Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Castiel

Drinking water

36 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the current, right click, "cup and suck" drinking method?

• I like the mechanic as it is, and do not think it should be changed.
    • I like the mechanic, but think that players should get more thirst when right clicking, but still less than using a jug.
    • I like the mechanic, but think that players should get more thirst when right clicking, but more than or the same as using a jug.
    • I do not like the mechanic, and think it should be reverted to the old way of drinking through your feet.
    • I do not like the mechanic, and think it should be changed so that the players head must be submerged to drink water.
    • I do not like the mechanic, and think it should be changed so that players must be sneaking while standing next to water and holding right click on the water source.
    • I have a different idea, but do not understand coding and have no idea if it's actually feasible to implement due to how Minecraft handles players and water.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 posts in this topic

I don't really find it engaging to drink water. I like that you have to find water, but I hate standing around for a minute to drink. I don't see why it can't be faster. If it's to stop people from drinking when they are being hunted by monsters, then make people drink slower when monsters are nearby.

Yes, drinking water early game is slow and annoying. It is designed to be such. It is an incentive to progress to the next tier in order to make containers to simplify the process. Taking ~2 minutes to drink is annoying, and it makes you never want to do it again.

So no, I don't think they will change it. In fact, they changed it from previously when you foot-drank from pools of water. Enjoy the new immersion

Why not drink with our hands.If one banging in water, we drink in small quantities.Less rapidly than with a jag, and that requires us to stand still.

Why not drink with our hands.If one banging in water, we drink in small quantities.Less rapidly than with a jag, and that requires us to stand still.

That's already how it works. You right click on fresh water to drink from it, but it only gives a tiny bit, so it takes a really long time to fill up your thirst. That is what the OP is complaining about.

ok, I still trying to drink with the foot: D

So it's supposed to be an incentive to start making clay? That makes no sense. You can't do anything other than make farms without clay, you don't need an incentive to start gathering clay, and it's just going to take up inventory space one you get the jugs. If there were a difference between clean and unclean water, I could see the use for jugs, but forcing people to make them so they won't have to spend 2 minutes drinking twice a day isn't going to make me look for clay any more than I already am. Jugs are supposed to be a way to take water with you to deserts and the like, not to force you to waste either clay every time they break (10% pr use, at four uses 2 times a day makes for a lot of clay in the long run) or time on drinking.

You say that the goal is believability, but being almost unable to drink without a clay container is neither believable, engaging, or an incentive to start making clay items.

Inventory space problems? Your jug is taking up a slot?

Why not make clay pots, the newest design for carrying a range of small items--providing up to FOUR WHOLE SLOTS! Fantastic! With our new space-saving design, you can even make three pots in a pit kiln along with one jug. That's 3 inventory slots for the price of 1! And all it costs is a few minutes digging around a small spot of goldenrod--20 units. TRY IT TODAY, or your money back GUARANTEED!

Seriously though, an incentive is a bait to tempt players to do things in a certain way. Just like support beams are three tall, an incentive to design mineshafts in a certain way. Durability of metal weapons is an incentive to work toward better metals. And with clay, it's an incentive to explore, an environmental pressure similar to the environmental pressure of looking for animals, or the more obvious environmental pressure to build someplace with a bounty of freshwater.

Admittedly, I find starting water drinking droll, and I have to wonder what kind of caveman drinks ever so carefully to take a ridiculous amount of time. But early game it's a simple problem with a simple solution--I find clay, I mine 20 units, and overnight I fire it up. Voila, solution to all my problems until my inventory is clogged with pots. But then by THAT point I'm ready to settle down and get a farm going so it's not a problem.

However, your argument that it's not believable is well.... counter-intuitive. It's unrealistic to drink unpurified water at all. An answer to an argument about this could be removal of drinking with hands and the forced purification process or a more hardcore approach to purification. Which would mean you'd have to look for clay, after all. :/

You don't really bring up anything new or relevant.

My argument has nothing to do with how clean the water is.

