Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keen_Falcon

Tracking Skill

37 posts in this topic

Reminds me of wolves running down deer and moose and stuff.

But wolves have the advantage of being wolves.

I think we should just stick with throwing tons of stone javelins and hoping to kill it before it runs away, and tracking it down if you really feel like it.

If we have tracking, I want to use it to find animals, not to chase one for hours hoping it tires before I get slowed by thirst, or weakened by hunger, or slaughtered by monsters.

About tracks, what if we had two types? One could be a 'old' track(or something) like the one bioxx mentioned, that leads to the (not-yet-existent) animals, and another made by the animal moving?

Because while it's true that when an animal spawns, the tracks it makes might not be very useful since the animals might be right next to the tracks, meaning tracking it is useless.

However, I have had moments where I was leading animals, and got killed, and after going back to the same place, wandered for hours looking for that animal that wandered off. Sure, they don't move that much, but they can move more than you'd expect, and in places like a forest, it can be seriously time-consuming and difficult to find them again.

Also, on deadly animals,

Moose. They are accounted for the most animal attacks in america, and worldwide, are only second to hippos, according to wikipedia, and if attacked, capable of killing even bears and wolves.

Reminds me of wolves running down deer and moose and stuff.

But wolves have the advantage of being wolves.

I think we should just stick with throwing tons of stone javelins and hoping to kill it before it runs away, and tracking it down if you really feel like it.

If we have tracking, I want to use it to find animals, not to chase one for hours hoping it tires before I get slowed by thirst, or weakened by hunger, or slaughtered by monsters.

About tracks, what if we had two types? One could be a 'old' track(or something) like the one bioxx mentioned, that leads to the (not-yet-existent) animals, and another made by the animal moving?

Because while it's true that when an animal spawns, the tracks it makes might not be very useful since the animals might be right next to the tracks, meaning tracking it is useless.

However, I have had moments where I was leading animals, and got killed, and after going back to the same place, wandered for hours looking for that animal that wandered off. Sure, they don't move that much, but they can move more than you'd expect, and in places like a forest, it can be seriously time-consuming and difficult to find them again.

Also, on deadly animals,

Moose. They are accounted for the most animal attacks in america, and worldwide, are only second to hippos, according to wikipedia, and if attacked, capable of killing even bears and wolves.

Yes, but never have I been hunted down by a moose simply for being nearby. Moose don't prey on humans.

No but they certainly will attack, especially if its mating season or if they half a calf. but I will agree that in general moose don't give a crap if a person is around, or really any other animal, nothing messes with a moose.

and freaking boars man! give them a reason to attack and they will turn stuff up side down!

i was hiking out in the woods by myself once when i suddenly stumbled right into a family of wild boars. never did i notice them until they where three meters away (rather dense vegetation)

despite them having piglets in the group they didn't bother going after me, but i fled none the less. and jesus christ do you underestimate their size from pictures

Boar don't need a reason to attack, being alive is enough reason and they are practically indestructible, rifle bullets have been known to bounce off their skull.  They would fit right in to TFC.

Also here's a pic of a moose in my yard. it was scary.

Posted Image

Thinking about programing, maybe you can add rare mobs that will spawn only when triggered after finding a x number of tracks that describes the animal routines and patch, even that when we find the animals are just square ones, the way we read the terrain can create a narrative. Narrative is all in a adventure.The tracks also can be turned to the direction of the next track, can be hided in a bush that you need to shift click with the knife, a tamed dog that can track by the smell. don't know, must read more about it. But when i am a dungeon master, i love to make ranger adventures.I'm thinking too about how a medieval village would work, about zombies, i'm thinking they are nice now, they are just monstrous guys that will prey in the hard work of others. But what about that  millenaire mod, .i like the way they work with factions. I think faction not need to be animated and work while we can see, at least not in the beginning. Maybe they can funcion like the sluicing that scan the land for ores and just spawn the itens that you will find in the region. Just sell things and give ramdom quests. I like the way minecraft comes alive let we have women and even children, after all, why the hard work if we can make the people we love feels good? If some zombie or skelleton, or just a guy with a intimidating armor messe with my family i will like to track him down like an guy in a Sergio Leone movie, i will make traps, make him suffer slowly  and kill him.Bounty hunting is so nice, this also can be a finding a x tracks like the hunting. Well, love to share ideas, i just don't know how to program a game but i admire all the hard work of the terrafirma team, you guys have donations? I can't help with my programming skill but i work and make money, and i want to thank you guys in some way.after allDead or alive guys? 

I see you're new to the forum.

no guys at all is Bioxx's verdict on the matter, the village/npc suggestion has been brought up many times before and the developers are pretty fed up with hearing about it again and again.

I hope someone goes to work and produces a village/npc addon for the mod so the suggestion can finally be put to rest!

Sorry, is so much information to read all. I just continue to play with friends, what i think is that are som many itens and so many regions, so different itens would suggest different prices,I like to play with archmedes ship, i only make the ship after i can make iron and wool, and i like to explore and communicate with different people.Anyway, as i say before, i don't have a programming skill and all i can is to share ideas and express all my gratitude to the guys that work with this mod and the guys that share ideas and knowledge about survival.

One thing that has always bugged me is that, with the possible exception of deer, the whole "animals run from you when you attack them" is really lame. You can still catch them. It would be cool if you had to have a lot of people to hunt them, or hunt from range, or even run them from off a cliff :PAlthough, with the current food dropping mechanic, cliffing wouldn't get you any food. This would necessitate a butchering mechanic where you get to take meat off of a carcass, instead of a meatsplosion.

I don't think it would be that great if you needed lots of people to hunt, People are currently able to hunt by them selves and it would also leave the SSP people out of luck.

deer and small game you should obviously be able to hunt by yourself.

however, if Dunk ever finishes that elephant he teased us with many eons ago, this creature should deffinetly only be possible to kill with the help of a gang of players

Or at the very least, the cost of your foot and your finest shirt!

All right granted, if its and elephant, buffalo or other massive game then ya I'm ok with needing people.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0