Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Commiellama

Chunk Gen Crash

9 posts in this topic

Version #: 0.79.12

SSP/SMP (Single/MultiPlayer): both

Suggested Name: chunk gen crash

Suggested Category: Severe

Description:

Using the world seed 8483780134542625046 , Travelling beyond the first island to the West crashes the game. Minecraft stops responding and doesn't generate a crash report every time, but I have attached one below. It should stop responding before you reach X:436 Z:-7942. It's not just one chunk to the west, as I travelled North for a while and then cut across West and also crashed. 

Have you deleted your config files and are still able to reproduce this bug?: Yes
*If you answered no to the above question, delete your config files and try to reproduce the bug. This question is here because many bugs are caused by mistakes in config files. All bug reports should have an answer of "Yes" to this question.

Do you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed?: Yes

If yes, which mods? Fastcraft, it also crashes without fastcraft. Tried with Java 7u71 and 8u25 (just 7 installed, just 8 installed and both installed), Minecraft 1.7.10 and forge 10.13.2.1236

If you have Optifine or Cauldron installed, can you still reproduce the bug after uninstalling them? I Don't use them
*Both Optifine and Cauldron edit the base classes of forge that TFC uses. Because of this, we cannot officially support any issues that happen only when these mods are installed.

Pastebin.com link of the Crash Report:

http://pastebin.com/vUmfdkj7

Memory: 38016 bytes (0 MB) / 1060372480 bytes (1011 MB) up to 1060372480 bytes (1011 MB)

I would suggest you try using -Xmx2G instead of -Xmx1G

Thanks for the reply Emris, the same thing happens when allotted 2GB. I'll try 4GB next out of curiousity, but there must be a problem somewhere if 1 or 2GB isn't enough for a fresh world

I have my min set to 1 and my max set to 2, and I cannot reproduce this. It does hang for maybe a minute when I hit around X = 400, but then everything loads properly.

I also tried 4GB which remained stable but the Minecraft game was still unresponsive, the hanging isn't always apparent - the area where the problem lies stop rendering new chunks and I test whether it's actually working or not by breaking surface rocks, if the rock item pops up it's okay and if no rock item appears the 'internal server' or whatever has crashed. In my case the game would never recover, nor could it generate a crash report (except once or twice). I have 8GB RAM, an i5 4670K and Radeon 7870 so performance is not an issue for me.

Are you using any arguments to help with garbage collection? I'm on a pretty crappy computer from 2010 that only has 4GB RAM, and I'm literally having no issues. I'll post screenshots in a second to show.

Here you can see that I'm beyond 436, and there are rocks floating on the ground that I just broke and instantly dropped their items:

post-3005-0-13390900-1416260605_thumb.pn

I hadn't changed any java settings until the suggestion to allocate more ram, these are my arguments from the Minecraft Launcher which are default except for changing 1G to 4G: -Xmx4G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M

Allocating too much memory can cause just as many issues as not allocating enough.

I would strongly suggest you use the following arguments:

-Xmn1G -Xms2G -Xmx2G -XX:NewSize=512M -XX:SurvivorRatio=2 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -d64 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+AggressiveOpts 

ParallelGCThreads should be set to the number of threads that your core can handle at once. So if you have a quad-core processor, set it to 4, unless that quad-core supports hyperthread, meaning it can handle 8.

I'm under the assumption that you are using 64bit Java, otherwise you will need to change ms and mx to 1G, and remove the -d64 argument.

If you are still having issues with those arguments, only then should you increase ms and mx to 4G

I tried those arguments and was on the point of saying it hadn't worked, but when I set it to 4GB and flew beyond the problem area and waited for at least 5 minutes, ocean chunks began generating (slowly). I exited the game which took another 3 minutes or so for the internal server to shut down, but the program didn't crash. I loaded the world again and it was functional with rocks breaking etc with RAM constantly at around 3GB usage, then a minute later it settled down to 800MB ish which felt much more normal. I should be able to copy some of this world into my server to generate the chunks and hopefully no more problems!

Thanks for helping with Java arguments, I feel there is still a problem but it's probably too rare and obscure to warrant looking into, and it might not even be TFC. If nobody else is having these problems then I'm happy.