dying so that it cannot be used as a free refill.

How about if you die of starvation you respawn with your entire hunger meter save 1 bar gone?

or you could spawn with death penalties, on top of having very low health and hunger. i actualy talked about this im my new health and medicine topic, it is starting to get a little low on the charts as every one seems to want to add items and entities rather then actualy focusing on features like health and hunger and how things could be made more realistic in a fun and challenging way, but if you check it out and have some good ideas or want me to remove or change parts of mine then feel free to leave a comment, if it fits well and people like it i will add it to my original post, also bioxx has already shown intrest in my ideas and said he would be checking my topic when he gets around to reworking the health and medicine systems, so head over to check it out.

oh and i would like to see alot more farmable animals. horces and ox for making transporting things and your self easier. bees for wax and honey, herbs for medicine and food. and a more in depth health and hunger system, maybe replacing the current hearts and chicken legs with bars the fill up and you need to keep eating to keep the food bar up and make sure you are in good health to keep the health bar up, hunger bar slowly drains over time but health only drops when injured, starving or otherwise harmed. and food that is prepared better fills the food meter up more, but it won't have a cap, it could be as easy as having a food icon that has a counter, each food is asigned a certain number and eating higher level foods gives more food points, and the food points slowly drain away, but eating too much gives you a bloated effect that makes you slugish and slightly more vulnerable to attacks

The problem is that hunger as a mechanic itself is flawed. It is much easier, once you have a settlement to simply make a bed, set your spawn to the location and then when low on health or hunger commit suicide. This returns you instantly to full health with little or no loss if you do it in a controlled way.

Something needs to be done to counter this if agriculture and food is to become truly useful. The only possibility I can currently think of is to have hunger levels persist through dying so that it cannot be used as a free refill.

This is actually being removed so when you spawn you are very low on hunger and will need food.. It is just waiting the rest of the agriculture stuff to my knowledge.

Animals take longer to mature.

Wheat/other plants takes longer to grow.

Fertilizer makes plants yield more product when harvested, up to a certain amount.

Berry bushes.

Fruit trees (apple trees where breaking leaves has a chance to drop an apple, etc).

Hunger depletes over time, requiring one to eat every day.

TFC gives me the feel of a paleolithic loner advancing up the technological ladder. I think making it harder to set up a stable food supply, forcing one to live a nomadic lifestyle of hunting and foraging until one can set up a proper farming environment would be awesome, as it would more realistically mirror how things happened for humanity -- the invention of agriculture and the development of the city were two huge advancements, and they're far too easy to do in Minecraft.

I liked this, The only concern with a nomadic life is how crappy minecraft can get with a large map.. So SSP this would be awesome but since Everything is going to be SMP in 1.3 this may cause issues.. Otherwise, good ideas.

Ok, lets see...

New types of meat other than pork-chops from pigs and beef from cows ex.: pigs can drop ribs other than pork-chops.

Flax for the production of string to make wool

Cotton for the production of cloth to make beds

Animal pens (more appealing block) not the ones you would use fences for but a new structure block made of other blocks with more functionality to them such as a feeding station to increase the amount of food you get per animal(except chicken)

Nutrition values changed as in bread should just fill you up by 2 meat-pops and meat up to 9

New types of baked food such as pumpkin pie or apple pie

longer animal growth

Animals decease over time other than just living forever

Food rotting causing illness

Ok, lets see...

New types of meat other than pork-chops from pigs and beef from cows ex.: pigs can drop ribs other than pork-chops.

Flax for the production of string to make wool

Cotton for the production of cloth to make beds

Animal pens (more appealing block) not the ones you would use fences for but a new structure block made of other blocks with more functionality to them such as a feeding station to increase the amount of food you get per animal(except chicken)

Nutrition values changed as in bread should just fill you up by 2 meat-pops and meat up to 9

New types of baked food such as pumpkin pie or apple pie

longer animal growth

Animals decease over time other than just living forever

Food rotting causing illness

...Pumpkin pie now.

For the love of god Bioxx pumpkin pie now.

Nom :D

I would just like to see a lot of food plates made with all those vegetables.

FUNCTIONAL plants. Meaning non-Food. I like flax to make string, and hemp or something to make rope, maybe herbs...

Food spoilage, ice houses, animal tags and perhaps even animal/player recognition? So that animals fear players who haven't fed them or pet them enough, but flock to the barn gates when their caretakers come to feed them?

...Makes it more heart breaking when you decide to slaughter them. :[

I have a feeling Bioxx would like ice houses, as they seem to mesh well with other player built structures.

Food spoilage, ice houses...

I have a feeling Bioxx would like ice houses, as they seem to mesh well with other player built structures.

yeah, and you could collect ice by breaking iceblocks. breaking it with picks gives you ice chunks, and maybe using a special ice collecting tool to collect whole blocks.(ice pick? or maybe a pick axe enchanted with an ice enchant of some sort?) and you use the ice like logs, placing them in piles. Ice piles will melt over time, but the more in each pile the longer it lasts. maybe you could put food inside the ice piles as well, you could make a 5x5x3 house out of ice blocks and cover it with stone to make it last even longer. a simple way to do the coding would be to use the firepits, ability to detect air around it. the more air around it the faster melts. if a icepile is surrounded by ices on all 6 sides it will not start melting until it is exposed to the air, temerature should also increase the melt rate

and what about salt? we could use salt to preserve food, we could use drying racks to make jerky. there are tons of ways to keep food edible. any more ideas to add to keeping food fresh

i'm currently writing a post about player built structures. The ice box is going in so wait a bit or so and we can elaborate on it there. My idea is to have a stone box with a 2*2*2 hole inside, the bottom of the hole filled with ice, so it is like an ice storage area

yeah, and you could collect ice by breaking iceblocks. breaking it with picks gives you ice chunks, and maybe using a special ice collecting tool to collect whole blocks.(ice pick? or maybe a pick axe enchanted with an ice enchant of some sort?) and you use the ice like logs, placing them in piles. Ice piles will melt over time, but the more in each pile the longer it lasts. maybe you could put food inside the ice piles as well, you could make a 5x5x3 house out of ice blocks and cover it with stone to make it last even longer. a simple way to do the coding would be to use the firepits, ability to detect air around it. the more air around it the faster melts. if a icepile is surrounded by ices on all 6 sides it will not start melting until it is exposed to the air, temerature should also increase the melt rate

This I like. Break ice to get ice chunks, then place ice chunks like logs. Surround barrels and crates filled with perishables with ice in ice houses to lengthen their shelf-life.

Or something...

Food spoilage, ice houses, animal tags and perhaps even animal/player recognition? So that animals fear players who haven't fed them or pet them enough, but flock to the barn gates when their caretakers come to feed them?

...Makes it more heart breaking when you decide to slaughter them. :[

Requiring underground storage for food to stay unspoiled would be neat, as would providing other means of food storage, such as salt packing.

Perhaps adding a craftable barrel for food storage purposes? (Storing food in a normal chest would cause meat and wheat to turn rotten within a reasonably short period of time?)

Eggs obviously could not be stored without some form of cooling (like an ice block cellar) and would encourage players to create hen-houses for day to day egg harvesting.

EDIT:

I mostly just like the idea of perishable food; prevents people from making rediculous mega farms that could never realistically be managed.

...Pumpkin pie now.

For the love of god Bioxx pumpkin pie now.

As i can see. You want to see pumpkins have other uses than just making them into lanterns. Melons also seem pointless since they only heal 2/1 hunger. I think that the more nutrient the food is, the more it fills the tank.