Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trenix

Replace Fire Pit with Campfire

6 posts in this topic

The current way of making a fire pit is pretty annoying. The idea is great, but that wanted realism just doesn't work well in the game. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my sticks, attempted to light them, and had them return back to my inventory. It's very frustrating. The way we setup a kiln pit is way more fun and convenient so here's my idea.How to Build a CampfireShift clicking on the ground while holding a rock would begin the creation of a campfire. You would then have to continue placing down rocks until you form a circular pattern with them. Once that's finished, sticks could then start being placed which will begin forming a teepee in the middle of the circle. At the end, you put your straw in the campfire which will appear inside the stick teepee and then light the campfire to start it up.When the Fire DiesUnlike the fire pit where once a fire dies, you can simply add logs and relight them, once the campfire goes out, you're only left with rocks that are forming a circular pattern. That means you must redo the whole teepee process and add straw at the end to start it back up. This would make the idea of keeping a fire alive, more important. Any items within the campfire will still remain and the campfire would be an inventory as long as the stones haven't been removed.

Like.

It would have to be a sneak-right-click with rocks on the ground so as not to collide with the knapping mechanic.

Personally I build my fires log-cabin style (two pieces parallel, two pieces perpendicular on top, repeat) and I think that would be more in keeping with Minecraft's rendering style than the diagonals of a teepee. Four sticks enough?

It would be nice if there was a bed of coals that stayed lit for a while after the last log was consumed, gradually cooling.

If you make a hole in the ground for your sticks, you won't pick them up.

I have mixed feelings about this idea.

I like the idea of building a fire pit by adding the sticks and the straw. I also like your idea of making it so that you can't just add logs to a dead fire and expect them to light. I dislike your requirement for a rock circle. Barring fire safety, there is no rule that you can't make a fire without a circle of rocks. It's plenty easy to make a fire with no rocks at all, and they serve very little purpose.

If you make a hole in the ground for your sticks, you won't pick them up.

I have mixed feelings about this idea.

I like the idea of building a fire pit by adding the sticks and the straw. I also like your idea of making it so that you can't just add logs to a dead fire and expect them to light. I dislike your requirement for a rock circle. Barring fire safety, there is no rule that you can't make a fire without a circle of rocks. It's plenty easy to make a fire with no rocks at all, and they serve very little purpose.

yet the fire pit texture clearly shows rocks forming a circle around the fire.

it might be completely useless to do but picking up a few rocks (there are A LOOOOT of rocks laying about) and using them in the creation of a fire pit sounds like a nice addition!

Especially if building the thing would work the same way as pit kiln does.

It should be noted though that bioxx wants to keep highly detailed models to a minimum and this camp fire that OP talks about sounds pretty detailed. i think it's been said before that the fire pit won't change into a 3D model.

Having multible textures for each build stage of the fire pit would be well enough for me.

A big issue I can see is that the way I would see this being rendered would be like a detailed chiseled block, which are not a good idea in large numbers. The pit kiln uses a simpler renderer (8 stacked slices, rather then 512 cubes). I think this concept could be simplified by needing to have a certain number of stones in hand and shift-clicking ground to place unlit campfire (use current render and just suck it up that logs are there). Then to light you have to add sticks to one kindling slot (required) and straw or paper to second kindling slot (optional, but increases lighting %). Once it lights you can add logs. You would have limited time to add logs before kindling was used up, but kindling would produce negligible heat.

Since we can not have two blocks in the same space, and I really want to have the stew pot over the fire, I propose changing the fire camp to work similar to the kiln or forge. So you have to dig a hole in the ground. You would them add rocks, logs sticks and on top some straw, and light it up. This way the fire pit would be flat with the ground and if you put a clay vessel on top it would look similar to what the crucible on top of the forge looks like.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0