Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TheGamingFaux

Skills

16 posts in this topic

Im just wondering i have noticed differences in skills ( cooking for one) But whats the full list Novice,adept,expert,master - - - -) and what is the benefits of each one (I know smithing adds to dmg and to durability). Mainly I want to know whats after master though (it progresses so slowly after a certain point).

There shouldn't be anything after master afaik.

IIRC agriculture skill increases the chance you get 2 seeds by breaking a mature crop, instead of 1, so that you can expand your farm.

For what concerns prospecting skill, the higher it is, the lower false negatives you'll get. A false negative is when the propick says that there is nothing, but sometimes propicks can be filthy liars.

Now I'd have a pretty dumb question, but I just wanna be sure: if you have an high enough smithing skill, if you want to have higher durability and damage on a metal tool, you must work an ingot on an anvil, and not pour liquid metal in a mold, right?

pretty sure that's correct as it's using your smithing skill and early metallurgy isn't smithing

Agriculture level expert also gives you nutritient information mode on your hoe. 

I wonder if it would make sense to also introduce a animal husbandry skill, for example.

Imho the skill gain/training is way off.

Cooking and Farming are trained super fast. Every (wild) plant you pick, BAM. Every meal you make (in my case, twice daily) BAM.

I have master farming and cooking after 3 years or so and i didnt really push it. Smithing on the other hand just went from nothing to apprentice and i am about to make a black steel anvil.

I had to kill about 4 to 5 animals over the years, never needed more, butchery skill is half-way to apprentice from just that.

Been through 3 bronze propicks and im only apprentice with 50%

The reason that they are scaling differently is because for the ones that take a long time, the actual level doesn't matter.

For both cooking and farming, you have to hit specific checkpoints in order to get the "bonus" It is a digital system, either you achieved X level and you get the bonus, or you didn't, and you don't. The first however many points you get don't actually mean anything. It is the single point that puts you into the required level that triggers the bonus.

Smithing, Butchering and Prospecting are all analog systems. The very first skill point that you get has pretty much the exact same effectiveness as the 500th skill point that you get.

I'm going to use fake numbers for the sake of example. For simplicity, we will assume that it is the same number to hit that skill level, regardless of what skill it is, and that the scale is linear. Once again, this is purely for the sake of example, and is not necessarily how the system actually works.

So let's say it takes 1000 skill points to hit Expert Status.

For agriculture, points 0 through 999 do absolutely nothing regarding nutrient mode. It isn't until you hit 1,000 that you can use it. (Agriculture does have an analog system for getting more seeds)

For cooking, points 0 through 199 do absolutely nothing regarding the tooltip, it isn't until you hit 200 that you get the next tooltip. Same for 201-399, 401-599, 601-799, 801-999

For smithing, the very first point that you get increases the durability/damage of the next thing you smith. Point 499 helps out just as much as point 500 does, and the different "skill levels" are only there for bragging rights, and so you can keep track of it.

For prospecting, the very first point that you get decreases the amount of false negatives you get. Point 499 helps out just as much as point 500 does, and the different "skill levels" are only there for bragging rights, and so you can keep track of it. (Prospecting does have the single digital skill level requirement for gold panning silver).

For butchering, the very first point that you get increases the amount of meat you get from killing animals. Point 499 helps out just as much as point 500 does, and the different "skill levels" are only there for bragging rights, and so you can keep track of it.

With this system in place, it makes perfect sense that it takes longer to progress through the analog skill levels, because each and every itty bitty bit of progression is still helping you. For the digital bonuses, you want the progression to take place much much faster, because you aren't seeing any sort of difference along the way. If cooking went as slow as smithing, nobody would bother putting the effort into it, because they wouldn't see any sort of reward for the effort for a very long time.

Edit: To clarify for those of you who don't quite understand the difference between digital and analog.

Think of the digital system like a light switch. You have to sit in the dark for a long enough time before you can flip it, and then you are in full light.

Think of the analog system like a dimmer switch. Throughout the entire process, you are slowly turning the dimmer switch so that it gets brighter and brighter, until eventually you are in the same full light.

Why not add lumberjack/miner/digger skills too?

Why not add lumberjack/miner/digger skills too?

Because there's essentially no bonus that you could get from such skill that you couldn't get with just getting a higher tier metal tool.

Faster lumber gathering? More saplings/sticks? Better chance for gems? Maybe 2x2 or 3x3 mode?

Faster lumber gathering you get by using a higher tier tool, because they can break blocks faster.

If you want more saplings/sticks, use a pair of shears. They insta-break leaves and do the full drop rate, so you're swimming in them in no time.

If you want more gems, you can feed a sluice sand.

Considering how many players have a hard enough time avoiding cave ins with 1x1 mining, I don't think 2x2 or 3x3 would be a good idea.

3x3 would be good for quarry style mining and digging. Also not even considering that neutron star physics on planet surface where ore gets destroyed by falling cobblestones.

Edited by cpy

In what world does using a pickaxe 1,000 times suddenly give you the ability to break 9 times the surface area at once? It makes absolutely no sense to put a feature like that behind some arbitrary grinding of doing the same thing over and over and over. If 3x3 mining were ever to be added to TFC (which it probably won't) it would be with the addition of a new tool, not a reward for a skill.

What about a gardening skill? It would work like the seed bonus from agriculture, but it will give you double flowers/ decor plants (such as pumpkins) once you reach Expert. Or it could simply be added to agriculture itself. My main reason for this suggestion was because as of right now, even though the spawn like mad, if we use up all the nearby plants for decor, but don't want to wander too far to get more, we could simply grow them.

Edited by Mathias Ademar

What about a gardening skill? It would work like the seed bonus from agriculture, but it will give you double flowers/ decor plants (such as pumpkins) once you reach Expert. Or it could simply be added to agriculture itself. My main reason for this suggestion was because as of right now, even though the spawn like mad, if we use up all the nearby plants for decor, but don't want to wander too far to get more, we could simply grow them.

The only problem with this is that the decor plants don't actually grow. So there would be nothing stopping you from spam placing and breaking the plant over and over to get duplicates of it.