Drinking from a jug as opposed to your hands/submerged isn't going to make the water cleaner. Comparing believable with realistic makes no sense in this case. I am not the one who chose the word "believable", that would be the admin. So saying it's not realistic means nothing when I have purposely used believable, when that is what the game aspires to do. 

As an incentive, it's worthless. I'm not going to look for clay to drink faster, I'm doing it to get started on tools. And if I start in a region with no clay, then fuck my life, I have to waste time as I look for clay. Defining incentive isn't going to make this fit into that.

Also, if you don't know that the jug makes you drink faster, then you won't find out until you need it for it's actual purpose. You won't Google "how to drink faster in terrafirmacraft". The only way to find out is to do it by accident.

To sum up, it's a waste of time, it's not an incentive to do anything that there isn't much stronger incentives for already, it's a waste of space, even if you carry around a jug, as it still takes away at least one space that you could otherwise use, being unrealistic (which this also isn't as it's purely a matter of speed) have no baring on how believable it is, and because there is no way of knowing that this is how it is, it's a hindrance for new players.

That's not an incentive, or a believable representation, it's a flawed design.

come on, just change to creative mode and you will not have to "waste time" drinking, eating, planting, searching, mining, fighting, ... playing! [:-)

if every thing was easy and fast, TFC would be no fun

(just my opinion)

why not knap wood for a cup? why they force us to use ceramic?

come on, just change to creative mode and you will not have to "waste time" drinking, eating, planting, searching, mining, fighting, ... playing! [:-)if every thing was easy and fast, TFC would be no fun(just my opinion)

It has nothing to do with being "easy". How the hell you come to that conclusion is beyond me. But congratulations on not being able to come up with an even half way decent argument, and instead ridicule me for daring to call a turd a turd. How very mature and enlightened of you.

It's about having to stand around doing nothing while I hold down the right mouse button for more than a minute, for no apparent reason other than "It's to make you look for clay"

But I'm glad you think it's fun for no other reason then "it's slow"

It has nothing to do with being "easy". How the hell you come to that conclusion is beyond me. But congratulations on not being able to come up with an even half way decent argument, and instead ridicule me for daring to call a turd a turd. How very mature and enlightened of you. It's about having to stand around doing nothing while I hold down the right mouse button for more than a minute, for no apparent reason other than "It's to make you look for clay" But I'm glad you think it's fun for no other reason then "it's slow"

sorry, It wasn't my intention to ridicule you [:-|

79.8 literally removed the old drinking system of simply sitting in water because it was even more tedious than the current system of using right click. Players would have to sit in water and just wait around for their thirst to replenish, and it really didn't make much sense. The new drinking system of holding right click makes it so that player interaction is required in order to drink, and overall the mechanic is much more believable and is actually faster than the old one.

Take a moment to think about it. A ceramic jug is fairly large, likely holding at a minimum a half gallon of water, which you chug all at once quickly quenching your thirst. The alternative is what has kindly been referred to as the "cup and suck". The player is literally cupping their hands to the water, bringing it up to their face, and sucking it up to drink it. Hands can't hold that much water, and some of it is going to spill out before you manage to get it to your face, which is why it is perfectly believable that you don't get much satisfaction of thirst each time you do it.

I think its the whole suspension of belief that your player is really thirsty and you are drinking a little at a time with your hand instead of just puting your mouth to water and gulping or something

I'm trying to think a rationale for why someone would do this and the best I can think of is you want to visualize the water in your hands before you drink it to see if it looks dirty or something

Which brings up the point, if you were really concerned with contaminants in the water you would be purifying the water before drinking.

79.8 literally removed the old drinking system of simply sitting in water because it was even more tedious than the current system of using right click. Players would have to sit in water and just wait around for their thirst to replenish, and it really didn't make much sense. The new drinking system of holding right click makes it so that player interaction is required in order to drink, and overall the mechanic is much more believable and is actually faster than the old one.

Take a moment to think about it. A ceramic jug is fairly large, likely holding at a minimum a half gallon of water, which you chug all at once quickly quenching your thirst. The alternative is what has kindly been referred to as the "cup and suck". The player is literally cupping their hands to the water, bringing it up to their face, and sucking it up to drink it. Hands can't hold that much water, and some of it is going to spill out before you manage to get it to your face, which is why it is perfectly believable that you don't get much satisfaction of thirst each time you do it.

I drank from a body of water before in real life, I simply put my face in the water and starting drinking. I don't know why anyone will be cupping their water and drinking right from their hands, especially if they're truly thirsty. That's just not very believable in my opinion, guess you need to be in that real life situation to understand though. The whole "cup and suck" concept never even occurred to me and I wasn't even dying from thirst.

Truthfully, I never really thought about this. Water from jugs being easier than drinking water by hand, I mean, why not? I'm able to drink a lot easier and faster when I use a cup rather than my hands.

But then again, even with my hands, I only need 3~5 sips to quench my thirst, and if I'm really thirsty, I'd probably be drinking straight from the water like said(unless I'm afraid to fall in, I suppose).

And about

Well, true, but one thing. It's not really all that believable to chug half a gallon of water, no matter how thirsty you are. Especially since thirst doesn't actually kill, the thirst bar emptying to me, seems less like 'dying of thirst' thirsty and more like 'really thirsty' thirsty, which for me, only takes what, three, four cups of water to quench.

Hands don't hold that much water, true, but nether does our stomachs.

All things aside, I would like if there was a faster way to drink water without a jug, but without being too op.

What about adding the 'stick face in water and drink' option to water drinking?

We could say, crouch in water and right-click to drink faster or something.

I think drink water with your hand need to fill the bar fast, and the jug to be used multiple times.

Drink from a jug will never be faster than my face under water, this hand animation can stay only for illustrate what is happening.

I agree with all the arguments in about drinking water faster without a jug. I'm just not sure if it deserves the Devs time to change something that is fixed after the first in game day. Most of the times I already have a clay jug for my first gulp of water. To be honest it bothers me more the fact that once your thirst bar is depleted a jug is not enough to bring it up again. Is also not much believable to go traveling or exploring with a clay jug. We should be using hollow horns or Bladders for drinking while exploring. 

I understand that the Devs want us to consume clay to make it a needed material, but there are other ways to do it. I find odd that as soon as we have the first copper tools we can start making barrels, witch are a recent addition in human history. Instead the clay pots and vessels were massively used throughout human history. Wine and olive oil were store in clay pots for thousands of years. Also because of the way we use clay molds, we will always need clay. 

In Canada, it is often quite cold (Where I live water temperature is below freezing 9 months per year. It's meltwater from the mountains). If you plunge your head into the water, you're most likely going to catch hypothermia.

In Canada, it is often quite cold (Where I live water temperature is below freezing 9 months per year. It's meltwater from the mountains). If you plunge your head into the water, you're most likely going to catch hypothermia.

There is a difference between dunking your head into water and putting your face in it.

Well, if you take the time to gingerly brush your lips on the silken smooth surface of the water, having to manage your balance and making sure no other part of your body enters the water, then you're going to waste a bunch of time and would be better off cupping your hands. More likely you will submerge part of your face in the water, at the very least your nose and tip of your chin. Frostbite is preferable to hypothermia, right? At least you can stuff your hands in your pockets or armpitts to warm them back up. Unlike your nose, which is affixed to your face.

Either way, the current system works perfectly fine and isn't getting changed. I think if you made a poll for this suggestion, you'd get the most "The mechanic is perfectly fine the way it is" votes.

Body temperature mechanics will discourage people from living in extermely cold areas such as the coldest areas of Canada/Russia/Norway etc. Its unlikely anyone but the most masochistic players will try living in the TFC equivalents of those climates

And Hubertus, you can't claim poll results for a poll that was never created

So then, let's add a poll.